Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I did a little Googling and found in Iowa the Yelow River State Forest. States that it is the best backpacking that Iowa offers
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/forestry/yell...ml#backpacking
    Have a look.
    I would like to have something within a days drive from SE Nebraska.
    I saw that too, looked at some trail journals about it. Seems the camp sites are several miles in...and that the trail doesn't believe in switchbacks!

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yes. My sons and I stealthed this a year ago, training hike for our White Mountain trip. Didn't know we going to stealth it, got there after dark, there was a parking lot but no camp ground, a couple of cars in the lot. So we left the car and took the gear a ways into the brush. Only about 20 yards from a truck track as it happens, because some local peace officer took a spin through the parking lot, looped around and came in through this track and stopped right in front of us, headlight shining straight at us. We were sitting on the ground, I told the guys to lower our heads and sit still. Officer Truck sat there for a long time, and then pulled away.

If I'd been using triptease we'd have been busted.

Took the hike the next day, when I saw lots of excellent places one could hang, and came across the campground we'd missed the night before.

just think of all the Hanna Montana you could absorb driving to this one

There are actually two parts to this part, and the southern one is southwest of Milwaukee. That's still a lot of HM

Grizz
    Wow, You were only a half hour or so from Kokomo. If you ever get over this way again give a hollar. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I have backpacked Garden of the Gods, but what is Fern Cliff? Google doesn't even know the place.
    because as I always do I spelled it wrong my spelling sucks

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...83950&t=h&z=15

and here is the illinois DNR site with some pictures as well
    http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R5/FERNE.HTM
    Last edited by cavediver2; 05-30-2008 at 15:11.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Wow, all the cool places to hang in Illinois seem to be south of St. Louis!! Like I said, it's possible, it would just take an extra day or two for me to do it.

Grizz, the Kettle Moraine has several campgrounds, but the trails are very fractured and don't necessarily run through or close to the campgrounds. It's a great place to hike, and a great winter camping spot, but I've never done it without snow. Most camping would be stealth, and sections of it see a lot of traffic due to it's fractured nature.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/kms/

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/spe...indatrail.html

Actually, I've been in the Yellow River area in Iowa before, but never hiking. It definitely has possibilities.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    More info on WI Kettle Moraine BPS sites:

Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites
    Kettle Moraine S.F.- Northern Unit's Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites Web Site are for those that prefer more remote camping and welcome the challenge of hiking to a campsite. Five of the shelters are located along the linear Ice Age Scenic Trail and a sixth is in the midst of the Zillmer Trail System. You must camp at a designated shelter campsite. Each shelter site includes an open air 3-sided structure with sleeping benches, fire ring with a partial cooking grate, and a vault toilet. Drinking water can be found within a one mile walk of each shelter. Backpack shelter campsites are not accessible by vehicle. All equipment must be packed to the site and all refuse packed out. Most trail shelter parking areas are within a half mile of the site. Occupancy is limited to 10 persons per site and is limited to 1 night. (Another site may be reserved for the 2nd night at a 2nd location or 3rd night at a 3rd location.) Only one camping party is allowed per site, per night. Important! Reservations for the backpack shelter campsites cannot be made on the web, please use the Call Center at 1-800-372-3607 to make reservations.

I'll have to get more info on where these are - I think one of them is in the Mauthe lake area, which I haven't hiked in a few due to heavy day foot traffic. It could be doable, although I like the Baraboo area better for convenience/central location. And it's a little farther from my house! Parts of the IAT around Waukesha have been paved as Bike paths, which totally blows. They just started linking all the existing trails into one system, and called it the Ice age trail, but each segment is very different from others. I don't recall these shelters, but they may be on a segment I haven't hiked, or cross-country skied when I wasn't looking for shelters.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    More info on WI Kettle Moraine BPS sites:

Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites
    Kettle Moraine S.F.- Northern Unit's Northern Unit Backpack Shelter Campsites Web Site are for those that prefer more remote camping and welcome the challenge of hiking to a campsite. Five of the shelters are located along the linear Ice Age Scenic Trail and a sixth is in the midst of the Zillmer Trail System. You must camp at a designated shelter campsite. Each shelter site includes an open air 3-sided structure with sleeping benches, fire ring with a partial cooking grate, and a vault toilet. Drinking water can be found within a one mile walk of each shelter. Backpack shelter campsites are not accessible by vehicle. All equipment must be packed to the site and all refuse packed out. Most trail shelter parking areas are within a half mile of the site. Occupancy is limited to 10 persons per site and is limited to 1 night. (Another site may be reserved for the 2nd night at a 2nd location or 3rd night at a 3rd location.) Only one camping party is allowed per site, per night. Important! Reservations for the backpack shelter campsites cannot be made on the web, please use the Call Center at 1-800-372-3607 to make reservations.

I'll have to get more info on where these are - I think one of them is in the Mauthe lake area, which I haven't hiked in a few due to heavy day foot traffic. It could be doable, although I like the Baraboo area better for convenience/central location. And it's a little farther from my house! Parts of the IAT around Waukesha have been paved as Bike paths, which totally blows. They just started linking all the existing trails into one system, and called it the Ice age trail, but each segment is very different from others. I don't recall these shelters, but they may be on a segment I haven't hiked, or cross-country skied when I wasn't looking for shelters.
    The "within one mile" thing on water source isn't good enough for me. For my 2 cents, I prefer wilderness, no shelters, no rules. Mule

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    The "within one mile" thing on water source isn't good enough for me. For my 2 cents, I prefer wilderness, no shelters, no rules. Mule
    shawnee forrest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    shawnee forrest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    That is one of the reasons I initially dismissed it to Grizz. No wilderness in SE Wisconsin - all the good trails are up north. 7 hour drive just for me, which is way too far for a group hang. Although, having an entire island to hike and camp all by yourself on Lake Superior is WWWWAAAAAAYYYY Cool. I haven't done that since they restricted access and made it a wilderness area. Or the Porcupine mountains in the UP - spectacular hiking, but way too far to go.

Shawnee?

Any more ideas? Want to get enough to do a poll.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    shawnee National forrest largest forrest in Illinois. Lot's of place's to get lost in.
    if your looking for rock formation garden of the god's in about the same area. Allot of people go there to climb rocks. And if it is just a campout all of those place will work as well. I am really thinking about setting up a campout at Fort Massac state park and I am thinking about doing it very soon maybe we can get some folks from mo,ky,tn,il to come to it kind of a quad state thing.

I will be having several smokers there plus a couple of turkey deep fryer's there as well.

Edit I would also bringing a couple of guitars as well
    Last edited by cavediver2; 05-31-2008 at 23:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast