Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Not to complicate things, if you are considering a northern hang, Michigan has some beautiful areas with lots of trees, and the North Country Scenic Trail runs right along the Manistee river, crossing the state from midpoint to lake Michigan along the river. A free permit is all that is needed to camp on state land anywhere, and hanging would not be a problem. If anyone has interest, let me know.

David
    Well, you accomplished what you said you didn't want to do. That sounds like an awesome trip, but a bit far for anyone on the other side of the big stinky pond (lk michigan.) I don't know if we are ever going to get a consensus, but we are getting a lot of great ideas. Maybe we need to start compiling a list, and thinking about dates as well. I like fall better than summer - too many things going on in summer. Less of all the bad things (crowds, heat, bugs, etc), more of the good (scenery, quiet, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Errr, since Lake Delton was just wiped off the map maybe the whole Baraboo thing isn't such a good idea...

SW Wisconsin: The Sparta area is pretty nice, and has the advantage that we could combine camping/hiking with some of the best bicycling in the midwest - the Sparta McElroy trail is legendary. Its also right off the Interstate, which makes it readily accessible.

Crud: I just checked the website for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve (http://kvr.state.wi.us/), "DUE TO HEAVY RAINS AND FLOODING, ALL trails are CLOSED". Skip that one.

Eau Claire Dells: you *do* know they are nowhere near the city of Eau Claire...they are NW of Wausau. Great spot, I've been there a coupla times as my wife is from Antigo (OK, now everyone can make fun of that name ) There's a section of the Ice Age trail over there that's been in my sights for a while, but might be better suited for October when the bugs are down. My father-in-law would be happy to do some shuttling for us if anyone wants to attempt that. Links:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/tra...atl_trail.html
    or maybe
    http://www.iceagetrail.org/PDF/Serie...20Langlade.pdf

Food for thought,
    --Kurt
    If we postpone the Midwest hang until Fall, compile some locations and start a poll of where, and when, all of these options should be available again. Kurt, that's a great place you pointed out! I've done some camping up in that neck of the woods, and it is beautiful country. I grew up with the Chequamegon National Forest in my backyard and the Apostle Islands in my front yard, and spent a lot of time in the Nicolet and the Chequamegon growing up and while in college.

B4 anyone makes fun of the place names (yes, you NCPatrick), let me tell you the story of how the Chequamegon Bay was named on Lake Superior.

Up in Northern Wisconsin, we are known for our long and brutal winters. Before the white man came to the area, the local Chippewa (Ojibwa) and Souix Indians were the local inhabitants. The first fur traders going through the area would canoe in through the lakes, visit the tribes in the spring and summer, and ship the furs back before the brutal winter hit.

After a few years of trading, a local tribe had learned enough pigeon english to briefly converse with the transient fur traders, so an intrepid French fur trader, Francois Tete dans Arriere decided to stay over the winter with the local Ojibwa Bad River tribe to get a jump on the trapping and trading in the spring. After a particularly long winter, he noticed a curious ritual that would take place each day at about the same time as the trees started budding out. A different indian brave was selected each day to go down to the lake and wade up to his groin. He'd let out a "whoop!" and return to the shore. The whole band would then return to their wigwams, heads hanging, singing a mournful song while doing a slow, shuffling dance. Then they would go on with their daily life.

This happened every day for about 3 months, or into late June, when everything changed. They picked a usual indian brave, and sent him into the lake. But this time, instead of the "whoop!", the brave waded up to his groin, smiled and yelled "Chequamegon!", and the entire tribe cheered and dove into the bay!

You see, the whole winter the entire tribe hadn't bathed. They were waiting for Lake Superior to warm up enough to be safe for the women and children to take a good bath, and the indian brave would test the water by wading up to his most sensitive spot. When they could safely brave the cold water of Lake Superior (it's only warm enough to swim in about 2-1/2 months a year,) it was customary to yell out to the local tribe in Ojibwa that the water was again safe to bathe in.

They were so proud of having learned some English, and since Francois was there in their tribe, they decided to yell it in the only other common language they shared, English. Francois, being a Frenchman and not really great in English himself, asked what all the excitement was about. The tribe yelled over and over and pointed at the lake "She Warm Again!" Of course, Francois, being the dirty frenchman he was with no thought of bathing, thought they were giving the name of the bay, and passed the name along to all the other traders.
    Last edited by fin; 06-11-2008 at 15:19.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Black River Falls?

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    It's just really interesting to hear so many place names that you've never heard before. It's like hearing a new language for the first time...
    Yes, in Wisconsin you're hearing a combo of Indian and French names, which is a bit bizarre.

OK, I'll take another stab at a hangout spot: how about Black River Falls State forest:

http://dnr.wi.gov/forestry/StateFore...r-rec-camp.htm

You can camp pretty much anywhere, good set of loop trails, the soil is sandy so hopefully The Flood won't make things impassable, fairly centrally located and right off I-94.

The backpacker.com Midwest forum had a group camp/snowshoe this winter - seems to have worked out well.

Wisconsin has a LOT of trails, but the state is getting too civilized, many of them are designed for bicycles...

--Kurt

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

har

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Francois Tete dans Arriere
    This was my first clue that I was reading quite a yarn...

--Kurt

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    This was my first clue that I was reading quite a yarn...

--Kurt
    You caught that - good eyes!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Apostle Islands

My best friend lives in Washburn, spent a lot of time there, one summer doing outdoor adventure programs with kids from the Bad River Reservation. Summer of 02. I love that area up there. Paddled the Flambeau. Lots of opportunity there. Loved the "yarn" about the bay. He worked at Northland College. Now a therapist.

Fun to make these connections.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    My best friend lives in Washburn, spent a lot of time there, one summer doing outdoor adventure programs with kids from the Bad River Reservation. Summer of 02. I love that area up there. Paddled the Flambeau. Lots of opportunity there. Loved the "yarn" about the bay. He worked at Northland College. Now a therapist.

Fun to make these connections.

David
    I grew up in Bayfield, and worked for the YCC growing up. I helped build the hiking trail on Oak Island. I miss the country up there, but not the tourists.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have been to the Yellow River State Forest in NE Iowa many times. There are 4 "back country" backpack only campsites. One is quite large and is a "Group Site" that the scouts use sometimes. It has some very nice trails. Some are horse/bike use as well but there is quite a bit of hiking only trails. There is Secure parking at the ranger station as well as multiple trailhead parking areas. It's not the SHT by any means but nice.

I used to live in huntington and worked as a waterfront director at Salamonie Reservoir in the early 70's. I am guessing DNR would crack down hard on any camping not in a designated area. It would seem prudent to check with the DNR field office before doing it. They will arrest and then ask questions. Conservation Officers in Indiana have more jurisdiction than police officers, and at least in my experience, they do not hesitate to use it. My $.02.

David
    There are 2 backpacking campsites along the snowmobile trail on the salamonie. About as primitive as you can get there. We were just there last weekend. $10.00 per night. On the South side of the lake. Trail head is at the Mount Etna boat ramp site. From there its only a 1 mile hike and the other site is about 2 miles in. Hope this helps you out some.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There is a 11 mile backpacking loop in Central Illinois called Forest Glen Preserve near Danville. http://dnr.state.il.us/INPC/Director...owholseeve.htm
    I have been there three times, twice in the winter and once just a couple of weeks ago. Never seen anyone else there. The campsites are around three miles in from either end, lots of trees to hang from, picnic tables, outhouses (one not so nice), garbage cans and fire pits. We had a cool weekend so it wasn't bad, but not sure I'd like to do it in the middle of the summer. Water was running at the times I have been there, but it could dry up in the summer. It is the closest backpacking place from Chicago aside from Kettle Moraine South. The shelters at KMS would be difficult for 10 hangers. They are up on higher points and don't have lots of room around them. There are restrictions on the distance to camp from the shelter. I have had visits from the ranger in the past. The Northern Kettles offer more room around the shelters (at least the ones I saw).
    As for FGP, you must register a week in advance (worried about over booking, right!), but you can just call and talk to them and good luck finding a map. The station there is a little unorganized. They have maps in the office, but it is never open and they are unable to put it on line. There is a map on a wood post at the trail head. They are mostly older folks and they don't know how to do it. All said, I have managed to follow the red dots on the trees .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Forgot to mention, there are no camping fees for the backcountry campsites and no parking fees at Yellow River.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast