Thread: Wet Wiggys

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●

wet wiggy's

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

That may be quite the understatement!
    hey billybob...just happened by this wet wiggy's again...

you might be interested in something i found a while ago...a forum had a big discussion with jerry ...he'd been barred, but they let him back to discuss it..

now i'm not the dummest rock in the quarry, but after page after page of explaining things, i still could not figure out what he was saying...either he don't kno himself, or he don't want anybody to kno..is all i can see.

i can try to dig it out if you want a laugh.

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    It is time to test Wet Wiggy's.

I have the +35 F over bag, so when the weather gets adequately cold (+30 to +40 F) I will go to the our front yard and tell my wife to pour 10 buckets of cold water over me when I lye in My bag with my trekking clothes on. Bag will be open during the "rain". I will be using Exped Synmat DLX 9 under me, no hammock.

How about that!?

There is only two conditions. It should happen during the night between saturday and sunday - otherwise it is no go. I can not go to the work without sleeping properly. The other condition is: no rain in forecast for that night.

How about that, indeed... how about that...

no rain ?? come on now, gotta be a realistic , real life test....some rain

and snow and wind is why the wiggy's gets wet in the first place... and

no bail out option ...you Finns are tough ...

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

I was not man enough!

Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    no rain ?? come on now, gotta be a realistic , real life test....some rain

and snow and wind is why the wiggy's gets wet in the first place... and

no bail out option ...you Finns are tough ...
    Saddly not tough enough...

But maybe some day if my canoe will capsize hopefully in early spring or late autumn storm and my Ortlieb bag will be open so that water can get in. Probably not gonna happen!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Just got a 0° super light for bushcraft ground camping Just got to try it out will be short hike or pulking 5 lbs

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I know he uses the Lamilite, which if I understand is simply Polarguard type insulation glued to the shell rather than sewn or quilted.
    i guess i missed this one billybob....i kno there is some misinformation about this out there...i've seen it before...because he uses the trade name Lamilite, somebody construed it to mean lamination....nothing of the sort..
    just sewn together on the sides (edges) like it is now...i had wiggys from the early 90's...only mystery is what variation of polarguard it was ( or wasn't )...?

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Winter usage

Two nights trip. Temperature highest at day time -5 C (23 F) and lowest at the early morning -26 C (-15 F).

Me and my father. I used the Super Light with the Overbag (Rated -40 F; - 40 C) and he used the Antarctic (Rated -60 F; -51 C).

First night in Hammocks and second night on wooden 'lean to'.

During Hammock night bottom insulation was same for both Exped Synmat 9 DLX + Fjδllrδven Ground sheet (half pad for each) side ways keeping the CSS away and for extra torso insulation. (I did actually forgot it outside from the hammock ) No wind, no snow fall -> no tarp.

My father is not used to sleeping in hammock, so he fell of the pad all the time. And that is why we did sleep the second night on ground. This was his first winter trip ever. Mysteriously he did not complain about the coldness when his feet were not on the pad and he woke up, he just said he did feel like he would fell of the whole hammock when maneuvering back on to the mattress when begin inside the bag at the same time. The second complaint was the fact that he felt that his feet were too high, I did hang the DB for him, so it was my fault. But no complaining about the coldness what so ever.

I was astonished that I did not need any other bottom insulation than the air mattress. My hammock was the SB, maybe it is so narrow and shallow that when sleeping on fully inflated mattress there was no CCS at all. I did feel a very slight hint of coldness through the mattress, but that did not keep me awake at all. And at temperature from evenings -18 (0 F) to mornings -26 C (-15 F) I feel like it was a some kind of miracle.

And here comes the praise to the Wiggy's bags. They are very robust in this kind of use. We did not remove any clothes when going to sleeping. Only our extra camp gear (insulated overall for me and down jacket + insulated bibs for my father) were left out for nights. And of course shoes. Everything else was kept over ourselves.

I had wool underwear, wool pullover, Ventile jacket and trousers, wool socks and partly wool under socks, fleece insulated wind stopper cap, polyester insulated leather gloves. All these were on during the day time activities. I also took my shoe felts inside to the bag to dry them for the next day.

It was very convenient just to sit in hammock and without any extra clothes changes to go in warm bag for a sleep and shelter! And even more so at the morning: Just to get up and going without any need to find frozen jacket or trouser hanging near hammock and then jumping around with one foot the get trousers on. And everything in my jacket pockets were also always near me: small head lamp, batteries to my camera, my cell phone etc. So no need to repositioning ever bit of delicate gear when going sleeping and no need to do it again reversal at the morning. Easy and elegant!

Second miracle was the fact that I did not use any extra head gear. I just closed the bag and slept inside it through the whole night. The small hole was over my head somewhere, so almost all my breathing was kept inside the bag. And no problems any kind of with the moisture. Praise the Wiggy's!

The wooden 'lean to' for the second night. We did not use the fire.
    Last edited by voivalin; 03-23-2013 at 08:10.

Images
    WOW! Pretty impressive that apparently you slept with your head mostly inside the bag? You mentioned that there was a breathing hole was "somewhere", and that most of your breath was inside the bag. That can be a huge warmth booster, not to forget great to avoid a frozen nose and cold eyes. But you don't feel there was any issue of the breath freezing somewhere in your bag's insulation even at minus 15F? If so, that is very impressive.

And did you wake up the next morning with every thing you slept in, and the bag, dry?

Unbelievably to me, I have done something similar with my PeaPod. But, even with the Velcro fully closed over my head, there is still some heat that can escape around the Velcro, no draft tube of any kind. I had no apparent moisture issues, but this was at no colder than 10F ( more commonly high 20sF) and usually just for a short time, the last and coldest couple of hours before dawn. But closing the pod all the way always gives an amazing boost to warmth.

I always expected to get condensation in the down but did not seem to. Others have reported the same. OTOH, when I sleep with a TQ and separate head insulation, I will get tremendous condensation on the quilts shell in the area of my face and neck, unless I rig up some sort of frost bib. The it gets all the condensation.

Hammock
    eno single nest hammock
    Insulation
    0 degree bag
    wow looks like it was a great trip
    innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower- Steve Jobs

Images
    Used my wiggy's bags for years on the ground. In the winter, I'd sleep completely inside, never an issue. It's what I was using when I lived in the bush for a couple of years. They got used everynight, not a bad thing to say about them. Was dry every morning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910