Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Wiggys

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    [QUOTE=
    A major point I would like to make is that the guy used a -20F rated bag at a temp of +38F.

I would like to see this type of thing done where the bag is rated near the temp that it is tested at.[/QUOTE]

just what i was thinking when i saw it....not a realistic real life scenario ......when its 40F someone doesnt use a sub zero bag...you might go into a sweat coma or something....but to do a wet bag experiment, the lower rating the bag, the better results....which doesn't really prove anything to me....just another beargrillystunt...

i done a real deal wet bag hypothermic close call conditions can't get much worse maybe survive or blow away or not donnar party type of backmountain hike....not planned that way....but walked out (no video)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2guns View Post
    donnar party type of backmountain hike....not planned that way....but walked out
    Point of clarification; it was the Donner Party. Says so right on my family tree.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    sorry...i been over donnEr pass enough ..i should have remembered...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just joshin ya. No foul.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    [QUOTE=BrianWillan;637083]The guy in the video with the wiggy's bag is a buddy of mine. He certainly is not afraid to test out product claims and post it to youtube.

now ya got me going........hanging on the side of a mountain in conditions that would saturate a bag....youre goin to be tip toeing around in boxer shorts ???
    come on..maybe beargrllis got a position for you..

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Go with the Dry Down if you are worried about your bag getting wet....with this product what will be the argument for synthetic vs down moving forward?

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/...t-dridown.html

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Ya I want to get one for my bush crafting on the ground trips and for inside a hot tent . That video is cool.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    Go with the Dry Down if you are worried about your bag getting wet....with this product what will be the argument for synthetic vs down moving forward?

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/...t-dridown.html
    I can't think of any, other than maybe cost! Holy Moly! I want it! Combined with the usual means of keeping down dry (DWR, dry bags, hanging above ground and caution) this should be bomb proof.

Oh man, I am going to have a lot of down to sell!

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Smile I have found my Holy Grail

I have just been sleeping in my new Wiggy's Antarctic bag with over cover bag.

Under Me I used my normal winter setup Synmat 9 DLX (for comfort and warmth) and 14 mm thick CCF pad (for daily sitting etc. use and safety if Synmat would somehow get broken). No hammock, simply sleeping on frozen ground.

Clothing was cotton pyjamas and fleece/windstopper cap. Before this bag, my warmest sleeping gear was Warbonnet Winter Black Mamba and Winter Yeti.

Temperature only -15 C (5 F), no wind, little snow fall at some point. No tarp or anything else - I could see the forest and stars!

Overtoasty warm WHOLE night. No problems with over heating related moisture at early morning. Even if the test was done in such a warm temperature there is no question about it: I can sleep anywhere, anytime in any condition Finland has to offer with this combo. (Hammock use report will follow at some point.) Lowest temperature Finland offers is somewhere bit under -40 C (- 40 F).

Usage of the two bag system is very simple. Open one zipper, go in, close one zipper, cinch three well laid down cords, sleep. And no need to adjust those cords after urinary break. Outer bag can be over your face if full coverage is needed without any anxiety about breathing or condensation near face, or it can be pressed down for the view.

Bag is big and heavy. 1) But there is no need for extra clothing in your gear list. 2) It gives a marvelous safety factor for solo trips (even if lost, exhausted, hungry and shivering from cold after ice broke under you at river passage, NO WORRY there is always safe haven to go and rest, NO WORRY for getting your down bag wet). 3) System is very simple to use. 4) There is lower rated cover bag to be used in cabins. 5) Common knowledge seems to be that Wiggy's will last your lifetime.

So, You can keep the DriDown or any similar invention. I will keep my Wiggy's bag (And my two three-season down bags, two down WB quilt systems for those times there is no canoe or pulk where to put The Behemot Antarctic bag system).

P.S. It maybe possible that I will buy a lower rated Wiggy's bag in future...
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-26-2012 at 06:18.

Images
    Voivalen, Thanks for the very interesting report of 1st night in a Wiggys! Looking forward to updates.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast