Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Wiggy's Antarctic with outer bag, second go

Because it was so hot last time at -15 C degrees (5 F) I adjusted the temperature down to -25 C (-13F). And now I'm wearing my short cotton pymajas, not long ones as it was the first time. Same fleece cap with Wind-Stopper outer layer and same Synmat DLX 9 and 14 mm CCF pad.

I'll be back!

It went well. Solid warm feeling throughout night. Bag warmed up almost instantly. Temperature dropped a bit, -28 C (-18) at the morning.

As I did not had a good really warm head gear I closed the outer bag and left the inner bag quite open. No condensation problems, because the outer bag seems to be just thin enough that vapor goes out and just thick enough that it stays over freezing point and does not condensate moisture inside. Outer bag is like a bivak with steroids. Of course it is not waterproof, but in deep cold use it probably does not get wet anyway from the dry cold snow.

But when could I get some hammock use to this bag...
    Last edited by voivalin; 02-04-2012 at 03:36.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Because it was so hot last time at -15 C degrees I adjusted the temperature down to -25 C (-13F). And now I'm wearing my short cotton pymajas, not long ones as it was the first time. Same fleece cap with Wind-Stopper outer layer and Same Synmat DLX 9 and 14 mm CCF pad.

I'll be back!
    The wiggys antarctic bag is rated to -60F on its own and with the overbag it is -80F. I think at only -13F you'll have to vent your sleeping bags. When is your trip to the place that get cold enough to use such a sleeping bag system?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Ratings

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    The wiggys antarctic bag is rated to -60F on its own and with the overbag it is -80F. I think at only -13F you'll have to vent your sleeping bags. When is your trip to the place that get cold enough to use such a sleeping bag system?

Cheers

Brian
    Sleeping gear ratings are ratings - and seldom true in real life. And even if true they are personal. And even if true and applicable to You for one night in normal conditions ratings do not apply anymore after more than one night spent in forest.

And sleeping bag ratings are made for use in ground as I did. But when one is on air in hammock ratings do no apply anymore. Ground is relatively warm compared to the flowing cold air under hammock.

And I also think Wiggy's ratings tell the coldest temperature one stays alive in that bag. We have a three number rating system here in Europe, and there is a standardized method how it is measured, all manufactures use it. First number is for women (they usually need warmer gear) to sleep comfortable (for example -8 C), second number is for men to sleep comfortable (for example -12 C) and third number tells the survival temperature (for example -21 C). And as I said, Wiggy's rating is probably the last one mentioned.

And there must always be a safety factor when one is alone somewhere far away.

These are all the reasons why I bought -62 C (-80 F) rated sleeping system even when I know I will never sleep in such a temperature. Coldest we have right now here in Finland is -40 C (-40 F). The coldest ever measured temperature we have had is -51,3 C (-64 F)

And now when I see those numbers laid out in my text I start to wonder: "Is there still enough marginal for real life hammock use?"
    Last edited by voivalin; 02-04-2012 at 03:36.

Images
    And there must always be a safety factor when one is alone somewhere far away.

These are all the reasons why I bought -62 C (-80 F) rated sleeping system even when I know I will never sleep in such a temperature. Coldest we have right now here in Finland is -40 C (-40 F). The coldest ever measured temperature we have had is -51,3 C (-64 F)

And now when I see those numbers laid out in my text I start to wonder: "Is there still enough marginal for real life hammock use?"
    Voivalen, you are my kind of guy! After I spent that late June night(snow storm) in Wyoming freezing in wet everything(but alive)- at least until everything dried out many hours later, I have often figured things exactly that way. IOW, when far(more than a long days hike) from help and the vehicle, caution and being prepared for more than is likely just seemed like a good idea. The worn out synthetic bag I was in that night was not up to the temps we had, and certainly not if even slightly wet and the user debilitated. I would have loved another pound of insulation that night! I tend to be a lot less cautious if I can always bail and get to my car after a few hours hike, and if I am with trustworthy folks rather than solo.

But injury must always be considered a possibility. But hopefully even in that scenario, if only a few hours hike from some one's car or a village/town, your friend can get you out - or get help back to you- before any problems with not quite adequate insulation can become dangerous.

Oh, forgot: for real life hammock use, if a pad is part of your set up, you can always go to ground if everything goes to wrong.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Not for safety only

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Voivalen, you are my kind of guy!
    Oh, forgot: for real life hammock use, if a pad is part of your set up, you can always go to ground if everything goes to wrong.
    I vote for simplicity and comfort also. I use the MLD Trailstar as a tarp both when on ground and in hammock. This way I do not need trees when need of rest. Only one about 40-45 inch stick, hiking pole or ski pole.

That is one reason for warm sleeping bag, TrailStar does not give a good options to prevent wind in all directions when in hammock use, but as You said one can go to the ground for those nights. And on ground TrailStar is the best light strong wind shelter.

Simplicity and comfort also mean it is easier to take a trip. If there are many individual things it is always bit messy. And if one wonders will there be shivering night ahead it is easy to stay at home.

I hope Exped Synmat 9 DLX and CCD 14 mm would be enough when in hammock. But I have no time to test it now, and at next week the weather will warmer.

One reason to test gear is the ugly fact that I do not have a possibility to go to the woods this winter. Hope it will be different next year.

Even thought of two weeks in winter wilderness alone is exhilarating!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    My Wiggys Ultima Thule bag turned up on thursday safe and sound

First impressions were that it not that big for a -20f bag and very well made with a fantastic quick release zip.

The first nights test coincided with a record breaking low temp for my village at around 3F. I made sure I was breathing into the bag a little to see how it coped with the moisture.
    I woke up in the morning feeling dry and warm as i should with a bag of this rating. There was a coating of frost around the top of the bag and my beard was solid with ice.
    I bundled the bag up, took it home and weighed it and weighed it later after it had chance to dry out completely, even though I couldn't detect any hint of soaked in moisture. I can usually feel a little moisture in these temps with down and synthetic insulation. I slept on an Exped downmat 9 lw.

The result was no weight change recorded. So far, so good. Next is to try it with damp clothing.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    ...Next is to try it with damp clothing.
    I'm waiting eagerly....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post

The result was no weight change recorded. So far, so good. Next is to try it with damp clothing.
    I'm waiting eagerly....
    I predict pretty good results compared to what could happen if sleeping in wet clothes with some bags. Though it will vary some depending on what wet clothes you go to bed in- cotton- wool- Polarguard/Primaloft etc.

I am still impressed by the performance of my PG jacket after I soaked it, went on a hike in a cold rain/snow and not only remained warm during the hike, but the jacket was bone dry after a 1.5 mile hike. My jeans, which I got wet in a small area while soaking the jacket, still had a cold wet spot after wearing them for hours indoors. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6278
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-14-2012 at 00:06.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Well I drank the Kool-Aid, 30% off on a -60F rated bag was too much to resist.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=9

I will test it thoroughly even if it has to wait until next winter...

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Warm night in Wiggy's

It is quite warm here now. I tested my winter gear in my new hammock (SB).

Down insulation has always been my favorite because it has a quite big usable temperature rating compared to synthetic insulation. Same bag can be used in warm and cold temperature. And here we can have temperatures from +30 to
    -20 F within same week sometimes, so it is a important to know one can use same bag during trip.

Last night I slept in Wiggy's Antarctic -80 F rated bag (with over bag) in hammock with Exped synmat 9 DLX and CCF pad 14 mm thick when the temperature was only +28 F.

And I survived!

During the night I did open the bag though, it was half open. But no problems with my sweat condensation anywhere. It was a quite windy, and that probably saved me from getting totally toasted.

And now I go and take the Cover bag away...
    Last edited by voivalin; 03-10-2012 at 03:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast