Thread: suspension

suspension

Dear all,

I know someone might already answered this question but I can't find that thread.... so I am gonna ask this again, sorry about that.

I have finished the body of the hammock plus a treehugger but the problem is i don't know what kind of rope I should use to whip the end of my hammock and what kind of rope i should use to attach my hammock to my treehugger.

So this is the question, What thickness and what type of rope can handle my bodyweight? Normally how long will you use? I am around 120 pounds. Also, what knot should i use to whip the end of my hammock? It would be most helpful if someone could post a video (i already searched that in youtube... but no result seems to be helpful maybe i used the wrong keywords as i am not a native english speaker...)

I appreciate your help,thank you so much!

Daniel

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danielleung314 View Post
    Dear all,

I know someone might already answered this question but I can't find that thread.... so I am gonna ask this again, sorry about that.

I have finished the body of the hammock plus a treehugger but the problem is i don't know what kind of rope I should use to whip the end of my hammock and what kind of rope i should use to attach my hammock to my treehugger.

So this is the question, What thickness and what type of rope can handle my bodyweight? Normally how long will you use? I am around 120 pounds. Also, what knot should i use to whip the end of my hammock? It would be most helpful if someone could post a video (i already searched that in youtube... but no result seems to be helpful maybe i used the wrong keywords as i am not a native english speaker...)

I appreciate your help,thank you so much!

Daniel
    Here ya go... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...8&feature=plcp - whoooo buddy!

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    ....Oh and check out also the sticky "A Brief Primer on Hammock Suspension" here

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMq9KdOtSJ0

I use the second method in both links. The video stops a second too soon and doesn't show the loop being pulled 1/2 way under the whipping.

I don't cut the ends off. This allows me to easily pull the loop back out if I want to undo the whipping.

You can use any cord that you can't break by hand to whip the hammock ends...paracord, the outer sheath from paracord, etc.

The rope to hang the hammock should have at least a 1000 lbs breaking strength. View the previously posted link for several hanging methods.

Oh man! Thanks so much for your fast reply and the helpful clip! I will post some photos as soon as possible!! Cheers!

• + New Posts