OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's

Best suspension set up for the Hammock for a non hanger

Ok, so maybe I'm trying to convert my dad to hanging. He likes that idea, but doesn't like to fiddle with things. Weight isn't a huge issue as he usually goes on just overnighters these days. I have 30' of 1" polypro webbing, and 20' of amsteel blue. The hammock I made has channels on the end....so I was thinking about making about a 12-15" continuos loop out the amsteel and run it through 2 descending rings so you didn't have the keep up with them. Run the loop through the channel on the hammock and larks head it. Cut 2 pieces of webbing at 12' and sew a loop on one end, and finish the other so it won't unravel. Wrap the strap around the tree and through the loop to cinch it to the tree. Run the free end of the webbing thru the rings, set desired height/hang angle then finish off with a slippery half hitch to secure it. So basically all Dad would have to do it throw the webbing around a tree run it through the rings and he is done. I could make him a set of whoopies...but i know he would hate having to fidget with it, and if for some reason it came undone when i wasn't around, I would never hear the end of it

So what do you guys think about that setup, and lengths proposed?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Instead of rings you may want to try elephant trunks. They are light and so easy to use. I think your dad will love them. No need to tie any knot. Very secure, and look cool. You can find the Elephant trunks at Smart Outdoors.com
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    Looks like an easy set up to me. So easy I'm converting to it. I was just going to larkshead the webbing itself to my gathered end and use a dutch clip or triglide and running the webing through the clip, around the tree and back through. Done. Id vote this is easy enough for him

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion X View Post
    Ok, so maybe I'm trying to convert my dad to hanging. He likes that idea, but doesn't like to fiddle with things. Weight isn't a huge issue as he usually goes on just overnighters these days. I have 30' of 1" polypro webbing, and 20' of amsteel blue. The hammock I made has channels on the end....so I was thinking about making about a 12-15" continuos loop out the amsteel and run it through 2 descending rings so you didn't have the keep up with them. Run the loop through the channel on the hammock and larks head it. Cut 2 pieces of webbing at 12' and sew a loop on one end, and finish the other so it won't unravel. Wrap the strap around the tree and through the loop to cinch it to the tree. Run the free end of the webbing thru the rings, set desired height/hang angle then finish off with a slippery half hitch to secure it. So basically all Dad would have to do it throw the webbing around a tree run it through the rings and he is done. I could make him a set of whoopies...but i know he would hate having to fidget with it, and if for some reason it came undone when i wasn't around, I would never hear the end of it

So what do you guys think about that setup, and lengths proposed?
    This is a pretty good set up for him IMO. If you use a carabiner on the loop that goes around the tree, he wouldn't have to undo the cinch buckles every time. He'd only have to loosen them, throw the carabiner around the tree, clip it and then tighten the cinch buckles.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Instead of rings you may want to try elephant trunks. They are light and so easy to use. I think your dad will love them. No need to tie any knot. Very secure, and look cool. You can find the Elephant trunks at Smart Outdoors.com
    I thought about those, but i'm just trying to put something together with what I have lying around. If Dad likes it, I may get him some to try out .

Quote Originally Posted by joemcc View Post
    Looks like an easy set up to me. So easy I'm converting to it. I was just going to larkshead the webbing itself to my gathered end and use a dutch clip or triglide and running the webing through the clip, around the tree and back through. Done. Id vote this is easy enough for him
    It seemed like it should work fairly well and is pretty simple and knot free. If you get a chance to give it a go, let me know how it works out for you. If I get it completed, I will post up some pics.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    Orion X, this sounds like a great solution to me. This is exactly what we do to set up the suspensions on our scout's hammocks. Nothing more to keep up with than 2 straps and a hammock. 12' Strap length is right on the money.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    This is a pretty good set up for him IMO. If you use a carabiner on the loop that goes around the tree, he wouldn't have to undo the cinch buckles every time. He'd only have to loosen them, throw the carabiner around the tree, clip it and then tighten the cinch buckles.
    Good thinking! I have a few lightweight biner's in my gear stash. I will break em out and see how that goes as well.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPappy View Post
    Orion X, this sounds like a great solution to me. This is exactly what we do to set up the suspensions on our scout's hammocks. Nothing more to keep up with than 2 straps and a hammock. 12' Strap length is right on the money.
    Awesome to hear! I'm glad my thinking was inline with what i am attempting to accomplish. I should have it all set up later tomorrow. I have a little sewing to finish up and some splicing to do.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Thats what I use. One suggestion...since you have a 30 foot piece of webbing, why not just cut it in half? That gives you 2 straps about 15 feet long instead of 2 straps and a 5-6 foot piece left over? Sure, they're a little long more often than not but when you end up having an extra long span or a couple of extra large diameter trees you have that little bit of extra...

Oh yeah, +1 on the carabiners.

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Thats what I use. One suggestion...since you have a 30 foot piece of webbing, why not just cut it in half? That gives you 2 straps about 15 feet long instead of 2 straps and a 5-6 foot piece left over? Sure, they're a little long more often than not but when you end up having an extra long span or a couple of extra large diameter trees you have that little bit of extra...

Oh yeah, +1 on the carabiners.
    I think that is a good way to go. The left over webbing would only make on extra hugger for my whoopie suspension...so it would be kind of pointless. 15' it is! Plus i can always order more for my next project .

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. As soon as get this power steering pump back on my car it will be time to get back to the good ole thread injector and finish it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast