Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Seems like it would provide a good bit of warmth too:

Mine looks like this one in the link below. it is almost excually like the orginal buff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merino-Wool-.../dp/B004AQYZ74
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Here is the link:

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Is there a link that goes with this?
    Sorry, should have included it with my post:

http://www.exmask.com/psolarbx.php

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If you're already accustomed to having a mask on your face when you sleep, try one of the cheap dust masks you can buy at Home Depot, or wherever. I experimented with these for a while during some severe weather. They seem to work very well; traps just about all of the moisture. One serious side benefit is breathing in the warm and moist air instead of the arid cold stuff. My mouth and throat weren't bone dry in the mornings; nice! It's also nice to not have your balaclava wet in the morning if you need it while hiking.

Snorkels suck! I would imagine this would be the same as a snorkel vs scuba. The scuba systems provide you with a nice and easy to take, pressurized breath of air. Snorkels; man, you'll wear yourself out just breathing. I despise surface swims to a dive site.
    Thanks Cannibal,
    The dust mask is a great idea. Can't believe I hadn't thought of that. That also led me to wonder about a surgical mask (the people over here wear them all the time to help prevent spread of colds/flu. That might also work.

I agree about snorkels and diving. As a long time diver, and after breathing off a regulator, snorkels definately suck!! Figuratively and literally. I even like to do a lot of diving upside down, just cause I like the easier breath flow, and it's fun!!
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPappy View Post
    Like Met77 said, this could create a problem with rebreathing CO2 or possibly hypoxia. You would be increasing your volume of deadspace ventilation by the volume of the tube. If that volume plus the anatomic deadspace (~150cc ) approaches a significant portion of your normal tidal volume(~750cc), you aren't exhaling enough CO2 or inhaling enough O2, similar to breathing into a big bag with a small hole in it. If you make the tube a smaller diameter, the resistance to air flow would be too high( like a straw).
    The CPAP masks have forced airflow and an exhalation valve close to the mask to prevent this from being a problem.
    Thanks DrPappy,
    I agree, there could be a problem with the CO2. The pipe would need to be very large to prevent this. CPAP masks would indeed not work because of their construction. I played with mine a bit, but because of trying to avoid the excess air flow, they have valves which, without the CPAP connected, simply vent the exhalation out directly, defeating what I thought would be the purpose.
    I'm starting to think a breathable mask is the answer as Cannibal had suggested.
    I was going to try a fleece bib, but the darn thing gives me the willies. Sleeping wth something tied around my neck is not my idea of a good time. I haven't always been a good guy, but never thought I deserved danglin' from the end of a rope...
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123