Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing

Hangs near I-40 between Kingman, AZ and Memphis?

Looks like the Air Force might be sending me (back) down to Georgia in a couple months. If the assignment works out I'll probably have to leave a few weeks before my family so my older son can finish the school year.

I'll be driving solo from Las Vegas down to Kingman, AZ, taking I-40 all the way across to Memphis and heading southeast from there.

I'll have five days to get there and would like to get in a couple hangs instead of staying at hotels the whole way.

Anyone know of good places, maybe an hour or less off of I-40, along that route?

Any info is appreciated!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge KAQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie/Straps
    So:

Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas in that order.

I'm from Arkansas, so I'll try to help. I40 in Arkansas, between the western border of the state (Fort Smith, AR) and the region (about Little Rock, maybe a bit west), runs down what we call the River Valley, from the Arkansas River. This valley sits between the Ouachita Mountains and the Ozark Mountains. I admittedly know little about the former, but I've spent a bit of time in the latter.

The problem is keeping yourself an hour or less from the interstate. I'd recommend looking into the Mulberry River area (though I've yet to go, it is on my list when I eventually get myself a boat). It's close to Ozark, AR (Exit 35 in Arkansas) and it's also near Arkansas' wine region [Altus, AR (next exit eastward, or you can state on Hwy 64)] and home to one of my favorite restaurants in the state, Kelts.

The other option I'd look into is the Big Piney Forest Service/Ozark National Forest/Buffalo River area. Access is via Hwy 7 N (Exit 81 in Russellville, AR), but it might take you more than an hour to get to.... somewhere in there. There are tons of great places to go though.

When do you have/get to make this trek?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Lake Eufaula SP in Oklahoma is about 15 minutes south of I40. Pm me for more info if you're interested.

Cove Lake is a NF Campground in Arkansas...it's less than an hour south of I40.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Check out Sylamore Creek Trail in Mountain View AR. I just went there last month and had a blast. Very scenic and rated one of the best in Arkansas. We started at Blanchard Springs Caverns and trekked north to Gunner Pool! And then south to Allison Trail Head. Beautiful area. I was impressed.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Found out today that I won't be leaving Vegas for a while.....no cross-country trip for me.

Didn't want to fire any PMs your way unless I was sure I'd be making the trip but I appreciate the offer.

Thanks again!

J

• + New Posts