WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images

Question ENO Slap Strap Pro - Use on the Hennessy?

I did a search on this info yesterday and I found what I needed BUT I didn't save the thread. Now I can't find it! UGH... I just recieved my HH Ultralite Explorer yesterday and I want to get started on breaking it in! But I would like to use these straps instead of the HH tie off method. If you anyone could assist a clueless newbie with any input that would highly appreciated.

Images
    You could tie a carabiner to each end, and just hook them in to the slap straps. It doesn't look like the slap straps include carabiners, so here are the lightest ones I have found:

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...7&idproduct=15

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The Eno slapstraps have been known to stretch quite a bit every time. I think because they're made of nylon. It might be better for you if you went with straps made from polyester or polypropelyne. There's a lot of information here about other types of hammock suspension. Do a search on "ring buckles", "cinch buckles", "tri-glides", or "suspension system". Tons of info here.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I have to say, I agree with NCPatrick. The hennessey knot is not the best suspension system, IMO. A few thoughts:

The Hennnessy knot is a bear at first. But it does the job, and the treehuggers and small-diameter line approach is the lightest weight option. Also, I think the knot is very nice looking. That is my sales pitch.

That said, there are many other approaches to suspension that are far more user-friendly with a negligable weight gain. You could order straps from Strapworks: http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ng_p/hss1s.htm As you can see, you can customize a hammock strap on that page. Then tie using the improved hammock knot: http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/improvedknot.htm

The en vogue thing around here seems to be the ring buckles: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html I have been trying this for a few hangs, and it is definatly more easily adjustable, but noticibly heavier ( I am using heavy biners and rings, so don't let that discourage you.) I suppose if you get the .8 oz. biners I linked to above, and the lightweight descending rings from SMC, you will be reasonably light. Also, Warbonnetguy is experimenting with some welded rings that would be much lighter, so hopefully we will get some info on that front really soon!

I would say these two approaches are what I would reccommend to a beginner...good luck and welcome!
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-30-2008 at 10:27.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Hennessys are are meant to be hung so that the ridge line is tight and without any slack. That would be hard to accomplish with the Slap Straps. Most people who have used them have not been very happy with their performance.

Also check out the Trucker's Hitch suspension system. You can easily modify the HH to the Trucker's Hitch with the addition of a ring or carabiner.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hennessey's are made to be hung tight and ridgeline without any slack is correct but its not that simple. The height of the huggers is critical to how far off the ground you stay. That is largely dependent on the span of the supports. It took me a while to really get a handle on that. I may be slower than others.

I like the hennessey lash. So far I have been hanging everything that way. I may modify at some point but for now... I go with what I have and feel comfortable with. :?)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Thank you all for your knowledge and replies. I see the Tri-Glides are very popular. I'm definitely going to do my research on this. The Truckers hitch looks like a risk of some slippage. HC4U have you had this problem at all? I definitely see that Slap Straps are not my best bet. Thanks again for your input. I am soooo glad I joined up here.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The trucker's hitch is called that because of its extensive use in cargo transportation over the past years. When tied correctly it is a very secure and stable hitch that unties easily even when a load has shifted. Like many superb knots and hitches it is very deceptively simple yet remarkably effective.

There are many who still prefer the buckles and/or rings. I am still very willing to mess with the Hennessey lash. Find what is comfortable for you and get up to the learning curve. That's the main thing.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The trucker's hitch is called that because of its extensive use in cargo transportation over the past years. When tied correctly it is a very secure and stable hitch that unties easily even when a load has shifted. Like many superb knots and hitches it is very deceptively simple yet remarkably effective.

There are many who still prefer the buckles and/or rings. I am still very willing to mess with the Hennessey lash. Find what is comfortable for you and get up to the learning curve. That's the main thing.
    I guess I am, NO I know I am intimidated by the HH lashing. I have to get over this. The simplest and the fastest is right up my alley lol. Practice makes perfect. Thanks Ramblinrev.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The lashing is _not_ the simplest nor the fastest. (Nor is it the trucker's hitch.) In fact it is a pain in the proverbial. BUT... I am still on the learning curve. So as I add to my equipment I will probaly add to my systems and may even fid one I really like. But money being what it is, fast, simple also need to give way to cheap. The hennessey lashing is the cheapest cause it's what I have.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast