Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    For the person interested in the silver comet. Medicine man don't forget there was a port_a_potty at the parking area 0.05 miles from the campsite on the silver comet trail. I left a deposit there. Anway, just for those who perfer sitting as opposed to squatting at the campsite.
    Last edited by Neutron; 02-26-2012 at 20:06.

Hammock
    HH expidtion Zip mod #4
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    Count me in, I already took time off work for it. Getting there isn't going to be a huge issues, but coming back from St. Louis might get interesting for me. I am thinking Amtrack from St. Louis to KC might work out fine. Found out doing 40-60 miles won't be too hard for me after I have biked between 30 and 50 everyday for the last month.

Anyone else comming that can be my riding partner from Madchens to St. Louis Amtrack Station? Just wondering.
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

I checked on the Train for Katy transportation. It is not a bike friendly commute from the end of the trail to the train station. The train will only take 4 bikes total. A reservation is required. One must arrange a communte on the other end since it does not go to the trail head.

I have checked on Local shuttles. I am working with Rhona at the Lococo House. They can haul up to 6. They can haul more more if she borrows a trailer. She is checking on that. In that situation maybe a full van load. If the SAG mentioned below pans out, they will be able to carry 2 or 3 bikes but you would have to ride in the van from Lococo House. I will need anyone interested to contact MedicineMan or me ASAP for committments. Costs look to be around $60 per person with that many. Possiblly a little higher if gas continues to "necessarly skyrocket." Possibly a little higher if we have less riders Anyway Not a bad price for a 200+ mile shuttle.

The proposal here is to have Rhona pick us up at the trail head near St Louis and shuttle us to the Western terminus on Friday 06/01. A night at the Lococo house is encourged at the begining or the end of the ride. http://www.lococohouse.com/ We plan to start the ride on 06/02 as per MedicineMan's outline.

If there is a large enough group needing a East to West Shuttle at the end of the ride, Let me know so I can see if Rhona can help arrange that as well.

I think I have arranged a option for daily SAGs for equipment for those that do not want to carry equipment. I am still working on that but it looks like this is going to be available as well. That would be nice for those wanting to visit the local wineries/breweries/sites that may be to far to ride from the trail. Obviosully, everyone using that service would need to chip in some gas money.

MedicineMan and I both know that some may want to ride only parts of the trial with us. He has the proposed hang locations for those that just want to meet or hang with us overnight. I do not think he has posted this yet. I will encourge him to do that for planning purposes. This ride is not a race. Ride at your on pace. Enjoy the sites. Everyone is invited to meet up at the hang site in the evening.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    We re looking to finish by 6/1 now. I wish we could have hooked up.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    TMI Neutron. Lol
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Lococo House looks very nice and it's within 10 miles of the east end of the trail. Did you ask, if we used their shuttle service to get to the west end, could we park our vehicles at their location? It would certainly be safer than parking at the Machens trailhead.

That would be really convenient for all of us traveling from the east to meet there and spend the night, then shuttle to the west end together.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    The Lococo House looks very nice and it's within 10 miles of the east end of the trail. Did you ask, if we used their shuttle service to get to the west end, could we park our vehicles at their location? It would certainly be safer than parking at the Machens trailhead.

That would be really convenient for all of us traveling from the east to meet there and spend the night, then shuttle to the west end together.

Jerry
    I will forward the request and see

Message back from Lococo House

"that would be fine, we have plenty of parking spaces"

Looks like that is where we should meet and park as suggested by Jerry. Waiting for MedicineMan to get back to confirm /commit to the above since he is the ramrod on this expidition

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for checking on that, Neutron. I'm looking forward to this trip.
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Ramrod? Seriously?
    OK we're back from wherever we were, now where was that....OK looks like I need to come up with some planned hang locations on a trail that isn't exactly trail friendly. That is a lot of pressure for me...looks like i need a time machine so I can plant trees, lots of them, where we need them.
    Poof is looking at the proposed mileages and we've already cross polinated that info with info gleened on the Katy website/forum. The results are the same as before looking at this from east TN; that for this large of a group to hang we will probably be dispersed within 1-3 miles each night and/or use the B&B options and campground options (which may or may not be hammock friendly) along the way.
    I know we all want to hang, on the trip I just returned from we had to be VERY creative and can I say sneek to hang. But one thing going for us is at a 50m/day pace we will have several hours to seek out the spots.
    Is a ramrod like a nimrod?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast