How cold can you go in a Clark North American

I am considering buying a clark North American hammock. How cold can you go in this hammock by putting your clothes/gear in the pockets. . .in other words, in the stock hammock. .no underquilt or extra CCF pads?

The web site advertises it is comfortable down to 30 degrees without additional insulation. Is that reasonable?

I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. I was going to buy a JRB Nest to go with it. . .then realized that I would be up to over $500 and decided to consider a Clark.

Any input would be great!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'down to 30 degrees without additional insulation' maybe for something naturally wearing a fur coat like a bear. I think most of us but not all would want insulation below 60F////

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    I haven't had mine in anything like the 30 degree range yet only into the mid 50's. I have had good luck down to those temps (and I believe I could get into the 40's easily) with an Exped 7 down mat. One of the other things that I have liked about using the Exped is it seems to just open things up a bit inside the hammock. All in all I love my Clark.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Its not that often that we get cold weather here in Florida but about a month ago it did get down to just below freezing so I had to try mine out. I have a 20deg. mummy bag that I used and nothing in the under pockets of the hammock and I slept very warm. I actually had to unzip the mummy bag in the middle of the night because I was sweating some. I did have to put my jacket under my feet though because without pockets down there you can tell a differance. Everyone will be different though depending on if you sleep warm or cold....

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I have a North American, and its my favorite winter hammock but the pockets don't really help much for keeping you warm.The hammock is to small for a pad for me and I use a underquilt on mine.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    I feel like the weather shield helps trap some of the heat in the hammock, but I don't think it's particularly warmer because of the pockets underneath. I would use the same quilts on a North American that I would use on any other hammock.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by kycamper View Post
    I am considering buying a clark North American hammock. How cold can you go in this hammock by putting your clothes/gear in the pockets. . .in other words, in the stock hammock. .no underquilt or extra CCF pads?

The web site advertises it is comfortable down to 30 degrees without additional insulation. Is that reasonable?

I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. I was going to buy a JRB Nest to go with it. . .then realized that I would be up to over $500 and decided to consider a Clark.

Any input would be great!
    THAT is a loaded question and very dependent upon how you sleep, what you wear to sleep in, how windy it is and whether a butterfly flapped it's wings in Tokyo at noon last Tuesday...

Personally, I've gone to 30 degrees using a self inflating air mattress and two summer weight bags. My MC riding gear was stuffed in some of the under pockets but not all of them. I was extremely comfortable.

A couple weeks ago, I was hanging up in Arkansas in and the nights got to the low 40's. I used a military surplus wool blanket as my pad, a 32 degree bag as a blanket and a silk sleeping bag liner as my bag. Now, THAT was comfortable.

In ordinary weather, I find a light summer weight bag to be perfect and move to cotton sheets / silk bag liner as it warms up.

The North American's "storm shield" is a major asset in keeping you warm.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    imo and from my experience the question is hard because of the wind, so i dont think that it comes down to 'how cold' alone. Ive spent some barmy summer nights in mine but one night it was windy and without anything in the pockets and while in a sleeping bag and clothed i was cold on my back. I think without doubt insulating the hammock is a necessity just incase
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    With a synthetic DIY Top and Under quilt made from 19.99 summer weight bags I have been quite comfortable to 6* with the weather shield closed up. For spring and fall I use an IX 3 layer DIY UQ @ 19oz with a light weight/summer weight Down Top Quilt @32oz that I over stuffed a bit.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    useing no underquilt i have taken my clark comfortably down to -18degf.i stuffed the pockets full off wool sweaters,pants,ect.if you are back packing you will not be able to bring enough to fill the pockets this much.
    with nothing in the pockets,no pad,i slept out to 32degf.i got cold and made sure to stuff the pockets after that.i would sleep comfy down to 45degf with nothing in the pockets,and a 32deg sleeping bag.
    lightly filling the pockets with some spare cloths,and some stuff sacks full of leaves or something would take you to 30 easy.
    the pockets will keep you warm if filled but it takes some forethought and alot of work as compared to useing an uq.
    diyin to hang

• + New Posts