Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Family of three wants to hang, please help

We do things as a family and our next adventure is to do a section hike of the AT in June. My husband and I have done our homework and we have decided to go with the hennessy explorer, ss, and because of my cold nature the over cover (just for me). We are not big people, just tall and we feel like we would like the extra room in the explorer. My husband just did not fit the expedition. My son and me fit, but would like more room. I understand the issue of more weight, but a good night sleep to me seems more important. With that being said could I have your input and could ya'll help this family find some good used equipment. Buying new for three will be costly.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    i agree with yall wanting to do things as a family i just wish that my family liked stuff i did. although on here most of the used gear go for only a few bucks cheaper than new "most hammock gear has a really good resale value. as far as a longer hammock if im not mistaken either the night owl or the dangerbird"good luck finding a used one of these though lol" are some of the largest less expencive options out there.
    just my 2 cents
    BT
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    If you are definitely set on the Explorers, occasionally explorer deluxe models come up on the for sale forum. The ultralight explorer, virtually never. Your best bet is to watch the for sale forum like a hawk. I'm not sure what it is, but people never seem to check over here before they post things for sale.
    Last edited by lymphocytosis; 01-23-2012 at 13:56.

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Check out eBay and allofcraigs.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I doubt that the Overcover would be an item you'll want to try out in June on the AT.

It's intended for use during sub-freezing weather. If you try to use that thing during the summer, you'll probably have some massive condensations issues with it.

Rather than using that, I'd suggest you make sure you carry sufficient top insulation (sleeping bag, topquilt, poncho liner, etc...) in it's place. Don't forget that insulation compresses underneath you, so you'll want to make sure you either have pads or underquilts in place...or the HH Supershelter undercover and pad.

You'll also want to make sure that you've got sufficient overhead cover (tarp) as well. If you order directly from Hennessy, ask if you can subsititute the 70d Hex tarp in place of the stock tarp...much more coverage.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Peggy:
    Have you looked into DIying you and your family some custom gathered end hammocks. You can also make your own bugnets. I do not know what level sewing skills you have but it is a cheaper option.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Thanks. Also, thanks for info about the over cover. I am very cold natured and hate to be cold. I guess I have read so much about being cold in a hammock that I am going overboard. However, we do travel out west alot (RV) and we have wanted to do some overnight kayaking trips. We also have several overnight hikes in Glacier National Park that we would like to try. We have always wanted to do the overnighters, but with our age we just did not think we could do the ground thing. These of course are all bucket list items. My husband turns 60 in May and he is ready to start checking them off. The AT is top of the list and hanging is going to make it possible. All that being said, the trips out west would be the biggest reason for the over cover.

Images
    Zero sewing skills. I really want to feel safe hanging.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Keep your eye out here. I have gotten a very fair deal on both Hennessy's including and UL. Also keep your eyes out on backpackinglight . Com. Sometimes there are hammocks posted
    Also. After 50 posts. You can participate in the PIF forum (pay it forward ). Lots of food gear , including whoopies on that thread
    For what it's worth I will be starting my thru hike end of Feb starting at Springer with HH Hyperlight
    Many others "Certain" Michele did her entire thru with a Hennessey
    Check out her trail journal
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The over cover is a cold weather piece of equipment. In my opinion it would not be useful in the mid year months. I use mine when it gets below freezing by a considerable amount. It works by trapping radiant heat from your body and breath and by adding an additional wind barrier to the system.

You would be much better off with good top/bottom insulation with the addition of a balaclava or hat if needed. At least that's my advice. I will add the Super Shelter is a touchy piece of kit. I have good luck with it plus base layer and 0* bag. (12*F) Others have found it gives them Cold Butt Syndrome as high as 40-50* F so make sure you do some testing before you get into a situation where you would not have recourse to a warm alternative.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast