Don't know if anyone else here is familiar with it, but I live in the Triad area of NC. I have been out of the hiking/camping/backpacking scene long since before I moved here some 10 years or so ago, and I am looking to get back into it and with a hammock (might even be able to get my wife into one).

I usually do not do things halfway, and when I get into something new I obsess and go in whole hog. Not having any gear I'm pretty much starting from scratch on everything - clothing, shoes, cookware, stoves, various sundries, and I am drooling to get a complete set of down quilts (already got my eye on a few). I keep telling myself that's why I bust my butt 40 every week in some strip-lighted cubicle.

I must say, I am impressed with what a cottage industry the whole camping/backpacking/hammocking scenes have going on and the quality of what is being produced, and I intend to buy as much stuff from these people as I can.

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on where I can practice getting the "hang" of hanging in my area I'd appreciate it.