Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rainey Mountain is definitely near my stomping grounds! My oldest son just started scouts this year, so I'm just starting to get to know the scouting regulars in my area..maybe we will hang sometime.

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Maybe you know Chuck Stutsman?
    He is the pastor @ Mountain City UMC and also the Camp Ranger @ Rainey Mountain.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    AB:
    no problem what so ever.......if you got any questions drop me a pm.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Check out diygearsupply.com, they have turtorials/plans for a gathered end double layer hammock with a pad "pocket" opening. Plus Scott is a great help if you have questions and you can buy your supplies from him as well. When my hammock was made, thank you sweets, these plans were used and I am very comfortable in it. I am 6'1" and 300 lbs and sleep very comfortably in the 1.9DL.
    +1

Scott also has some 2.8 oz regular nylon that has even more capacity than 1.9, and it's pretty inexpensive. I am eyeing that for myself when the funds free up. Look for the thread by Lost_biker about the material and his hammock.: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=45545. Have fun and show us how it turned out!

Quote Originally Posted by MOWOGO '72 View Post
    Maybe you know Chuck Stutsman?
    He is the pastor @ Mountain City UMC and also the Camp Ranger @ Rainey Mountain.
    I think I've met him, my church is across the street from his (Grace Bible Church, also in Mountain City), so I think I've met him through the churches, but not through Rainey Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by emjackdad View Post
    +1

Scott also has some 2.8 oz regular nylon that has even more capacity than 1.9, and it's pretty inexpensive. I am eyeing that for myself when the funds free up. Look for the thread by Lost_biker about the material and his hammock.: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=45545. Have fun and show us how it turned out!
    Thanks! I will try to make it as fun as possible, and will post some pics when I'm finished.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by emjackdad View Post
    +1

I was just going to mention this, emjackdad! Beat me to it. Scott has the 2.8 for $3.85/yard - cheaper than the 1.9. It will only add a few ounces to your set-up. I love this material - I believe it would make a great and strong single layer for you.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    I was just going to mention this, emjackdad! Beat me to it. Scott has the 2.8 for $3.85/yard - cheaper than the 1.9. It will only add a few ounces to your set-up. I love this material - I believe it would make a great and strong single layer for you.

Welcome to the forums!
    That sounds great. So, just to be clear, the 2.8 oz would be strong enough to make it a single layer? If that is the case, then it would make the overall hammock an ounce per yard lighter than doubling the 1.9, right? And should I be concerned that it is regular nylon rather than Ripstop?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Don't write off retail yet.
    I've found these on Ebay for lower prices, and it supports my normal sized frame (Taller and more mass than you!) just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammaka-Para...item9c00a95829

I use it for a back up.
    For my regular camping hammock I took an ENO Double nest and just sewed another layer on the bottom along where the existing stitching is where the colrs change to slide in a pad etc. It wasn't structural, just for holding the pad to the backside.
    Both the Eno DN and this one on EBay well exceed your weight.
    I think you will be more comfortable in a wider one, based on my ENO DoubleNest compared to the SingleNest my son uses.
    Later . .
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanBeard View Post
    That sounds great. So, just to be clear, the 2.8 oz would be strong enough to make it a single layer? If that is the case, then it would make the overall hammock an ounce per yard lighter than doubling the 1.9, right? And should I be concerned that it is regular nylon rather than Ripstop?
    I don't think you would have any problems at all with it. Yes, it's not ripstop, but ripstop isn't needed to make a hammock - plain weave nylon or polyester will do just fine. At 250ish I dont have any stretch (that I can tell) with the 2.8. It has a smooth side and a rough side - I put the rough side in so there's no chance of sliding around. I also lay very flat in my 2.8 hammock single layer.

The cost to make it was about $22.00 without the shipping costs.

I hate to say it but the 2.8 material hammock I made is more comfortable than my Blackbird and that's saying alot!
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 01-25-2012 at 14:26. Reason: added stuff

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast