Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    Don't write off retail yet.
    I've found these on Ebay for lower prices, and it supports my normal sized frame (Taller and more mass than you!) just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hammaka-Para...item9c00a95829

I use it for a back up.
    For my regular camping hammock I took an ENO Double nest and just sewed another layer on the bottom along where the existing stitching is where the colrs change to slide in a pad etc. It wasn't structural, just for holding the pad to the backside.
    Both the Eno DN and this one on EBay well exceed your weight.
    I think you will be more comfortable in a wider one, based on my ENO DoubleNest compared to the SingleNest my son uses.
    Later . .
    Thanks for the input! I have looked at the ENOs (my wife works part-time at a store that sells them), so it is a possibility for something in the future, but it isnt the same (for better or for worse) as making my own...and it looks fairly easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    I don't think you would have any problems at all with it. Yes, it's not ripstop, but ripstop isn't needed to make a hammock - plain weave nylon or polyester will do just fine. At 250ish I dont have any stretch (that I can tell) with the 2.8. It has a smooth side and a rough side - I put the rough side in so there's no chance of sliding around. I also lay very flat in my 2.8 hammock single layer.

I hate to say it but the 2.8 material hammock I made is more comfortable than my Blackbird and that's saying alot!
    The 2.8 looks like the cheapest and most practical material for me. I think I will make one soon. This is gonna be fun! Now I just need to convince my wife to let me use her sewing machine, lol.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanBeard View Post
    The 2.8 looks like the cheapest and most practical material for me. I think I will make one soon. This is gonna be fun! Now I just need to convince my wife to let me use her sewing machine, lol.
    I can mail you a small swatch sample if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    I can mail you a small swatch sample if you like.
    I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I will need it...I trust your recommendation and will be ordering some on Monday (payday). I love the DIY guides on that site also, I'll be doing some Whoopie slings, tree straps, and a bug net too! Hopefully this will turn out well. I'll keep you guys posted as I progress. I am pleasantly surprised with the assistance from you guys here on the forums...very cool!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanBeard View Post
    I appreciate the offer, but I don't think I will need it...I trust your recommendation and will be ordering some on Monday (payday). I love the DIY guides on that site also, I'll be doing some Whoopie slings, tree straps, and a bug net too! Hopefully this will turn out well. I'll keep you guys posted as I progress. I am pleasantly surprised with the assistance from you guys here on the forums...very cool!
    Thanks and I believe you'll like that material. If you need any help or some pictures on my build, please let me know.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Oh and don't forget some pictures when your done!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    I was wanting to DIY a hammock too. I went with the Lite Owl from Wildernesslogics.com because it was only a few dollars more than the DIY. After looking into ordering supplies from several suppliers and paying shipping on those items I had to buy one.

The Lite Owl comes standard with whoopies, tree straps and ships free. Thats a one swipe deal!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have that exact Hammaka hammock, but I don't think mine is as long as described. I have the ends balled up a little for tying on the suspension, but not much, maybe 3" on each end, and I measured 104" total. I don't feel like it gives me enough length for a nice flat lay. Maybe I got mine for half that price because it was so short! It holds me up just fine, though.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    1.7 or 1.9 double layer, 11' long. Check out the Wilderness Logics Nite Owl. It's a double layer 1.5. Yu'll need something like that hammock, dimesions and all.
    +1 What he said.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Another welcome to HF, and I eagerly await reports of your DIY gear adventures, and much success with your "job".

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123