Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UQ Brain lock

If it were me, since there's only a 5oz difference in weight between the incubator and pheonix, I'd carry the quarter pound for piece of mind I will be completely warm.

That being said though, for a summer application I would get teh partial length JUST because I don't really NEED to be bundled up and my jacket over the footbox would do the same job my full length would do and I trust it'll be warm enough that it will do the job by itself.

For one quilt for most versatility if you're not winter camping, I'd go full length 20*

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Go full I say.....Go full.
    That is my 1¢.
    Enjoy your choice.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    If it were me, since there's only a 5oz difference in weight between the incubator and pheonix, I'd carry the quarter pound for piece of mind I will be completely warm.

That being said though, for a summer application I would get teh partial length JUST because I don't really NEED to be bundled up and my jacket over the footbox would do the same job my full length would do and I trust it'll be warm enough that it will do the job by itself.

For one quilt for most versatility if you're not winter camping, I'd go full length 20*
    As strange as it may sound I only Fall and Winter camp and your point about the weight difference is well taken. Thanks
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    A 0* UQ, either 3/4 or full (which is really what this thread is all about). I can vent it if it's too warm but at 0* I should be ok if I get caught on a really cold night.

A 20* TQ. I could more easily add layers to the top than underneath but if it's not needed I wouldn't have the on again/off again dance through the night as I might would with a 0*.
    Is this sound thinking here guys or am off base with this combination?
    David

haha i feel like this is that seen in Dr Doolittle with eddie murphy.. "THROW THE BALL!!"

Get a long.. 20*.. Only 5 ounces for piece of mind.. Plus-- since you dont hike far-- who cares about a few ounces.. The things are conservatively rated anyways.... Unless your going to truly be out in 0*=== the 20* is going to be enough..

Have the exact same setup SC

I actually went with a 0* becuse you can vent it to be comfortable in ANY temp and no matter what you'll be able to take whatever temps you get. Just watched a thing on NatGeo today about that crazy storm you had a year or two ago that blanketed snow across the south and how it was NOT in the forecast at all.

I've used my 0* in 50* temps down to 13* and it's worked like champ. Actually at 13* I didn't think it felt anywhere near close to the edge of the rating. Definitely handle anything Ohio weather can throw at it and I backpack with it as well, baseweight is well under 20lbs.

Also went with the 20* TQ because like with your brakes, even though you have 4, the front 2 do 75% of the work. Same with quilts in my experience. There's more of a relationship to comfort between your UQ rating and the outside temp vs. you TQ rating and the outside temp. Saved some weight as well. I used this combo at the last Ohio hang and I think someone said it got to 13*.. I was venting my TQ I was so warm and it's a 20*.

Sound reasoning my friend

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    In my experience, I vent my TQ more frequently than my UQ. A UQ has a wider comfort range. I've spent warm nights in the mid 60s with a 20* Incubator and have regulated comfy with my TQ. My advice is to go with the most UQ you can afford to buy and are willing to carry. Finding ways to vent is way easier than adding warmth when the temp gets colder than you expected.

Remember too, that the temp ratings are subjective. There were two of us at the recent FL Hang with 20* Incubators. At 26* the second morning, both of us were just cool enough to not sleep as well as we're used to. I've been in upper 20s before on Roan Mtn, TN with my same setup and been toasty. So I don't if the lower altitude/higher humidity in FL made 26* feel colder, or if it was imaginary, but I know I felt colder.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    DetailMan-I think it was a wet humid bone piercing cold--much like Forney Creek-colder than the numbers relayed.
    Detailman is spot on-the warmer your UQ the less you need on top-to a point; and why not incorporate your camp wear into your sleep ware. You've seen Shug and others wrapping the jacket around the footbox, maybe you've got a 5 ounce vest that can do that and your jacket over your chest.
    Like others I've done well with a 0-5F rate UQ in 40F temps-heat rises

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thank you all very much for your help!
    David

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    In my experience, I vent my TQ more frequently than my UQ. A UQ has a wider comfort range. I've spent warm nights in the mid 60s with a 20* Incubator and have regulated comfy with my TQ. My advice is to go with the most UQ you can afford to buy and are willing to carry. Finding ways to vent is way easier than adding warmth when the temp gets colder than you expected.

Remember too, that the temp ratings are subjective. There were two of us at the recent FL Hang with 20* Incubators. At 26* the second morning, both of us were just cool enough to not sleep as well as we're used to. I've been in upper 20s before on Roan Mtn, TN with my same setup and been toasty. So I don't if the lower altitude/higher humidity in FL made 26* feel colder, or if it was imaginary, but I know I felt colder.
    I'm with Detail Man exactly! After using a CCF pad, an inflatable pad & a couple of 2/3 & 3/4 UQs (even synthetic), I got a full down 0*. I'm much happier with it than anything else. I can get away with a much lighter TQ & then 'batten down the hatches' if needed with a heavier TQ. Much wider variety of conditions IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast