Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    D'oh, I've been posting in the other thread.

Can't Wait, my UQ plans are pretty much locked down. I'll be cutting fabric tomorrow (Probably, since my training flight looks to be a loss thanks to the weather), and maybe sewing as well, depending on how much of a fit my machine pitches. It isn't really keen on this material I'm using. If all goes well, I ought to be stuffing down into it by Wednesday.

I posted in the other thread a while back regarding the general *trend* I was seeing in the long range weather models. Here's a quick update:

I can only see out to the 13th right now, but the trend remains warm. There are *hints* of an East Coast Bomb/ Nor'easter taking shape on the 12th and 13th, but the models are pretty wishy-washy on this. They're sure we're going to see some kind of low pressure. It just can't decide if it's going to be a gentle Lake Effect maker, or Snowmageddon 2012.

Either way, it looks like it's reasonable to expect a continuation of this constant cold and snowy then warm and muddy pattern pretty much right up until then. I sure wouldn't mind the temps staying up in the upper 20s at night since I'll have a relatively untested UQ with me, but I don't want to be experiencing Woodstock over again either.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    A Little bump , and to see what time people may be coming and if we are just meeting at camp site or Myteathors Cabin etc. Thanks folks

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    We'll be on the AT that weekend. Where are you hanging out at?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    We'll be on the AT that weekend. Where are you hanging out at?
    We will be on the other side of the state in the ANF on the hickory creek trail near warren Pa

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    Ok, my new UQ is done, so count me in.

The only fly in the ointment right now would be if I end up moving that week. I'm starting school this spring, and I've got job applications in all around the Monaca/Beaver Falls area, so if a job offer comes up in the next week, we might be busy. Seems unlikely though.

Here's a quick forecast update (remember, long way out, very tentative, but useful for planning purposes): 17 Feb, WARM. High near 50 potentially. 18 Feb, That East Coast Bomb I discussed. Rain, temp falling throughout the day to around freezing. Very windy. 19 Feb, Cold. Temps below freezing and potentially a Lake Effect setup.

I'm personally hoping the cool down moves up a day or so, which is entirely reasonable given how far out these models are looking. Then we'd probably have some frozen ground, if not snow cover. I'll keep an eye on things over the next few days. At the 2 week mark, the models change rapidly and drastically with time, but if you see a pattern over multiple model runs (they run three times a day), you can start to consider it a safe bet.

So what's the final figuring on the hike and food plans? Last year I think I recall that you guys did a potluck the first night at a camp near the parking lot. Then hiked further in on day 2. Similar plan this time? If so, I've got some ideas for my potluck dish.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well plans are to hike to water 2 1/2 mi fri then sat day hikes this is all weather dependent,pot luck is up to others as I am on a special diet. That's why I am disappointed people are not chiming in . Probably be the last hang I plan because of that. I hope the weather either snows or is dry no rain hate wet and mud. would prefer snow as got all the new snow gear to use.
    Last edited by Can't Wait; 02-02-2012 at 21:46.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    It is odd that there's been so little chatter. Come on guys, let's get on it. Two weeks from today.

Is there support for a potluck? If so, speak up. We need to figure out who's bringing what. If folks like spicy stuff, my wife makes an amazing homemade salsa and queso I can bring along with some chips.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy so far
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Muletape web/rings
    Pot luck is cool but we would have to camp first night close to parking lot? Then get up on sat and pack up and hike down to the water? This sounds OK with me. I would like to camp two spots, then hike out on Sunday morning. I'm not a hard fast hiker at the moment, but can make the distance.Man I'm getting pumped. Top quilt in hand,bottom quilt on way, whoopee slings on way, hope for snow,but will take anything but rain. YeeeeeeeHawwwwww

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by blisterboy View Post
    Pot luck is cool but we would have to camp first night close to parking lot? Then get up on sat and pack up and hike down to the water? This sounds OK with me. I would like to camp two spots, then hike out on Sunday morning. I'm not a hard fast hiker at the moment, but can make the distance.Man I'm getting pumped. Top quilt in hand,bottom quilt on way, whoopee slings on way, hope for snow,but will take anything but rain. YeeeeeeeHawwwwww
    That sounds good Dave , I am glad I didn't get anything special or put allot of effort into this. I have a signed copy of the Ultimate Hang coming to raffle off to the group. But this is it last year I put out an invite out on HF will be a private invite from this point on I am sorry I can't buy TQ and UQ and what ever to bribe people to come. If fellowship with other HF friends isn't enough don't want to be apart of it. I will be there the weekend of the 17th with or without others. I am going to have fun that's all that matters

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Really looking forward to the gathering that’s for sure. Always good to see old friends and make some new ones.

Still plan on hiking the Hickory Trail loop Thursday and Friday. But will be back to the parking lot later Friday in time to meet up with the group. Head back to the woods from there to where ever the hang spot will be.

Can’t participate in a pot luck dinner this year as I’m just now feeling better after 2 miserable months of a gut issue. Still dealing with some dizziness etc. I’ll just bring some food I’m sure I can eat if and when I get hungry. I am trying out the hammock now and then to see if I can stand the slight movement. That still seems to cause me problems with the dizziness. Yet a few days ago I took a short snooze in it hanging in the back yard. I had to steady it once I got in and was ok. Will try it more this weekend.

If the hammock works for me I plan on bringing my OES winter tarp for some “cabin camping”. I typically use my 8X10 all the time, even in winter, but I thought I’d give this a go for Fri and Sat night. Not sure on the stove yet. If there is snow I’ll bring one of the white gas stoves or canister to melt up some water. Otherwise it’ll be one of the alcohol stoves. Have a couple packs that can handle the bulk of winter gear. Not particularly heavy just bulky. Will dial that in once I can get a better fix on what the weather will be.

Thats the news from the northern tundra of Potter county where its presently 36°F after a high of 42°F.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast