Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Bloom is spot on.

I want to add a couple of points. First, an aftermarket roof rack is even worse than factory racks...they are held on by sheet metal screws. Oftentimes, racks are added by dealers, and while the rack may look like OE, it is not. Bottom line, you really can't know for sure.

Second, webbing under load can eat right through paint. I wouldn't let the webbing touch anything I cared about.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    Yea I'd be iffy on doing any of this BUT assuming I have some scrap cardboard or pot holders from the kitchen or something to help protect the paint, I see no reason why you couldn't just make a giant loop ALL the way under and around the car. End with the tag end of your loop hanging over the edge of the roof and attach to it with a Marlinspike hitch. I'd use two climbing rings on the other end so the loop can be snugged down till you have some load on it and pad the corners of the vehicle, especially under the rings.

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    So here's a goofy thought.

What if you took a LONG strap...something on the order of 15'+....and ran it through the top seam of the door jam on one side of the car, along the cieling of the interior of the car out the same seam on the other side, brought it over the roof of the car, and then looped it on itself as though you were wrapped around a tree instead of around the roof of the car. Make sure that the "loop" is on the bottom part of the strap going through the car so that it pulls tight against the car door/jam...and then hung off the remaining strap?

Seems like it would distribute the forces across either side of the roof rather than on any other portion of the car.

Just a thought...I'm no kind of car mechanic or structural engineer, which is why I posed this as a question.
    Just buy a Jeep Wrangler… Sure it may be a wee more expensive but the roll bars work great for this application!
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    "Another option would be to hang Between two vehicles using their roof racks.
    I've hung between the rack on my explorer and a tree and it worked fine. I was just testing in case I found myself with only one tree to work with. If you are car camping with friends, there might be a chance that you could find something that would work."

This is a post from another thread on the forum about camping in a state park that didn't allow hanging from trees. In my test I didn't have any problems using my roof rack and a tree. I weigh about 210 lbs. was I just lucky that time?

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    At Sasquatch last year I rolled the windows down a crack and used a long strap going in the window closest to me - then through the other window and out over the roof.

Ran that through the strap loop and used a MSH - worked fine.

Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Polarpod / UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/rings
    I don't think going around the car, or hanging from the B pillar would do crazy damage to ruin a car.

At the same time, I wouldn't do them because of the small amount of damage that might be done.

Paint scratches/burns, weather stripping getting ripped/stressed, slight bends/dents, etc.

If it was a car I didn't particularly care about too much, I would try them out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123