Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy EXPEDITION ASYM
    Tarp
    8 x 10

Smile Tips for easy entry/setup?

I have a HH expedition asym.

I was wondering if there were any tips any hammockers could offer a newbie on how to arrange/manipulate the sleeping bag and pad as I (attempt) to get into the hammock and settle down.

I have been imagining myself (outside the hammock) getting half into my sleeping bag and then (like in a potato sack race) shuffling over and under and into the HH hammock, sitting down in it, then flipping my legs up into the interior.

Oh, wait a minute, where do I put the pad while all this is going on.

Hmmmm, in my mind's eye this looks like a Monty Python movie.

Help someone, help, before I make an utter fool of myself

LOL Mike

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    join the fools.... hehehe anyone with a HH has played the same game. Sometimes still does play the same game.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessy, and although I've switched to top loaders (personal preference), the way that I dealt with the bag was to hang it from the ridgeline until I'm in and on the pad, then use the bag as a quilt. As far as the pad goes, I would insert the pad rolled up, get my torso through the slit facing the head end, unroll enough of the pad to cover the hammock down to the slit, turn around and lay back. This should leave you with the remainder of the pad rolled up under your legs/butt, then it's pretty easy to unroll the rest with your feet. That's just what worked for me. You will probably want to take a short section of pad and lay it crossways under your main pad at shoulder-to-hip height, or get/make a Speer Pad Extender.

Images
    Try Shane's technique. It worked pretty well for me when I used my HH. If you're going to do the Monty Python thing you must first tie your hammock to...A SHRUBERY...

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hi...er/hhvid02.htm
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Hennessy EXPEDITION ASYM
    Tarp
    8 x 10

Thank you-all

Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom and wit. Mike

After some experimentation and research into alternatives, I've found that Hennessy kinda dissolves....I bought one originally, based on their web site; more fluff than stuff. The quality in manufacture isn't all that great. Their customer service is excellent, but so are others.
    Last edited by daibutsu; 05-31-2008 at 18:20.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    In my experience, pads inside the hammock don't work so well. We are having success with my son in a HH Scout model using a pad modified per Sgt. rock's "pocket pad." I use the HH Supershelter with underpad and it works quite well. I can then add a lightweight emergency blanket to make it comfortable to lower temperatures.

All that makes it even harder to enter a Hennessey from the bottom. I have had 2Questions modify my HH with a top zipper so I can pull the bug netting back. Then I can top load. Getting into my bag simply involves opening the bag, sitting down on the side of the hammock and getting in. Getting comfortable is easy. Then I can zip the bug netting back up, or not. It has taken some doing to figure my little system out, but in the end it works great and is alot of fun.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelLomas View Post
    I have a HH expedition asym.

I was wondering if there were any tips any hammockers could offer a newbie on how to arrange/manipulate the sleeping bag and pad as I (attempt) to get into the hammock and settle down.

I have been imagining myself (outside the hammock) getting half into my sleeping bag and then (like in a potato sack race) shuffling over and under and into the HH hammock, sitting down in it, then flipping my legs up into the interior.

Oh, wait a minute, where do I put the pad while all this is going on.

Hmmmm, in my mind's eye this looks like a Monty Python movie.

Help someone, help, before I make an utter fool of myself

LOL Mike

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Michael --

This is one of the prices you pay (initially anyway) for the convenience of using the Swiss Army knife of hammocks. You'll probably get over it if you are a contortionist I've adapted to my 2 but also have at last count 3 other DIY models which get twice the use of the Hennies.

I ain't gonna refine this much cuz we just got in from a 4 day trip ... 12 mi today... and I am tired.

1. Start with a 3/4 length pad....It's summer. In the hammer the pad will be diagonally from 1-2 o clock at the head to 7-8 O clock at your feet ... as you look at it from the slot. Push the pad well into the head end notch. You'll eventually get it right the first time.

2. Put the bag in (zipped up to about knee level) with the zipper side down and mostly stuffed into the foot end and if necessary slightly along what will be your left side when on your back.

3. Enter the birth canal back well into the slot and sit as far toward the head as you can.... feet up and in .... use your intuition to figure how to move a little more forward if needed. Lay on your pack on the diagonal pad.

4. Orient the bag so the zipper is down on the foot part... raise your feet and insert them into the bag. Pull it up and push your feet all the way in.

5. From here is tucking yourself in and I sense you are a big boy and do not need help there.

An essential part of hammer comfort for me is the (make shift) pillow.... soft stuff sack which goes in with me and may be held or moved to the head end as necessary as the unruly beast is mounted.

It may/will seem impossible at first, but unless you've exceeded the length and weight ratings, it will come. Strongly suggest buying 3.5 or so yds of 1.9 ripstop to make a speer-type. It is easy to make similar but easier to ride and you'll undoubtedly find it to be a most useful (if not preferable) hammock.

You'll get thru the learning curve .. persist.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 06-01-2008 at 23:39.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Well, this one depends on your bag and how you use it. If you use the bag as a quilt, it's fairly straightforward -- position pad, sit in middle of pad, rotate into sleeping position, put feet into footbox of upside-down bag and spread remainder over you. If you're trying to use a mummy bag as a mummy bag, it's tougher -- sit down, put feet in bag outside of hammock, pull bag up to waist, position pad, sit in middle of pad, pull hood up over your head, rotate into sleeping position, zip up. Getting out of a traditionally-worn mummy bag is also tough, especially if you did some tossing and turning.

I avoided all that silliness by getting a Big Agnes sleeping bag (Mystic Long) with the pad pocket in the bottom of the bag. You put the bag into the hammock like a bed, open the covers (lay the top of the bag to the far right), sit in it (on the pad in the bottom), rotate into sleeping position, put your feet in, pull the top of the bag over you like you'd pull the covers over you in bed, zip up as required if it's cold or during the night as it gets colder. In other words, you just get into bed, roll over and go to sleep. Minimal muss and fuss.

I got it left-hand zip so it works in a Hennessey or any other hammock. The bag also works well if you have to go to ground. One of my better purchasing decisions. We don't need to discuss some of the real stinkers.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with BA other than as a satisfied customer.
    Last edited by Hector; 06-02-2008 at 09:46.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I have to ask the question, as I’ve never see or used a Hennessey (bottom loading) hammock: What’s the attraction to bottom loading?

I have a Claytor and a Clark, and (again, without using one) don’t see ANY advantage to bottom loading. Can a Hennessey fan enlighten me? I really don’t mean to sound difficult, but from the beginning it seemed to me like a bad idea. Are their perks to this entry/exit system that I’m missing?

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast