Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    NCPatrick--OK so i was confused. I thought under hammock camping that another category was to be added to join the likes of 'top insulation' 'bottom insulation' caledl 'pods'....
    I was thinking it might help the noobs who are scrolling down and discovering for the first time that there is another option over TQs and UQs.....as I type that I'm trying to remember when I first heard of pods-that was a long time ago.
    Thought some more....thinking it would be logical for it to include hammock socks too--anything that goes completely around the hammock. Thought?
    Sorry for any confusion. Yes, that was what the discussion was about in the Feedback forum, but when the discussion moved over to talking about specific gear, I moved the gear discussion posts here.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    The Dreamwalker works great as is. If you use the back elastic from the hood and attach to headend of hammock.
    Cinch face of hood shut and then rotate bag.
    Open one of the arm holes, place over mouth and nose your good to go.
    Oh I see! I had not thought of using those arm holes as a brathing vent!

With two LG 650tys I sleepet at -25F. One I would say your good to 30F.
    Have sleepet to 19F with one, clothing and windshield garde.

The problem of doing the hood thing as people requested it would only allow one sleep postion and no movement that is unpractacly.

Wiggys bags with center zip, draw string bottom work great as pod system.
    Two Lg6650tys? tys is ?

I didn't know Wiggy had a bag with a draw string bottom, I'll go look at his site.

The Polarpod needs/ more down. Side chambers, not sew through on right & left side and a baffel chamber under velcro to be a true deep cold sleep system.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com
    It is sew through in some areas? Far as I can tell. my PeaPod from Ed Speer is baffled all the way around, though it has no draft block at the Velcro. I guess the PolarPods then are constructed a little dif than the older PeaPods? I wonder then about the newer PeaPods, any sew through?

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh I see! I had not thought of using those arm holes as a brathing vent!

Two Lg6650tys? tys is ?

I didn't know Wiggy had a bag with a draw string bottom, I'll go look at his site.

It is sew through in some areas? Far as I can tell. my PeaPod from Ed Speer is baffled all the way around, though it has no draft block at the Velcro. I guess the PolarPods then are constructed a little dif than the older PeaPods? I wonder then about the newer PeaPods, any sew through?
    The two LG650 Dreamwalkers ?, the Dreamwalker comes in two sizes Medium & Large and two weights 450 grams of down and 650 grams of down.

The Wiggy bags are special order, not a stock item. Call him.

If you look on the sides of Speers peapod where the seams overlap , there through sewing on mine. No baffel.

Once you go below 0F every little bit makes a difference.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes, my newest PeaPod ~4-5 years old~ has baffles.
    My older--the original Pea Pod is sewn through.
    Each has its place.
    Just remember a PeaPod is warmer than the sum of its parts=Speer magic.

Images
    I looked and far as I can tell it is the same on the sides as anywhere else: baffles. At the side seam(like elsewhere) where top joins bottom, I can feel something in there that I assume to be a baffle and feels the same as all the other seams. Also, I can grab this side seam on the inside and out and pull them apart 2 or more inches.

Fourdog, if you don't mind me asking- I am curious- when did you get your PeaPod and is it the 20F model rated for 2.5" bottom + 2.5" top loft?

EDIT: OOPS! Fourdog, you are right. I went back and looked closer and there is no baffle where top is sewn to bottom! (see new post)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-26-2012 at 15:43.

Images
    Re: previous post:
    OOPS! Fourdog, you are right. I went back and looked closer and there is no baffle where top is sewn to bottom! (see new post)

It was hard to tell at first because one big fat chamber kind of squishing into another big fat chamber.

I feel silly even bringing it up with you, as I have no experience in the kind of severe temps that you routinely camp in. But despite the Velcro and the sew thru at one spot, still seems to me like it would make a good severe weather unit once you did the required add on insulation.

Mine is rated at 20 bottom, 50 ( by cold sleeper Ed Speer) top. I was fine with (EDIT: at +10F) lightweight warm clothing, a summer weight bag(45 or 50F) on top (inside pod) and only a space blanket under the hammock for added bottom warmth. I never really felt any cold spots on the side or at the Velcro, though no doubt there was some loss there.

I have had more trouble trying to just use my UL warm clothing without any TQ in the high 20s, but still I was not actually cold, I could just tell I was approaching the limit. Caveat: this was with a narrow Claytor hammock which allowed the PeaPod to lay pretty close to my body.

So it just seems if I added a much warmer bag or quilt on top, ( a 20 F bag? 10 or zero F?) (EDIT: and some good insulation to the bottom) I would be OK way below zero. You have been good with two identical bags, one of which was good to ~ 30, right? And two of them got you to minus 25?

So I'm thinking: bottom line- EDIT despite no side baffle and leaks thru the Velcro( a draft tube would make a good mod eh?) I get by in the 20s( EDIT: mid to hi 20s so far) with just my warm clothing and at 10F by adding a summer bag and space blanket to that. No matter what the short comings of the Pod, I was OK at those temps with those slight additions. I think it's greatest advantage is having all that loft- top and bottom- over and under my face and head.

So it seems to me that if I replaced that summer bag with my 20F Golight Ultra 20 TQ- and maybe even throw in my thick Marmot hood, and do something similar on the bottom, I should be able to go A LOT colder than 10F. The only limitation seems to be when I start running out of room inside the pod. But, lots more room available inside the PolarPod. Which the web site says has 30 oz of 900 down, could that be right? I think my PeaPod only had 19 oz.

Sadly for me, that is all just theory. That 10F is the coldest I have been able to test down here. You, OTOH, work from much experience. ( I am envious!) And in fact, maybe you have actually tried the PeaPod ( or PolarPod) and even with added insulation equal to what you are adding to the one Dreamwalker( a second Dreamwalker with ~ 21 oz down), it just didn't work out?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-28-2012 at 21:50.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Re: previous post

So it just seems if I added a much warmer bag or quilt on top, ( a 20 F bag? 10 or zero F?) I would be OK way below zero. You have been good with two identical bags, one of which was good to ~ 30, right? And two of them got you to minus 25?

So I'm thinking: bottom line- no side baffle and leak thru the Velcro( a draft tube would make a good mod eh?) I get by in the 20s with just my warm clothing and at 10F by adding a summer bag and space blanket to that. No matter what the short comings of the Pod, I was OK at those temps with those slight additions. I think it's greatest advantage is having all that loft- top and bottom- over and under my face and head.

So it seems to me that if I replaced that summer bag with my 20F Golight Ultra 20 TQ- and maybe even throw in my thick Marmot hood, and do something similar on the bottom, I should be able to go A LOT colder than 10F. The only limitation seems to be when I start running out of room inside the pod. But, lots more room available inside the PolarPod. Which the web site says has 30 oz of 900 down, could that be right? I think my PeaPod only had 19 oz.

Sadly for me, that is all just theory. That 10F is the coldest I have been able to test down here. You, OTOH, work from much experience. ( I am envious!) And in fact, maybe you have actually tried the PeaPod ( or PolarPod) and even with added insulation equal to what you are adding to the one Dreamwalker( a second Dreamwalker with ~ 21 oz down), it just didn't work out?
    The suggestins I make on the Speers Peapod are to make a great system only better for the deep cold.
    I added 16oz of down to my Speers Peapod.(2oz per chamber).
    I used a foam core reflective windshield garde directly under me in DIY
    hammock. A light down backbacking quilt turned in to it self for my feet and lower leg.
    With my clothing system, Mac's first cotton hammock sock he made for me.
    I slept well at -15F at last years Frozen Butt.

The only draw back to the system it is only for the deep cold.
    I think a layering system as with one's clothing is better because it's more versitile.
    Here in MN it can go from -25F to 35F in 24 hours, thats a difference of
    60 degrees !!
    So it's real hard to have just one size fits all.
    A person can do that with peapods, Dreamwalkers,Wallcreepers, under-overquilts and sleeping bags.
    I think the more one uses what one has and add from there is the best way to
    go and have fun trying different combo's.
    If your cold add a layer !

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

I think a layering system as with one's clothing is better because it's more versitile.
    60 degrees !!
    A person can do that with peapods, Dreamwalkers,Wallcreepers, under-overquilts and sleeping bags.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

That's what I've begun to realize. That there's not one quilt to get you there and layering is the answer. There's so many diff. quilts though and a fortune can be spent if one doesn't invest in a practical combination.
    This is a good thread. I want to hear more of what others are using for diff temps & climates.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Images
    The suggestins I make on the Speers Peapod are to make a great system only better for the deep cold.
    I added 16oz of down to my Speers Peapod.(2oz per chamber).
    Holy Cow! I think mine only came with 19 oz of 900fp to start with! It is still the loftiest item I own counting both layers:

Yours must be bursting at the seams!

I used a foam core reflective windshield garde directly under me in DIY
    hammock. A light down backbacking quilt turned in to it self for my feet and lower leg.
    With my clothing system, Mac's first cotton hammock sock he made for me.
    I slept well at -15F at last years Frozen Butt.

60 degrees !!

fourdog

www.fourdog.com
    Exactly! At least that is a proven approach for a way south guy like me who has only managed a balmy 10F so far. And this winter has been a bitter disappointment down here for gear testing. But even in the the tear (EDIT typo: meant year, but "tears" is not really wrong- we have crickets outside!) without winter, you guys are far enough north to at least catch a few days of severe temps. I have to become an almost international traveler like Mac to be able to test this year. But in the colder years, I started out with a layering approach in my HHSS, then in my PeaPod. Works like a charm.

Your Uber-pod is limited to deep cold use and layering is more versatile, as you pointed out. And saves a fortune spent on seldom used items. But of course there pros and cons to either approach. The dedicated 1 season item is lighter and actually cheaper IF you only need the one item for one season and don't have to buy a bunch of other stuff for warmer weather. Cheaper/lighter because you don't have to pay for or carry the additional shells and sewing cost associated with a separate piece of gear. You only have to pay for/carry the extra down or Climashield. Though that is at least partly negated if you can use stuff you have with you any way, down Parkas etc.

The other advantage is room and convenience. A minus 40 bag is a lot easier to deal with than two layered bags or liners and lots of clothing. At some point, I run out of room inside my PeaPod. ( though not for any temps - above zero - that I will ever have to deal with down here even in bad years) The former is less claustrophobic for some. ( Thing1 experienced some Claustrophobia problems didn't she?)

But layering whatever you have works. Or so I hear. This year, I will have to take Y'alls word on it!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-27-2012 at 09:50.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

Trying out a Pea Pod Tonight

I'm testing tonight in the woods behind my house. It's suppose to be 23* with wind of 10-15 MPH. I'm using a 3 season Incubator, an older 40* sewn through Pea Pod and a Molly Mac IX Hammock Sock. My top insulation will either be a 20* Kelty Cosmic down bag Modded as a TQ or a 0* HG Burrow...haven't decided which yet.
    In Florida I used all of the above with the 20* bag but without the Pod. I was cold at 26* until I added a pad. I'm going to wear the same clothes to sleep in I wore in FL too. So this I hope will be a fair test.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast