Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

new hennessy hammock

I am the proud owner of a Hennessy side zipper. What would be the first mod u guys would do with it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    You should send it off and have a bottom entry put in.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Congrats! Which model did you go with?

1st mod would be an actual ridgeline for the tarp. Although a simple length of cord between the 2 mitten hooks on the suspension under the tarp helps with the tarp sag, personally I preferred a seperate RL.

2nd mod would be to the suspension, either add descender rings, whoopies or webbing. Not really neccessary as the stock suspension works fine, just takes a bit longer to adjust.

HTH
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Personally I would stick with just the side zip; it is easy to set your TQ or sleeping bag and other gear you want in it. If you you've got the standard tarp I would up grade to a Hex or a bigger tarp. Suspension: whoopies or add some hardware like Dutch's gear or carabiners with repel rings or what ever you like. Webbing straps: get the medium size (72") as the one they supply (42") are too small, unless you find small diameter trees. Rest of gear: sleep in the hammock, find what suits or things you modify e.g. is your bum getting cold? Solution: adjust your insulation or change it to UQ, or pads, or thermorests or a combination of different types. Try it out and see what suits and if you want to change your setup then go for it, or if you're happy with what you have then that's all good too.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

*I* would start with using the hammock as it comes from Hennessy, except for putting it together and slipping on the Snakeskins. In 10 years, I didn't make any modification until last spring, when I sewed some pieces of elastic to the outer binding. These help snug up my fleece blanket to the bottom of the hammock.

After you use the hammock for a while, explore any modifications you might make based on what works or may work better for you.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Agree. I'd try it stock at least one time before you dink with it.

After that I'd consider whoopies and longer tree straps.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jameyt View Post
    Agree. I'd try it stock at least one time before you dink with it.

After that I'd consider whoopies and longer tree straps.
    That is exactly what I did with mine. After the first night, I learned that the Hennessy knot is not exactly quick to adjust the hang, so I converted to whoopies and made some longer straps. I guess they have skinny trees out there in BC!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    1. Separate tarp line. (single vs two piece)
    Allows for variation in tarp height based on weather conditions.
    Allows you to pitch tarp first in the rain and keep the hammock dry.
    2. Separate snakeskin/ bag for tarp and for hammock. I thread the suspension through a buttonhole in the bottom of the bag it came with and use that for the hammock and use the snakeskins for the tarp. There are certainly better looking bishop bags out there though. Point is, any stuffsack you have will work. Separating tarp with snakeskins comes in handy if you have to pack up before the tarp has dried.
    3. Suspension - Whoopies-make it much easier to adjust/fine tune without having to re-tie each time. Straps/rings work as well.

No hurry on any of these mods. As others have said, experience will tell you what you might want to change. Have fun!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'd agree with the majority of what's been said.

First off...from the very beginning I seperated hammock and tarp. For most of us, there's too much sag in the tarp if you attach it directly to the prussics provided on the stock HH ridgeline.

So...you can either use a seperate ridgeline, or just attach rope to either end of the tarp and use Fig 9s/tarp flyz/etc... to adjust your tarp as needed.

Storing your tarp seperately, either with it's own stuff sack or even better with it's own set of skins is also a much better option.

With that said...I'd spend a few nights in the hammock going through some of your own learning curve before making any further changes.

Remember most folks prefer to have their feet slightly higher than their head. The closer to the hammock that you hang the tarp, the better the rain coverage but the less air flow you're likely to get...and vice versa.

Do a few test hangs, get a feel for what you like and dislike...then consider mods to address things that you dislike...if you even need them.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    I still do not mind the stock suspension, it may be a bit slower than some other styles but I have never considered camping/hiking a speed related event. I'll probably change to whoopies hen/if the stock suspension shows signs of wear.

Also you can leave the tarp attached to the hammock suspension and run another line under the tarp after the hammock and tarp are set up. I find this helps keep a nice sharp peak to the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast