Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by commo View Post
    This past weekend, I spent a couple of nights in my HH Explorer UL. Honestly, I was miserable pretty much both nights. I could never get comfortable in the hammock, and I was eaten alive by some small flying insects (most likely biting flies and/or mosquitoes). Even though I am only 5'7", I seemed to never be able to keep from touching the mosquito netting which resulted in numerous bites on my arms and legs. I don't really know if I got bit as a result of the bites through the netting or through the bottom of the hammock. Based on location of bites, I believe I was getting bit through both. I tried to keep my underside covered with a small thin mat and sleeping back, but I had a tough time staying on top of both. I moved around quite a bit due to lack of comfort from the HH. I set the hammock up according to HH website, but it just wasn't as comfortable as my Claytor JH. The biggest problem was the access/entry location in the hammock. There seemed to be a lot of tension in the underside of the hammock at the stitching/velcro webbing point on the bottom of the hammock. When I layed asymmetrically, my left leg would lie across this portion of the hammock which put unwanted pressure on the outside of my left leg. I hope this makes sense. If I moved to the right, then my feet would end up touching the netting resulting in bites. I know a lot of people believe in HH so any suggestions for finding comfort in this hammock would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions for dealing with insects would be appreciated too! Thanks, Rusty
    get a claytor jungle,best hammock i have ever bought.4 ft wide and almost 10 ft long.it has a double bottom that insects cant bite thru,also you can insert your pad between the 2 layers,the best of the bestneo
    the matrix has you

Reading through this thread I hear a lot of the same things over and over. I experienced them too with my Hennessey. It only took me one night in the HH and then one very comfortable night in my husband's jungle hammock to be convinced. Sold the HH, bought a JH and have been loving life ever since!! I know a lot of people love their HH, it just wasn't the right hammock for me. I hate to read thea folks are having to compromise to get comforat

Reading through this thread I hear a lot of the same things over and over. I experienced them too with my Hennessey. It only took me one night in the HH and then one very comfortable night in my husband's jungle hammock to be convinced. Sold the HH, bought a JH and have been loving life ever since!! I know a lot of people love their HH, it just wasn't the right hammock for me. I hate to read that folks are having to compromise to get comfortable. Get the hammock that works for you.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I'm hoping to try out a Claytor Jungle hammock soon myself. I guess Neos influence is finally getting to me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    9x9 Tabernacle
    Insulation
    Exped CF & NEO Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Neo,

As you probably read, I already own a JH, and I am very happy with it. Before I go drop some more $, I would like to see if I can get the HH to work. Up until this weekend, I had slept so much better in a hammock (JH) than ever sleeping in a tent. I was sold on hammock sleeping. Now, I am wondering if I should have spent my $ on another JH instead of trying something new.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The is a market for retired HH UL Asym if they are in good condition. You might be able to sell it without accruing a massive loss.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by commo View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The next time I use the hammock, I will lower the head of the hammock as suggested and use an inflatable mattress to see if it helps to hide the pressure I found at my left leg. I may also try spraying the bottom with Permethyrin. I don't like the idea that I need to spray my hammock down with something; oh well! Maybe the underquilt is the best option. Now, I have more things to try and compare; my wife will luv me.
    The underquilt or perhaps a poncho hung with a gap? I was actually pretty warm - temps were in the 50s - so I let the quilt sag quite a lot. My poncho and a couple of ties to wrap the ends at the hammock whipping are my fallback for nights when it's too warm for a quilt or I need an extra layer under the quilt, either for protection from rain spatter or extra warmth. I'd bet the skeeters couldn't get you through a poncho and a hammock, especially if there's some air space there. Some ingenuity to hook the poncho to the tie-outs, or maybe some velcro buttons, to give you adequate coverage with the poncho.... I may yet retrofit the poncho and hammock with nylon snaps. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...requestid=8895

Yes, I am in fact a dork with nothing better to do with her life than tweak a poncho and a hammock. What of it? Easier to afford a few snaps than another hammock. I spent my discretionary monies on a JRB quilt instead, with no buyer's remorse.
    Last edited by lori; 06-02-2008 at 23:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12