ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    Time to resurrect this thread!!

Does anyone have pictures of the pole pockets? And how long is the pole for the asym expedition tarp?
    The pole pockets are our basic pole pockets just made to fit the tarp. The length is determined by measuring the tarp side to side. With that said, no two tarps are identical so I recommend getting the poles and cutting them to fit your specific tarp. We offer sewing the pole pockets on if you don't wish to sew them on yourself.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Make the poles half the length!?

Hi! Looks like a nice mod but I was thinking, why not make the poles say half the length. The bottom part is roomy enough anyway, you really only need the "curve" above the hammock. It would be half the price and half the weight and almost the same improvement, or am I wrong here?
    Edit: I mean half the price for the pole, I dont mean that you should actually charge half the price!
    Last edited by Tordnado; 03-05-2012 at 14:36.

Any comments?

No comments on the half lenght pole?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tordnado View Post
    No comments on the half lenght pole?
    First, we need a solid place to sew the pole pockets. Sewn in the middle of the tarp would put stress on the tarp and eventually cause problems. The tarp tieouts and therefore tarp fabric, would be responsible for flexing the pole. At the point where the pole pockets were sewn onto the tarp, there would be a sufficient amount of stress to create a hole in time. I think I'll stay with my design but thanks for thinking out of the box! That's the adventure of it!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    OES DL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Bow and stake

I've been testing a pole mod on a Hennessy stock asym tarp. Works pretty well. The guyout lines are attached to the support pole of my stand in the picture but it would also work in the field to attach to a center stake.
    The guyout lines are indeed very well secured by your stand. The pole acts like a bow. The stand can easily hold the “draw weight”. My question is; will a stake in the ground hold this vertical upward directed force. My concern is, where this “bow and stake” is aiming at when in the hammock?

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjalling Weideman View Post
    The guyout lines are indeed very well secured by your stand. The pole acts like a bow. The stand can easily hold the “draw weight”. My question is; will a stake in the ground hold this vertical upward directed force. My concern is, where this “bow and stake” is aiming at when in the hammock?
    The MSR Groundhog stake I use works well when placed directly under the hammock. The tarp guylines pull on the stake at an angle that doesn't try to dislodge the stake. The Easton .344 diameter pole is quite light and it doesn't take much to bow it, therefore the force on the stake is not much.
    I have a fellow doing some field testing, he will be able to determine if it is problematic or not.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    First, we need a solid place to sew the pole pockets. Sewn in the middle of the tarp would put stress on the tarp and eventually cause problems. The tarp tieouts and therefore tarp fabric, would be responsible for flexing the pole. At the point where the pole pockets were sewn onto the tarp, there would be a sufficient amount of stress to create a hole in time. I think I'll stay with my design but thanks for thinking out of the box! That's the adventure of it!
    On getting by with shorter poles:
    There are some inexpensive tarps -- maybe they are all from Claytor -- where a seam is already present halfway between the ridge-line and the tie-out of the diamond shape. This might be a place for a DIY to try a partial bow. With all liability on the user. The one shown below has a 13' ridge-line, and costs $50 delivered. [Diamond Rain Fly - Camouflage Green 100% waterproof Ripstop. 4 attach loops (1 on each point). (Diamond shape - 13 feet long x 10 feet wide / 400cm long x 300cm wide & 250cm along each side) (1.1lb / .5kg).

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I can still imagine an issue where the pole ends. The angle change may cause undue stress on the tarp fabric. I guess someone will have to try it!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I received this post from a fellow hanger who had us pole mod his Hennessy asym tyarp. Here is his review:

I took my HHDJ (long) hammock out for a little hike this weekend, along with the new “pole mod” to the asym diamond tarp. I only camped in it one night, but I think it was a good test because we had plenty of rain and a lot of wind. I camped at the top of a mountain – Chestnut Knob on AT at the south end of Burkes Garden, VA – so we also had fog/mist conditions along with the rain and wind. The tarp (with pole) did a good job protecting me from the rain, even with all the wind. I did have some moisture/dampness on my bugscreen and clothes that I had hung over my ridgeline inside my bugscreen, but I’m certain that was a result of the fog/mist conditions, not the rain, and probably would have happened without the pole.

The main difference I notice with the pole is the increased circulation under the tarp. While that was not really a good thing for me this weekend, I think it will be a big advantage during hotter, summer hanging. As the wind was blowing, I could certainly feel it going across my hammock much more than I have ever noticed before. I had plenty of insulation for the 40 degrees we had, so I was fine, but I typically don’t want this during cold weather. Next time it’s cold and windy, I’ll just remove the pole for the night. I remember some warm nights last summer when increased circulation would have definitely been welcomed, and I look forward to having the pole do this for me this summer when the temperatures rise. - Jimmy
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    As Tim posted, I had a great field test with my HHDJ and asym tarp with pole mod from the 2QZQ shop. First, I have to give a shout out to the great work and friendly service from 2Q & ZQ. Tim and I talked about this at the Mount Rogers hang & I followed up shortly thereafter. First class all the way.
    As you will see in the pictures, the pole mod adds a lot of headroom under the tarp. I was worried that it might sacrafice coverage, but after being out in a very windy and rainy night, I found that I still have plenty of coverage (NOTE: my tarp is the larger HH diamond asym that comes with the larger hammocks - mine is a HHDJ long). I noticed a definite increase in circulation under the tarp, and this will be greatly welcomed in the summer. When it's cold, the pole comes out very easily and can be removed & collapsed while lying in the hammock.
    I used the original tie-out lines (I've replaced them with STGuylines) to create a string across the center with a loop to hold the pole in position (see photo). I ordered poles from the supplier Tim recommended & had no problem cutting them to the length I wanted with a tubing cutter. The pole weighs only 4.5 ounces, so I plan to carry this all the time from now on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast