Hennessy so far
    Tarp
    Explorer..so far
    Insulation
    HSS
    Suspension
    Repel Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I've been testing a pole mod on a Hennessy stock asym tarp. Works pretty well. The guyout lines are attached to the support pole of my stand in the picture but it would also work in the field to attach to a center stake. Simply pull on the line sliders to pull the tarp down to whatever arch angle you desire. So far this has worked well in the backyard.
    The pole mod removes the tarp ridge slop and tensons the whole tarp quite well.
    This is immaculate. Not only does it create a lot of headspace, it just looks "Out-of-this-world!" My only real question is the shockcord asym pull outs on my hammock. I usually attach those to my rainfly. Would that be too much stress on the single pole? Not sure if this question was already addressed. If not I would definately consider ordering this mod if it ever makes it on the website. Love your guys work!
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****."

~Jack Nickolson

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    PNW, this is a 2012 post so might not get answered.
    Here is my 2 cents worth: I use a similar pole mod and attach the hammock pull-out shockcord to the tarp asym tieouts as you mention.
    It works, just don't make the shock cord too tight. This is especially important if you use the SuperShelter which uses a stronger shock cord (I'm thinking the SS shockcord is 1/8" vs thinner 1/16 on the original hammock, but my HH Backpacker UL is about 12 years old so may not apply to current production models).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies
    PNW, I have had this mod for years and have no problem attaching the shock cord pull outs to the usual spot on the corner of the tarp. I have had a small issue with breaking a clip or two, but I figured out this is because I pulled the tarp tie out too wide & that was stretching my (shortened) hammock tie out too tight & the plastic piece broke. If I remember to stake the tarp tie out closer to the hammock, there is no problem. I should probably lengthen my shock cord for use with the pole. No issue at all on pole stress.

Hammock
    Hennessy so far
    Tarp
    Explorer..so far
    Insulation
    HSS
    Suspension
    Repel Rings
    Thanks for the info fellow members. I did not know this was an old thread. I am impressed with the pole modification on the asym tarp. Didn't think it could be done with any great effect. The picture told otherwise. A ton more space! Since I did not get a reply from the original post I contemplated this mod as a DIY project. Sitting with my wife I showed her the picture of the original mod by 2Q&ZQ. She gave it a long look and laughed "Looks like an umbrella, your gonna catch wind inside of it and fly away!"

*Dreams Destroyed* She has some merit as I do often find myself camping near coastal regions of Washington.

Now... I'm considering the Hennessy Supershelter, Modifying the Overcover to compliment my zip model. A completely different creature all together. I may contact the company directly as I still think this mod would work great in further inland areas where the wind is less.

Thanks Again! And Hello from the PNW!
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****."

~Jack Nickolson

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I bought a bottom entry hennessy back in 2001 for a backpacking trip through southeast Asia and had a local tailor add pole pockets on the diamond tarp just like the OP. I used paracord from the hammock tieouts straight to the tarp tieouts and hung stake free for years. All I needed was some weight in the hammock to stabilize things. Usually my pad and sleeping bag were sufficient weight except in heavy winds. I havent used it in about 8 or 9 years now but this post has me considering going back to my hennessy and trying it out again to see if it is still as awesome a setup as I remember.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    I bought a bottom entry hennessy back in 2001 for a backpacking trip through southeast Asia and had a local tailor add pole pockets on the diamond tarp just like the OP. I used paracord from the hammock tieouts straight to the tarp tieouts and hung stake free for years. All I needed was some weight in the hammock to stabilize things. Usually my pad and sleeping bag were sufficient weight except in heavy winds. I havent used it in about 8 or 9 years now but this post has me considering going back to my hennessy and trying it out again to see if it is still as awesome a setup as I remember.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It is amazing how much extra room the pole mod creates. I use a seperate ridgeline to stabilize/tie the pole to in the middle.
    For the asym/pole bottom connection I just made a string loop that stays tied to the tarp at each tieout. My pole ends are tapered and fit into the loops.

Ha, I've been thru this too - after getting into the DIY mode my HH sat unused for a couple years. I was thinking of selling it so I hung it up to check it out and I was so comfortable I couldn't let it go. Then BillyBob got me interested in the SuperShelter and Top Cover so now the HH system is my winter go to set-up.

By the way, during their January sale the SuperShelter goes for about $100 and Top Cover goes for $20. They also have a used demo equipment sale at the end of the season.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 09-05-2018 at 14:15.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345