Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I agree. But I think I might take a pass on setting up and sleeping in a thunderstorm on Thursday. It all remains to be seen.
    The best way to avoid being struck by lightning, don't be out in it. Good point.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    If all goes according to plan (and it seldom does), I may try to get there on Thursday.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    What a difference a few days makes---at least in the Weather Forecasting bidness. Both Accuweather
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ros...weather/340997
    and The Weather Channel
    http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/77471?role=
    are forecasting that we should be blessed with 0% chance of precip, highs in the high 70s and lows in the high 50s for the entire weekend.
    I'm still not sure if I can make Thursday, though. missed a day of work this week with some kind of head cold gunge and might have an opportunity to make the time up. CashKieth, you might want to adjust your sched accordingly. I should be there when the Park opens on Friday, though. I'll know by Wednesday if I'm going out
    Thursday and will post when I know.
    Might be a good time to talk about East Texas Gumbo soil. When it's wet, and its going to be, it tends to get sticky. Bring extra clothes and wear shoes that are relatively flat soled---at least not ones with big lugs on them. The more lugs on your boots, the more gumbo will stick to it. Parts of the trail will be through relatively open spaces where chiggers might abound. Blousing rubbers or rubber bands at the ends of your pants legs, leggings, or gaiters and long socks are recommended, and keep your shirts tucked in. The rest of the route will be in forest, so the usual precautions for ticks are recommended, and the skeeters will be out in full force as already mentioned.
    All of this is not to say that the park isn't a wonderful place and that we'll have anything other than a good time, just a heads up to make sure that we do. There is an amazing diversity of flora and fauna, if not terrain.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    If all goes according to plan (and it seldom does), I may try to get there on Thursday.
    Alan;

If you get there befor I do, you are looking for Steve Killian. Tell hm you're with the Hammock group and are looking for three (or four) camp sites in the Equestiran Primitive area.

Thanks

KV

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am leaving From SW Minnesota on Wednesday morning. Hoping to get to Oklahoma Wednesday night and to Brazos Thursday night if possible. If not I'll be to the park Friday. Looking forward to it. I need a vacation!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I am leaving From SW Minnesota on Wednesday morning. Hoping to get to Oklahoma Wednesday night and to Brazos Thursday night if possible. If not I'll be to the park Friday. Looking forward to it. I need a vacation!
    Do yourself a favor. Take a detour through the Wichita Mountians Wildlife Refuge near Lawton. Its one of the best kept secrets in the Southwest, and is the first National Wildlife refuge designated. You should be able to find a primitve site during the week. If you're heading straight down I35, it will take you a few hours out of your way, but IMHO its worth the time.

You'd head out the HE Bailey Turnpike out of OKC, and the Refuge is about 10-15 miles north of Lawton. The Wichitas will be a welcome relief in terrain from what you'll see driving through KS and most of the rest of OK. There's some great hiling up there, but camping is only allowed in a select few areas.

You'd come into TX through Wichita Falls, then down into Fort Worth on US287 then I35 south to Waco, then TX 6 south to Hempstead, TX159 into Sealy, then TX36 straight into Rosenberg. The Park is an easy drive from there on mulitple routes. You'll go through a few podunk towns, and a few places that used to be towns but aren't anymore and the last 60 miles is flat farmland, but that middle part is chock full of Texas Bluebonnets in full bloom on rolling hill country, a treat no Yankee visiting the Lonestar State this time of year should deny themselves. Take your time, you're on vacation dang it. I figure 10 hours for the drve bewtween here and the Refuge.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Take a detour through the Wichita Mountians Wildlife Refuge near Lawton. Its one of the best kept secrets in the Southwest, and is the first National Wildlife refuge designated. You should be able to find a primitve site during the week. If you're heading straight down I35, it will take you a few hours out of your way, but IMHO its worth the time.

You'd head out the HE Bailey Turnpike out of OKC, and the Refuge is about 10-15 miles north of Lawton. The Wichitas will be a welcome relief in terrain from what you'll see driving through KS and most of the rest of OK. There's some great hiling up there, but camping is only allowed in a select few areas.

You'd come into TX through Wichita Falls, then down into Fort Worth on US287 then I35 south to Waco, then TX 6 south to Hempstead, TX159 into Sealy, then TX36 straight into Rosenberg. The Park is an easy drive from there on mulitple routes. You'll go through a few podunk towns, and a few places that used to be towns but aren't anymore and the last 60 miles is flat farmland, but that middle part is chock full of Texas Bluebonnets in full bloom on rolling hill country, a treat no Yankee visiting the Lonestar State this time of year should deny themselves. Take your time, you're on vacation dang it. I figure 10 hours for the drve bewtween here and the Refuge.
    Thanks for the info. I have time. I may stop there on my way back up then during the week. I have the whole following week off.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Great. I can map out a couple of good hikes for you. Myavatar shows one of them, to a place called 40 Foot Hole.

Do you have space for one more? I have to work Friday, so I wouldn't be arriving until Saturday morning...

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
    Do you have space for one more? I have to work Friday, so I wouldn't be arriving until Saturday morning...
    I've got you covered. I have to leave Saturday so you can have my space and I'll even return your biners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast