Question Calling all double-bottom dwellers!

Hi all hammock lovers (which is everyone here of course :-)

Before I start my mid-winter design/build of a new hammock I wanted to ask for some feedback on any experiences from double-bottom layer users. Good, bad or funny, it's all of value.

My thought was to use 2 layers of 1.1 oz fabric. I'm about 220 lb but always thinking about weighing less... so a single layer of the light stuff wouldn't work for me. I wondered about the possible advantage of having the 2 layers of 1.1 oz compared a single layer of 1.7 oz. Perhaps I could slide a foamie, space-blanket (although not breathable), under-quilt, etc. between the two as needed to match the temperature? Maybe a zip/velcro/etc. opening on one side as well for at least part of the length?

Do you think this would work or not? Should the outer layer be a little longer/wider to make a bit of a gap between the two as opposed to snug together? Would 2 layers be better in avoiding mosquitoe bites?

Real-world experience is worth its weight in gold, er, I mean cuben fibre! (we spell it with 're' up here in the north)

Thanks in advance!
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pad between layers-yes
    Under quilt-no, hangs under hammock
    Space blanket-yes if using pad, if using underquilt put SB between UQ and hammock not between layers as the air gap will let it work better and your back won't get as sweaty

-Tim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Mosquitoes: the dbl layer will help you there.
    UQ: i am a huge fan of uq's and i don't leave home without them.

If it is going to be "very cold" i am fond of putting a wool blanket between the layers.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    If you are looking for plans for a double layer go to diygearsupply.com. Scott has a very indepth and easy to follow plan for a GL GEH. When Mandydawn made my gathered end double layer, these are the plans she used. You can also order your material from Scott as well and he will answer any questions you may have.

I now have 10 hangs on this hammock and have had no issues what so ever. From start to finish and hanging was 4 hrs. While Mandy was sewing the hammock, I was making the suspension. I do not like a pad so I stick with UQ's. The DL is great for summer time skeeter prevention. Do not see how tall you are so I will tell you that I am 6'1" 300lbs and the hammock is 10' x 58" and has now replaced my BB, ENO DN and Clark NX-200 as my hammock of choice. Good luck and happy hanging.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    I have a double layer 1.1oz. I have only tested it in the backyard but it seems to hold me fine at 195 and 6'. I layered them squarely and sewed almost all the way around twice. Pulled it right side out and sewed up the last bit. Gathered and whipped and that's it. So far seems to be no problems with it.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanMakeThat View Post
    ...Should the outer layer be a little longer/wider to make a bit of a gap between the two as opposed to snug together?...
    No! The second layer would not do it's fair share of supporting your weight and may not mold a pad to your back without gaps (think cold spot).

Thanks all for the input!

I'm 6' 1" by the way.

Do people prefer built in bug screens also, or is it really that much of an issue? I see so many videos around here without anything but a rain fly but it may depend on where you are and the time of year I suppose.
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

• + New Posts