I need to compact my gear somehow

Currently I have a jungle hammock with carabiner rigging with a large synthetic underquilt and a large down quilt. I am 6"4" so smaller stuff won't cut it.

My issue is that when I pack this stuff up it takes so space I find it hard to put on my motorcycle. I intend to do some winter camping in a couple of weeks and would really like to figure a way to compact everything.

I know buying a down underquilt would help but I am trying not to spend too much money. I am not sure if a new bag to carry everyone would work, better packing techniques, a half size underquilt?

Any ideas appreciated

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I pack a dry bag and strap it to my pillion. Aerostitch sells horseshoe bags that perform the same function.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Are you using compression sacks or just stuff sacks? Sea to Summit makes a nice "event" (waterproof) stuff sack tht lets the air out while compressing. They have a few sizes. Always just unpack your down/syn first to let loft when at camp. Im 6'8" so I know about trying to pack into a medium size world and try to keep up with lightweight camping is not exactly the same.

Take a look at your suspension. See if whoopie slings are an option. Might get rid of a lil bulk and maybe some weight.

Keep your eyes peeled for a cheap 3/4 underquilt.

Experiment with tyvek, silnylon, lightweight pads, reflectex, and your clothing to supplement warmth in the warmer months. Creating multiuse items to minimize bulk. A good rule for UL.backpacking is to use everything. why have a bulky jacket and a bulky quilt...unless its super cold.

Ive found cheap synthetic and down jackets/pants at Goodwill store to help supplement lighter quilts etc.

Just a few thoughts.

• + New Posts