Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark North American

Z-Liner dimension?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has the dimensions for the z-liner insulation for a North American model.

I was all set to buy the z-liner from Clark, but things took a nose dive on the financial front, so the DIY project is getting the green light instead.

I can sew like a demon, but I'm HORRIBLE at measuring and marking to fit an existing size (does that make sense? I can't measure the pockets on the 'mock and translate that to cutting fabric).

I've read other threads about some DIY projects and I'm pretty sure this is a do-able project for me since I have a ton of scrap material from making other backpacking projects.

I'd like to make the 6 pocket quilts (secured with inner velcro to prevent shifting) and the foot cover.

If anyone has those dimensions (either ones you made or you have the z-liner system and wouldn't mind measuring it), I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Our scout troop camps all year long and when it's under 20 degrees, it gets pretty chilly even with my 0 degree bag and foam pad.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Hammock
    Clark North American
    From what I've seen on Clark's comparison charts, the NX-200 is a diferent size than the NA. Good ideas on the thread link, but looking at the pictures in it, I don't think that will fit the NA.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Methinks 4 of the pockets are all the same size, and two might be larger.

Me-also-thinks you should do a mock up with one or more layers of styro - or other foam. Or cheap fill in pillows. To reduce bulk and weight, you might want the front pillows to be taller than the other two. That way, your head or shoulder can ride high on the side of the hmmck. I doubt full height is needed when filling the other pair of pockets.

Theres a long thread somewhere in on a Prez-made down-filled Z-liner system. (Hard to find, because of a different key word....."pads?") I mention it because the client, careful as he had been in measuring, wished in the end that the pillows /pads had been larger.

As for the tail piece: Much as I like my Clark hammocks and admire aspects of the design and execution, the only reason to insulate to the point, as that triangle does, is to cover all the furrows that might leak terribly. If you don't want to make the equivalent of a partial UQ with just 6 pads, consider not filling all of the point of the triangle, running just a single layer of fabric and velcro trim up there to form a seal, but recognizing your feet are not reaching up there, so why should bulky insulation?

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Methinks 4 of the pockets are all the same size, and two might be larger.

Me-also-thinks you should do a mock up with one or more layers of styro - or other foam. Or cheap fill in pillows. To reduce bulk and weight, you might want the front pillows to be taller than the other two. That way, your head or shoulder can ride high on the side of the hmmck. I doubt full height is needed when filling the other pair of pockets.

Theres a long thread somewhere in on a Prez-made down-filled Z-liner system. (Hard to find, because of a different key word....."pads?") I mention it because the client, careful as he had been in measuring, wished in the end that the pillows /pads had been larger.

As for the tail piece: Much as I like my Clark hammocks and admire aspects of the design and execution, the only reason to insulate to the point, as that triangle does, is to cover all the furrows that might leak terribly. If you don't want to make the equivalent of a partial UQ with just 6 pads, consider not filling all of the point of the triangle, running just a single layer of fabric and velcro trim up there to form a seal, but recognizing your feet are not reaching up there, so why should bulky insulation?

Glad you mention the tail piece, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    I'm debating whether to make pockets like the z-liner or make a hybrid UQ using 1 or 2 military poncho liners.

My first idea was to sew 2 poncho liners together (for loft), then velcro the foot end to match the NA velcro attachment points for the z-liner. The rest of it would hang suspended under the pocket section and have an adjustable "snugger" at the head end to keep airflow out.

The other idea is to replicate the z-liner and fill it with the guts of my old down/feather sleeping bag.

The hardest part for me is getting the sizing down. I can follow a pattern all day long, but my measuring skills are lacking.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    I have bought both the zliner and a UQ this winter

If I had it to do again, I would probably get just the UQ

The zliner is convenient, because you can just stuff it and the hammock together. 4 of the pads are the same size, and two are bigger as previously said.

The big downside to me is that a UQ is universal. A zliner (or homemade zliner) is only good on a specific Clark model. Get a vertex or tropical etc, or even a different size nx, and it's no good A UQ you can port from hammock to hammock, even across brands.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IL_Scouter View Post
    I'm debating whether to make pockets like the z-liner or make a hybrid UQ using 1 or 2 military poncho liners.
    <snip>
    The hardest part for me is getting the sizing down. I can follow a pattern all day long, but my measuring skills are lacking.
    Maybe you missed out on what was to be a revolution in math and statistics education: simulation. <smile> AKA trial and error. Hard-*** teachers never let that approach take off.

• So, make a couple of too large pillow cases,

• Grab a handful of safety pins and a bunch of styrofoam packing peanuts

• Ttry several sizes, adding or removing peanuts, and re-pinning until you have it right.

• Then measure and copy.That would be both the pinned size and the volume of peanuts.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-04-2012 at 11:55.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    I have bought both the zliner and a UQ this winter

<snip>

Would you report the dimensions Clark uses? I think you elsewhere reported that the pads are loose in the pockets.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    From reading other posts, I think I'll go the hybrid UQ route with poncho liners. If I can slow myself down in the process, I'll take and post pictures of the project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast