Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

hot weather question

Hammockers, help, I am taking a group of Boy Scouts on a Florida camping trip, Sea Base, and have spoken about the advantages of hammocking. It really seems the way to go on a Florida Key out island.

My question is to what needs to be used in the hammock, it should be 80+ degrees at night, probably hotter, down near Key West, should I have the boys bring a pad to sleep on? bag liner?

I researched the forums first but haven't found info on hot weather camping. thanks for the help and patience.

ankh, a new guy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ankh View Post
    Hammockers, help, I am taking a group of Boy Scouts on a Florida camping trip, Sea Base, and have spoken about the advantages of hammocking. It really seems the way to go on a Florida Key out island.

My question is to what needs to be used in the hammock, it should be 80+ degrees at night, probably hotter, down near Key West, should I have the boys bring a pad to sleep on? bag liner?

I researched the forums first but haven't found info on hot weather camping. thanks for the help and patience.

ankh, a new guy
    Welcome to the site.

80+ degree hanging at night is some hot weather hanging indeed. I dont have experience in that kind of heat at night. I would say you might seriously consider the scouts taking a thin closed cell pad just in case. Some folks get chilled underneath in temps as high a 75. Especially if the ocean breezes are robbing some heat. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The bag liner should be enough on top.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I would consider a cheapo fleece sleeping bag. 80* for me, is about at the point where I need little or no insulation on the bottom. You may also take a look at Neat Sheet quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images

follow up?

Further info, we are kayaking out to the island about 5 miles, space is limited on the yaks.

When bags, quilts, liners are used, you don't crawl in them like sleeping bags? You sleep directly on the pad? And would one of the Z-fold back pack pads be appropriate, or look for a car window sun block thing.

My only experience was difficult cause my small UL blow up pad kept slip sliding away, not to mention my feet hanging through the HH opening, dumb me hung my boots from the ridgeline thru the opening and the velcro never sealed, it seemed like a good idea cause of the Ga rain. I only hung my boots that way once, I'm learning.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome ankh.

Several scouters here. Stoikurt is from Panama City, maybe he can offer some words of advice.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Images
    I wouldn't waste your time with the window reflector things. I had no sucess with them. Given it was cooler when I tried them.

A ccp is probbily the way to go. You could trim them down. Maybe torso length, but it depends on the kid with this one. If it isn't wide enough either add more pad or put some extra clothes under the shoulders. Makes a great sit pad in camp too.

I am using a fleece blanket as bottom insulation in my house. It works into the high 60's for this human popsicle. It might not be a bad option either. Packs smaller than a pad. Buy cheap blankets or fleece material from walmart.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Don't forget the mosquitoes! Whatever you lay on needs to cover arms too. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you are a back sweater a ccf pad exaccerbates the problem in the summer...Back sweaters (and really most folk) will be more comfortable with breathable under insulation of some kind rather than body hugging non breatable pads....YMMV....and, I may be considered biased, but more than a few will agree

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images

Pan!

I gotta share this thought, back sweater??? Geez all I could picture was a real hairy back, too funny.

OK so I get the feeling a fleece bag may be enough to sleep on/in without a pad? But I think I will encourage a pad to sit on.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Anyone know if the Pacific Outdoor Tropical pad would be an option especially for us "back sweaters"? There site comments on its breathability or allow air circulation. You can supposedly slip an insert into it for more padding and insulation. Might make the ideal tropical pad. Keep you cooler when hot, warmer when cold by placing some spare clothing or whatever in the insert.

Again commenting from zero experience. Would a weather shield for the hammock provide enough warmth for cooler and/or windy tropical nights and also provide protection when exposed to heavy driving rains? If so, no need for a pad. Weather shield would serve multiple uses, maybe pack lighter & smaller.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast