Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

Tulle for bugnets

Was in Wally World today and saw they had white tulle and other assorted colors for $0.97 a yard 54 inches wide. It looks just like the bug mesh on my tent. From the feel of it, it's not stiff and drapes rather well. I'm going to get a bunch at this price, so check your wally world in the fabric dept. No I don't have any pictures but I'll post one when I get the tulle.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It'll work for a while (maybe a season) Tulle is fragile, and mine failed after a summer of exposure to the sun.
    ymmv

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've used it and will probably continue to use it for certain things. It is very cheap. It's super light at about 1/3 oz/sy (and it comes in all sorts of colors). Noseeums can get through, but a soaking in Permethrin will take care of that.

It is very fragile, therefore not recommended for scout troops (or my wife) and even when taken care of, it will deteriorate quickly - you may get a dozen trips out of it, depending on where you go.

I have always used the lightest weight gear I could find and have learned to be very gentle with it, so tulle works for me as long as I expect it to be a temporary solution. I think it's great for making mock-ups of a new design that you're not too sure about. You can make several prototypes before spending real money on the final product. In the meantime, I actually use my prototypes for as long as they will last because they are lighter than just about anything out there.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Yeah, I know its fragile, but even 1 season for less than $10.00 is worth it to me. I'm very gentle with my hammock stuff. It's a good way to make a Ted Bug Net for cheap.

Permethrin is a good friend of mine - everything gets soaked once a month in the spring and summer. I'm going to try the white tulle as I hear it brightens up the inside of the hammock. My Blackbird is dark with the top zipped up (black bug net).

And yes to the cheap prototypes MAD777! I make too many mistakes to work with the good stuff first!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Yeah, I know its fragile, but even 1 season for less than $10.00 is worth it to me. I'm very gentle with my hammock stuff. It's a good way to make a Ted Bug Net for cheap.

Permethrin is a good friend of mine - everything gets soaked once a month in the spring and summer. I'm going to try the white tulle as I hear it brightens up the inside of the hammock. My Blackbird is dark with the top zipped up (black bug net).

And yes to the cheap prototypes MAD777! I make too many mistakes to work with the good stuff first!
    The only downside to light colors is it's hard to see through. . . other than that, lots of folks use tulle.

I found Joann's has "fashion tulle" which is printed. The camo is pretty cool. It's heavier than normal tulle, but really strong.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Tulle is very fragile, and some more than others. I found through personal experience that JoAnn's Tulle is very weak. If I were you, I'd purchase a small sample piece and put it through the test before you buy a big piece of any it. I had to start using no see-um mesh because it wasn't worth it. Your time, money and effort in assembly counts for something.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    The only downside to light colors is it's hard to see through. . . other than that, lots of folks use tulle.

I found Joann's has "fashion tulle" which is printed. The camo is pretty cool. It's heavier than normal tulle, but really strong.

John
    Fashion tulle printed camo. Joann's isn't far away. I'll go look and see. Thanks for the advice all!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    It'll work for a while (maybe a season) Tulle is fragile, and mine failed after a summer of exposure to the sun.
    ymmv
    Light, but not very durable. Nice stuff to build prototypes. Outside of experiments have limited Tulle use to tarp skins & ditty bags. Not saving much weight, but cheap and no real pita when they fall apart in the field.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Personally TeeDee and I use Organza now. Tighter weave (smaller holes) than noseeum and lighter than noseeum. About the same weight as the nanoseeum that TeeDee purchased a few years back.

Organza has performed well and, as far as we can tell from the strong arm tests is as strong as noseeum or nanoseeum.

Only two disadvantages to Organza over noseeum that we can tell:

1. the smaller holes means that you get less air circulation on hot days, and
    2. the edges will fray and MUST be hemmed. Whereas noseeum edges don't fray and don't require hemming.

Organza has one advantage: we can get it locally, no shipping, but sales tax applies, and no waiting for handling and shipping.

We now prefer Organza to noseeum.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    We now prefer Organza to noseeum.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Organza!

How much does it stretch compared to the common noseeum netting or to tulle?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast