Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Some advice for Hanging in State Parks

So after talking to some members here, and a few park rangers, I thought I would give a little of my experiences dealing with parks.

First, I will never condone or promote anything that could possibly be illegal in anyway, and my advice may not carry over so you're on your own past this point.

Some of you may know that I have put on a Hammock Camping event in the Santee State Park, Santee SC. I am in the works for this years event, and I have been asked by a few other members here how I got the magic pass to do it.

Normally, if I am by myself I follow the tried and true method of "Ask forgiveness rather than permission" rule.

In the rule books of a lot of, if not all, state parks there is a "no hammocks" rule. This is usually followed by "...and other objects attached to the tree". This came about because people would NAIL things like clothes lines and party lights etc, into the trees causing scaring. Also, most people would either leave the nails in the tree (ugly) or pull the nails and toss them (dangerous) rather than pack them out. So, this rule came about since at the time, hammocks were of the Pawley's island variety and just hooked into hooks that were screwed into trees and other structures.

Well, enter the age of reason that we live in now and we, the Hammock Campers of the world, have found better, more eco friendly ways of enjoying the beloved outdoors with our hammocks! And, just like the sign out front of most state parks, the rule and thinking behind it hasn't been changed since the 1960's...That's where butt kissing skills come in.

First thing, go in person to the park. DO NOT call. The reason is you will usually get someone that knows the cliff notes version of the rules and regs, and if they get a question like "can we use a hammock" they think net and spreader bar hammocks and refer to the rule banishing them. They aren't usually motivated to help beyond quoting what they have in front of them or listen to your side. If you call at all, its to find out when the head guy in charge will be there, I call him the Park Manager (could be a different title...)

Second, when you go, go prepared. When I went I took basically my whole rig and some extras. Take the simplest, fastest and nicest thing you have to demo. You are asking an audience of a person that usually has other things to do then to learn something new that contradicts the rules as they are written. Something you need to impress upon the Park Manager is the differences between the backyard hammocks and real camping hammocks, and the fact that the people who use them are essentially forced to use some form of tree protecting attachment. Also, any time you can put the idea of more revenue to the park with no ill affects, you will catch their attention. Parks need all the help they can get these days!

Last (and this should be paramount and first, but it should be a given) be polite. You are representing every Hammock Camper that will come after you. Be helpful and educational, offer to show and demo the hammock system and invite them to take a test drive. If you can get them in and show them how low impact this is, you usually are in. Heck, you might even get a Hammock Convert!

If all that fails, don't be discouraged! There is always tomorrow, and if repeated polite attempts to extol the virtues of our setups, there is always another rung on the ladder. You may have to start all over with someone higher up, but if we show a positive, polite and helpful attitude people are more likely to listen.

SO! Think about these things next time you want to go for a hang somewhere that isn't just "out there". Your actions today will affect the hangers of tomorrow, so while we practice things like "Leave No Trace" every time we camp, we have to keep in mind we are the red-headed step children of camping & hiking and have to be the best we can out there.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Amen red-headed step brother!

David

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Very well put! Very well stated! Very nice! Did you know your a salesman and statesman?
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Good words there, Rev!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    ive spent my life in customer service. theres tricks to getting what you want when you want it with places that have ridiculous standards and rules. the parks system is good, but a little musty.

thank ye!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    OES MCD, WB SF
    Insulation
    WL T/UQ,HG 0* T/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Who knows? You may even get the right person to amend the rule. Well, we can hope anyway. Never underestimate the power of politeness.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    ~Dr. Seuss

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I virtually always camp at remote backpack sites when in state parks so there are no rangers out there usually. If I camp in a state park campground I pick a site that is secluded so rangers driving by can't get a good look at my rig and pass it off as a tent. The other option in a campground is to wait and setup after dark. The last thing I'd do is outright ask them if I can use my hammock. You'll likely get a no and they won't care to sit and listen to you educate them.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    ive spent my life in customer service. theres tricks to getting what you want when you want it...
    Yeah! It's called Nuero Linguistic Programming and it definitely works in the sales & market field.

Good advice there. In the sales field I learned that persistance pays the bills. Do everything REV said exactly like he said, and never ever take no for an answer. If at first you don't succeed try, try, & try again. Eventually someone will listen to you if for no reason other than they are tired of hearing your name or seeing your face.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    What we need is clear straps and suspension. The tarp will make it look like a tent.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    REV for Pres!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast