Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Spring Dolly Sods, WV Hang - May 4 - 6

OK all, based on the feeler thread, this will serve as the "Official Planning Thread" for the Spring Dolly Sods, WV hang, taking place May 4 - 6. We had a great group last September, and I'm sure we'll have the same this time around.

This will be conducted as a "Hike your own hike" hang, wherein we will designate the Friday and Saturday night campsites, and you can choose your own path to them based on weather/ creek conditions, arrival time, fitness level, or just plain curiosity.

Here is a link to the tracking spreadsheet. It is shared and editable by anyone with the link: Dolly Sods Hang Tracking Spreadsheet

I have also created a Google Map of the various waypoints. If you have information to add, please feel free to edit, add to, or comment on it, as I've shared it. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Dolly Sods Hang Google Map

The proposed itinerary is as follows:
    Friday, May 4th Campsite: on the Big Stonecoal Trail; Approximately 39.017111, -79.377139. There is a large grove of tall white pines that was scouted out last September that looks perfect for a hangout. It is in the general vicinity of the GPS coordinates I provided. Good clear flowing water is nearby, but it will still need treated as a precautionary measure.

You cannot miss this site, as the trees look to be planted in perfect rows, and they are not the common Red Spruce found all over the Sods. This looks more like a field of telephone poles.

Saturday, May 5th Campsite: Left Fork of Red Creek, just upstream of the Blackbird Knob Trail Crossing; Approximately 39.037753, -79.358883. This is the same site that we stayed at for two days last September. It is a large site with plenty of space, and straddles both sides of the left fork (the left bank site is slightly smaller) The creek is shallow and clear. The easiest way to find this site is to hike the Blackbird Knob trail until you come to the left (western) fork of Red Creek. Walk upstream about 200 yards, and you're there.

There are three major entry points to this area of the Sods. On the East side is Forest Road 75. The Red Creek Campground near the northern end is the trail head for the Blackbird knob trail. There are pit toilets in the campground, and a small piped spring.

On the southern side is Laneville Wildlife Cabin, and the outlet of the Red Creek Gorge. If the weather makes the roads impassible at 4000 feet (FR 75), this is the safest entry point, although it will be uphill most of the way, and there may be some hairy creek crossings. WV is experienced with this route and it's water crossings.

On the western side is FR 80. I have never hiked in from here, but from the looks of it, this is the easiest/ shortest hike to either campsite. If anyone is experienced with this entry point, please lend a hand and describe it with regards to parking/ road conditions.

As this is a hike your own hike hang, and we have plenty of time to prepare for it, I am sure there will be various groups of people coming from different areas, on different days, and with different plans. As long as we can all get together and hang in the Sods, it will be a great time.

For further information on the Sods, this site has a ton of information on the trails, and has downloadable maps: Mid Atlantic Hikes
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Signed up, should be good barring any unforeseen circumstances. Also game for any of the hikes in with a group.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Vdeal knows the trails up from Laneville better than I do. I expect others can help with info as we get closer also.

I'd be surprised if there's any trouble getting up to FR 75 in May, but a saw might help if there are trees across the road.

Here's a webcam looking across Canaan Valley toward DS (on the horizon). There's current weather data next to the image.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Argh. My youngest daughter's birthday is May 6th. Maybe she'd like to camp and hike for her birthday... (doubtful).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If you don't mind, I will drive to your house, WV, and hike with you.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    If you don't mind, I will drive to your house, WV, and hike with you.
    Great, Mac! I was going to suggest something like that. Can you come a week or two early? We'll pass the Cranberry, Seneca Creek, Laurel Fork, Otter Creek, and Roaring Plains/Flatrock Plains Wilderness areas on the way to DS from my house.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Can you come a week or two early?
    That's right tempting... I could hike all over WV with you, then walk back to Damascus for Trail Days, and on to the Gorge from there!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    That's right tempting... I could hike all over WV with you, then walk back to Damascus for Trail Days, and on to the Gorge from there!
    Wow, I bet it's nice to be self-employed! I'm really jealous...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Signed in. Happy Camper, Vdeal, Maztrain, Firefly, you all planning on coming? Maybe we could do some car pooling & convoy. Dibs on Rubber Duck handle.

Images
    Jealous of ya'll doing MAHHA one weekend, and this the next. Already on the work schedule for the Friday of MAHHA. Can't get the next Friday off. Maybe I'll scoot down and catch up with ya'll on Saturday.
    Last edited by Joey; 02-01-2012 at 11:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast