Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for posting the video------------I was looking at Google Patents the other day (looking at hammock patents---some of the older ones are pretty interesting!)---------anyway, i didnt see anything that even remotely resembles this type of hammock. Does anyone know of any patents for this style of hammock?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There may be some very old Central American patents. Not sure of dates, but I'm guessing you'd need to understand the Mayan calendar.
    Last edited by WV; 05-13-2012 at 07:18. Reason: "Prior Art"

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Ergo Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    I found these videos from fourdogstove.com and I'm really excited about this hammock. He reviews both the hammock and the tarp in two different videos. This looks like a sweet hammock.

If someone knows how to post a youtube video in the forums please do so with these videos.

about the hammock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5msjs...eature=related

About the Tarp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lWMWLa0urw

Here is a link for a guys DIY version of this type of hammock:
    Not sure why, but it says that these videos are private?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrad View Post
    Not sure why, but it says that these videos are private?
    Yup, same for me.
    I remember watching those fourdogstove videos about the Ergo, but they're no longer in his video list at youtube.
    Other videos about the Ergo (youtube search), but none from fourdogstove....

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yes, video was marked private. But this should be the link for the video in question.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZlPEbTOgW8

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeman1470 View Post
    Yes, video was marked private. But this should be the link for the video in question.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZlPEbTOgW8
    I think that's a 'fourdogstove' video about the Scout hammock, not the Ergo.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Ergo Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat 9
    Anybody have any experience regards to the mat size in this hammock. I have tried it a couple of nights and love it, but I'm thinking about buying a new UL-mat and was wondering if the LW version would be a better fit in this hammock?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrad View Post
    Anybody have any experience regards to the mat size in this hammock. I have tried it a couple of nights and love it, but I'm thinking about buying a new UL-mat and was wondering if the LW version would be a better fit in this hammock?
    I use an Exped Downmat 9 LW in my Ergo, and it fits fine, and gives a nice smooth sleeping surface.

I have now used the Ergo for a couple of nights and found it comfortable and warm. I have a regular foam-filled Thermarest and it has caused an occasional cold ham (I am getting better to moving myself a little bit when turning over), a LW-size mattress would be better, but not an issue worth purchasing a new one.

This is a well designed hammock and attention has been paid to the details. The rainfly has little pockets for the cords, the hammock has red and green tabs (sailing colours) to indicate which way to set it up and so on.

A major issue with this hammock is that it needs to be set up high. I am 172 cm tall (5´8" in the furlong system) and I need to stand on my toes to get the straps high enough. I assume that removing the ridgeline or replacing it with a longer one would help here. With my old HH hammock I could just park my car next to a tree and get a nice hang from the roof rack, I don't know if this works with the Ergo. Also the hammock is aggressively diagonal, close to perpendicular, so some attention needs to be paid when setting it up. For example I can set my HH up on my balcony, not the Ergo. As my HH has no pad pocket, it will still lose in this temperate climate.

Here is me inside the hammock (rainfly not needed, pleace notice the tall side wall and also single tree hang):

And here is a happy camper, yours truly lounging perpendicular to the sleeping position:

kiravuo

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Kiravuo:
    Thanks for the comments and pictures.
    Are you using this for kayaking/canoeing trips? (I notice the PFD hanging....)

Quote Originally Posted by kiravuo View Post
    A major issue with this hammock is that it needs to be set up high. I am 172 cm tall (5´8" in the furlong system) and I need to stand on my toes to get the straps high enough. I assume that removing the ridgeline or replacing it with a longer one would help here.
    I'm a bit taller than you and I generally put the straps on the trees about as high as I can comfortably reach. I don't like the hammock to be too low to the ground (easier to enter and exit if it's not too low...).
    I generally ignore the 30° 'Rule of Thumb' for the Ergo suspension lines and rig them pretty tight; it's worked OK for me. (My usual procedure is: set it up, sit in the hammock to stretch everything, then move the carabiner a few holes 'tighter' on the eyelet rope.)
    I wouldn't advise removing the ridgeline, for fear of over-stressing the Dyneema (thin) suspension lines. How long is the ridgeline on your Ergo? I could measure the ridgeline on mine if you need a comparison, but they are probably the same since I haven't changed mine from the factory 'setting'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast