Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Two people One Hammock

Ok I am a complete noob to this. But I was wondering if anyone shared there hammock with there significant other. I am looking to get my Girlfriend to hammock camp with me. And sharing sleeping arrangements would cut down on weight and it could be a fun way to stay warm.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I wouldn't suggest it, but it's only MY opinion, mainly on the basis of comfort. You can have a hammock that supports the weight, and may be physically wide enough to hold two people, but I have a feeling it will end up being an uncomfortable night once you hit the rack. Once in awhile my daughter will crawl into mine when I'm lying in it watching a show or reading, and even at 40 pounds, it's a tight fit. It's fine for just relaxing for awhile, but we could never sleep through a night that way.

You best best is to try it out at home if you can. You wouldn't want to get out to the woods to find out that you can't sleep. Make sure you consider the weather conditions, so test it with any pads, UQs sleeping bags, or TQs you expect to use.

You can throw together a DIY gathered end pretty quickly and cheaply out of store bought ripstop if you find out you'll need two hammocks.

This is all based on anecdotal evidence that I've experienced. YMMV, and I'm sure others can chime in as well.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    Hey, I've tried this several times, and I've been fairly successful. Basically we had to make sure her hips were lower than mine. Squashing hips quickly becomes very uncomfortable. I could try to explain exactly how we laid in it, but that would be rather difficult.

Anyway, we've done it a few times, but when we went on a 3 night trip into the backcountry we decided on a tent. There just isn't much moving around space. We needed more space to spread out for various reasons...

Make sure you're both aware that when one person gets up during the night to pee, the other person will always be awakened.

I'd say give it a shot, but have the ability to go to ground if necessary. I found it very pleasant for overnights!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would just get another hammock for her and hang it close. Think more like two hammocks one tarp, not two people one hammock. I guarantee you will me much more comfy.

Fronkey

Went by a friends house about 2 weeks ago and me and a girlfriend took a nap in hes gigantic hammock (was about 2 meters wide brazillian hammock)
    bout wake up about 3-4 hours later and it was fairly comfortable.
    were about the same lenght and she needed to lay like prevoiusly mentiond "a head down" (ended up being head on shoulder style)
    thou were bouth heavy sleepers that dont move much.
    we enjoied it but i think that if you dont "synk" eachoters movements when asleep you might wake eachother upp prety often.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly Camo
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ w/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the feedback. As in all other aspects of life I will give it the trial and error method. I am determined to get us both hanging one way or the other.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I've seen articles stating that entire families in South America sleep in one hammock. Maybe the key is to style your hammock after what they use. But , I'm guess that thier hammocks are bigger that 5'x10'.

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    I think I've seen articles stating that entire families in South America sleep in one hammock. Maybe the key is to style your hammock after what they use. But , I'm guess that thier hammocks are bigger that 5'x10'.
    We had a large "family hammock" from Venezuela when I was growing up. It was huge though I don't remember the measurements.

When two people layed with their shoulders touching and their legs angled slightly to the outer edge, a ridge of taught fabric would raise up from your shoulder right up the middle to the gathered end. it sort of created a double hammock effect. You can sort of see a similar effect in smaller hammocks when you lay straight and then separate your legs out to the edges and push down a bit with your heels.

It is sort of hard to describe, but I have not been able to recreate it with my Deep Jungle because it is too small.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    My wife and I have done it (sleep) in the same hammock.

HH Explorer Deluxe and we're side sleepers.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I've never tried a full night with anybody but the cats in my hammock and even that can be uncomfortable. Every time one of them moves, guess who gets woken up?
    I'm with Fronkey on this one, get two hammocks and hang them close under one tarp. This is what my boyfriend and I do camping and it's the most comfortable for both of us. An afternoon snooze is a completely different story though.
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast