Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Geez, I wonder what conclusions one could come to based on these responses.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I used the large figure-9's for about the first 6 months I had my HH. It worked fine except that I started to see abrasions on the rope. I am much larger than you by the way.

The friend that introduced me to hammocks is probably about your size, he has used them for about 2 years, although he also noticed abrasions.

That being said, I personally wouldn't try the figure-9 carabiner. They look substantially lighter than the regular figure-9's.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good for you to ask those question as people new to hammock camping might be investigating that same idea. I'm also with the 100%, don't use the Fig 9's as a suspension system but you can use them for a tarp set up if you want.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    Hennessy deluxe zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Thanks for the responses. Just saw them and figured they wouldn't work but thought I would ask. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    As others have said, don't, its not strong enough by a long shot.

If you do continue to use the figure 9, please include one of us in your will so we can get your gear.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle
    I use a figure 9 carabiner for my tarp ridge line and love it for adjustability. A tarp line does not support the same weight as the hammock suspension though. I also use the figure 9's for my tarp lines and again they make for quick fast adjustments and a tight line.

Eh...

As long as you are not hanging your hammock over anything angry looking like a stump or a rock or other debris, I don't worry very much. After wrapping I would throw a half hitch in to prevent slipping, it's primarily that slipping that leads to rope damage from the teeth.

I wouldn't use them in any situation that is the least bit precarious.

The example given before, with a 30 degree angle (120 degrees in actuality), the anchor and all the gear between you and it feels 200 pounds of force, on each end which is indeed above the load rating.

http://www.ropebook.com/information/vector-forces

With all that said, working load generally ends up being smaller and smaller fractions of the breaking strength as the piece of gear or rope in question gets smaller and smaller. But who knows what that breaking load actually is and how closely that convention was followed by Nite-ize.

My advice: Take a few lengths of old climbing rope and use those on the trees or whatever, tie it off and use the hammocks rope to make some kind of prusik like friction hitch on one of the tails. A few come to mind I'm just having trouble thinking of names at the moment.

I've been doing that for a few years and I have had exactly zero problems, including not noticing any wear whatsoever.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I used the large figure-9's for about the first 6 months I had my HH. It worked fine except that I started to see abrasions on the rope. I am much larger than you by the way.

The friend that introduced me to hammocks is probably about your size, he has used them for about 2 years, although he also noticed abrasions.

That being said, I personally wouldn't try the figure-9 carabiner. They look substantially lighter than the regular figure-9's.
    I've used figure 9 biners to hang from, only once, granted, I was in the middle of my radiation therapy and only weighed 145lbs. The biners survived, as did the suspension on my hammock, but now that I'm back up to 200lbs, I wouldn't dare.

As others have said never hang higher than your willing to fall, but also keep in mind that when load bearing hardware fails, it can sometimes whip around at high speeds after it snaps... So I'd be wary about getting cracked in the head by shards of pot metal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12