Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WL OMW Pole Mod

WL OMW Pole Mod

Well, I wouldn't call it a success. Don't know what I'd call it. Seems the pull outs are placed a little high for the poles I have as it flattens the top of the tarp. These poles are not putting excess pull on the pull outs or the ridgeline seem, they are just very close together and it flattens the ridgeline.

and the pup cause he's a winner

You see what I'm talking about... I'm contemplating fixing two more prussicks onto my ridgeline to keep the poles pulled outward and add tie-outs to the pullouts, that are like my bottom tieouts. Use a prussick attatched to the pull out and attatch the the pole like a tent stake. This'll allow me apply the right amount of tension to pull out but not flatten my roof. Will mod this week and try out this weekend at Mohican. Will update.

Meant to add - I used 3 sections of .344 Easton Nano aluminum with end caps and shock cord through it. 2 poles, 6 pieces total. Total cost including shipping for mod 25.00
    Last edited by Red Wing; 01-30-2012 at 03:22.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    thats pretty cool, i want to do a pole mod also.
    i'm a tarp over the ridge line guy and i would really see how your mod. would look in that config.

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    thats pretty cool, i want to do a pole mod also.
    i'm a tarp over the ridge line guy and i would really see how your mod. would look in that config.
    The poles would be resting directly on your tarp. I'm trying to avoid this. Also the use of prussicks on the ridgeline to slide the poles through and pull out will keep them secure and not wobbling around with the wind. I had to put a little bend in the center pole to take some of the pressure off as it was like stringing a bow before.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    nice pole mod,,,did one to my OMW with 2413 Easton Aluminum arrow shafts...I really don't worry about the shafts resting on the top of the tarp as you never ever got wear on the aluminum shafts inside or outside of a tent. And not getting wear from the silnylon tarp using them. Shafts are just too smooth. Using the arrow shafts you need to figure or glue a close fit different size shaft inside to create a connector and they work perfect like yours. I love the room it creates inside the tarp and so far have withstood about 30 mph winds with no problems at all. Give you a example of poles against silnylon as I have a Nemo Nano Elite ultralite tent,,and the their poles set up inside the tent from corner to corner crisscrossing and when buying the tent,,they gave you 2 options of poles,,one was bamboo,,other was easton aluminum,,and neither create wear on material and they fit against the sewn ridgelines of the tent where its even seam sealed with no wear what so ever as I used the tent numerous times above tree lines in the mountains in alot of wind at times..its my go to camp setup when above tree lines.
    Last edited by Acer; 01-30-2012 at 06:20.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Nice job! I'll look forward to checking it out in person later in Feb.

David

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I like it too. That really gives you a lot of room inside, very nice.

I actually think it looks awesome, and seems to add a great deal of room to the interior of the tarp!!!

Oh and the pup is tooooooooooooo cute!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

He' a lil turd for sure, too smart for his own good

I'm worried about 2 things with a flat roof, which is what the poles are currently doing, 1) Snow build up instead of shedding b) when it warms up and I have to worry about dew or whatever moisture build up on the inside of my tarp, I don't want to get rained on.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I used carbon fiber arrows and Easton arrows as my connector .. I did get a small abrasion hole from NOT making sure the aluminum was smooth .. I remedied this with a small piece of duct tape .. the total length is about 42'' ..this is on the WL Big Daddy with the tarp over the RL .. it does " flatten" out the tarp but this has no ill effect on shedding water. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them here ..

Slo .. I think your poles are just too long .. you want them to push out opposing the force of each other .. I spent the better part of a day playing with various lengths until I came to this conclusion ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I used carbon fiber arrows and Easton arrows as my connector .. I did get a small abrasion hole from NOT making sure the aluminum was smooth .. I remedied this with a small piece of duct tape .. the total length is about 42'' ..this is on the WL Big Daddy with the tarp over the RL .. it does " flatten" out the tarp but this has no ill effect on shedding water. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them here ..

Slo .. I think your poles are just too long .. you want them to push out opposing the force of each other .. I spent the better part of a day playing with various lengths until I came to this conclusion ..
    I thought the same thing too but any shorter and they'd really be holding some torque to the point I'd worry about the forces being put on me tie outs. Like I said before, I had to put a little bend in the pole to get a "safe" tension. I think I need a smaller diameter pole to be honest and maybe go carbon vs. aluminum since carbons naturally have a little more flex in them. That's the key here is lots of flex over relatively small area.

I think I convinced myself that's what I'm going to have to do.

Also, shedding snow is a legit concern. I don't think people understand how heavy snow gets when it starts accumulating. That's a lot of weight to put on a flat top tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast