Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    The JMT was built long before the PCT was completed; the PCT shares much of the JMT tread from Crabtree Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, except the stretch between just N of Devils Postpile to Thousand Island Lake... The JMT designated southern terminus is the Mt. Whitney summit, the northern terminus is Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley...

With a little planning, plus knowing that hanging might dictate your daily trail miles - one can hammock every night... But some above treeline locations 'call out' to be able to see the sunset (or sunrise) - thus being able to also go to ground gives the best of both sleeping modes for traveling the 'High Sierra'...

Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    WB Single Layer Traveler
    Tarp
    HG cuban 4season
    Insulation
    HG 30 deg burrow
    Suspension
    8' whoopie slings
    I completed the JMT last summer. I was hiking with 3 ground dwellers and was told beforehand that camp would NOT be made based on trees so that I could hang but strategically on mileage and what was in store for the next day. *Often we hiked halfway up a pass and camped above 10,000 ft to reduce a big pass climb the next day. I was able to hang every single night (16) except for one, of course Guitar Lake at 11,500 which I knew. 2 nights I had to get a bit creative, including my best hang job at Sapphire Lake. Those of you that have hiked here are probably thinking "no way" but on the southwest side of the lake about 300 feet up from the lakeshore there were a couple trees that I was able to make work, not the most ideal and I was off the side of a cliff, but made securities that if the tree snapped I wouldn't go tumbling down the side of the mountain. *It did provide me with an unbelievable view to fall asleep to and if I were to go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

Here's a video of that hang
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZX-...e_gdata_player

I used a 2/3rd UQ to keep weight low combined with a 3/8" CC foam pad for extra insulation and the nights I would have to ground it (honestly thought it would be more like 4-5 nights)

So to answer your question, absolutely you can hang and I highly recommend it. *With a bit of creativity you can hang at 10,500+ so you won't always have to adjust your mileage based on hanging options. I was the only one on the trail hanging that I saw and several others that we camped a night test it out for a after hike nap and said they wish they had a hammock instead of ground dwelling.

Good luck and have a blast!
    Last edited by Desert_Hanger; 03-27-2012 at 15:28.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    Awesome video! I'm still undecided. I have 2 full set-ups, one to hang and one to ground. I'm almost thinking...for 16.5 oz (my tent) I could bring both lol.

Wait a min...maybe...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Just caught this thread. Awesome hang in that video DH. Can't wait to get back on that trail in July.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Some parents and youth leaders in our local BSA troop did a section hike of the JMT starting in 2007, finishing in 2009. Like others mentioned, all but the very high elevations are conducive to hammocks. It was a really cool project for the boys to work on and we had guests from back east join us too. The scenery takes your breath away, but then again so do the passes.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 Camo
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'll be doing a section hike on the JMT starting on June 19 this year, from Reds Meadow to Happy Trails. I'm going to try to hammock each night, most of that leg is under 10k so I think I should be fine. I may replace my pack foam pad with 4oz of gossamer gear thinlight insulation pad as a backup for go-to-ground. Going with some other folks who will be using tents, so there may be a night or two where I'm camping in a separate location from them.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will be doing the JMT in August with a couple of other hangers. We anticipate no problems.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome hang in the video! Kudos!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeardHanger View Post
    Thank you! I’m still learning all these terms…
    So it’s part of the PCT?
    Go here http://www.traildino.com/trace/conti...ted_States#Map and click on 1 of 4 pics to see a FANTASTIC map of major american trails.

You'll probably even find out there are tons near you that you had no idea existed.

I love this map for trail listings. AND you can clearly see where they intersect in california, for example.

fantastic map for those learning.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG CubeF w/ doors
    Insulation
    NEO AIR
    Suspension
    Strap Dutch Whoopi
    I am planning on doing the entire JMT in July 2014 with a hammock, tarp, pad hang/ground setup. Any ideas on what type of stakes are best out here. How feasible is it to just use rocks in place of stakes.

Also thinking of bringing some homemade or purpose built climbers nuts for rock suspensions when necessary. Any experience here would be helpful. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast