Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

Underquilt, help!

Hi everyone,

I received my HH UL a week ago and immediately got out into the nearest forest to try it out. What a hassel it was to set it up for the first time! But it doesn't discourage me to keep on using it, understand that I need some more practise. But what was annoying was my cold back and knees, the ccf pad that I was using kept slipping away during the night and even when I laid on it I felt uncomfortable...

Now to remedy this problem I've read on Just Jeffs homepage about underquilts, seems like the answer to my problems! But which one should I choose? I'm not going to attempt sewing one so the alternativ seems that I choose either one of the three following: KAQ, The Nest (JRB) or the SuperShelter (HH). Is their anyone that has any experience with these systems? What would you guys suggest?

Images

underquilt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    Hi everyone,

I received my HH UL a week ago and immediately got out into the nearest forest to try it out. What a hassel it was to set it up for the first time! But it doesn't discourage me to keep on using it, understand that I need some more practise. But what was annoying was my cold back and knees, the ccf pad that I was using kept slipping away during the night and even when I laid on it I felt uncomfortable...

Now to remedy this problem I've read on Just Jeffs homepage about underquilts, seems like the answer to my problems! But which one should I choose? I'm not going to attempt sewing one so the alternativ seems that I choose either one of the three following: KAQ, The Nest (JRB) or the SuperShelter (HH). Is their anyone that has any experience with these systems? What would you guys suggest?
    i just got done doing the same thing. used a walmart pad, kept rolling off it. bought a 40" wide 1/4" pad from speer (cut it in the shape of a light bulb). took me down to 45 degrees with a 40 degree bag, but it was hard to move on but stayed in place. bought the JRB nest will test it this weekend. hopefully these guys can help u with your decision. they helped me enough that i am going to hang on my SOBO this year

do a search on underquilts, you'll have enoght to read till the rain stops

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    All three of your chioces are good ones although I have to admit I never used the Supershelter except at tail days. I think the nest is the best. It compresses down much smaller than the other two. All the Jacks quilts are excellent for workmanship, weight and compressability. I have a KAQ but I don't take it hiking often. It is just too big to fit in my pack. It is almost the size of my pack. I hear durability is an issue with the SS pad.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I just ordered an evazote pad from Gossamer Gear - one of their Thinlights is made wide specifically for hammock users. I didn't have problems with a CCF from Walmart with silicone smeared and dotted on the bottom; I think part of the trick is to make sure the hammock is hanging "right". As others on this forum have repeated (and I have experienced) the foot rope/strap needs to be higher than the head end so the tension in the hammock isn't out of whack and the ridgeline/bugnet is set right. You can experiment with this to find your preferred "sweet spot" and it helps with whatever you put in the hammock as well as under it.

I used my underquilt the first time the other day - it's a beautiful warm feeling.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There are several choices when it comes to underquilts. The guys at Jacks r Better make a few different options, The Preacher's Wife makes a good UQ from what I understand. You may want to contact her when they're back from vacation and are sewing again. The SnugFit from Speer Hammocks is great, also. I have one and love it. I have no experience with the HH or SuperShelter, so I can't give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I like my JRB Nest.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    After helping Amanda make her first Down quilt, all I can say is that the Jacks are the kings of down. Hammocks are tricky in that if you go with quilts, you need 2 of them. The synthetic underquilts work great, but they can be bulky. I have experimented with them, and it is hard to find room for both quilts, it is not that they are heavy, just bulky. I bought a wide pad as well, and then it was hard finding a place for it, since it was so wide. I am going to have my wife make me a new down quilt set, using ed's 900 down, but only because I know that she can. The Jack's quilts are great, and if you knew what it took to make a single down quilt of their quality, you would know that they sell them at a great price. On the same note, many love their Peapods and Snugfits from Ed Speer's, Ed is great, and I have never heard anyone being dissapointed with his work.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

The Green JRB

It seems as if the general consent is that the JRB nest is the way to go, but does it only come that flourescent green color? Not really something that blends into the forest...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    It seems as if the general consent is that the JRB nest is the way to go, but does it only come that flourescent green color? Not really something that blends into the forest...
    Sadly, yes it only comes in that color. The Jacks call it 'Kelly Green', but most people agree they must be colorblind. You can always reverse the quilt, though, since the other side is black.

Don't overlook the Speer SnugFit if you will be doing any camping in cooler weather. It is a superb design that offers no-fuss warmth; just hang it and enjoy. The only drawback is that it is a bit overkill for summertime temps. It does come in a very muted green color, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I'm not crazy over the color of my JRB Hudson River either but decided to make a weathershield for it out of a darker green DWR material. Should hide the lighter quilt color. Now to get ZQ to do the design work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast