Question Need some Under Quilt & Top Quilt advice

Hey folks,

I am really new to backpacking and hanging. I am 5'10'' and 195lbs. I got into it because my oldest son is now going into Boy Scouts and I figured it would be a good way for us to spend time together.

I have purchased a hammock form Hennessy (Deep Jungle) and got a Scout for free. All my experience so far is from 1 hang in my back yard to try the hammock. From that experience, I figured out that I sleep cold and my 20 degree Big Angus sleeping bag with pad insert was pretty uncomfortable. I think this is probably because of the pad underneath (It kept sliding down).

So now I am thinking about getting or making an Under Quilt and Top Quilt for both my son and I. I think I want both to be good to about 15 degrees (we have a Late Feb hang coming up where there may be snow). I believe from the research I have done, I want a Full length (head to toe) Under Quilt and a long & wide Top Quilt (don't like be confined to much which is why I did not want a mummy bag).

So a few questions to those who know way more then I:
    1. Is it better to buy then make? I have seen some nice designs that I like such as the v2.0 under quilt at LeighLo's Hammock which is $220. Also it seems finding a good place for bulk down if fairly tough and not real inexpensive either considering how much will be needed.
    2. How hard really is it to work with down? From the reading I have done it seems most people hate that part of the making process?
    3. Besides this forum (which I find invaluable), where is a good place for someone to pick up good quilt sewing guidance. I basically own a sewing machine but have not really used it much.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by rogp View Post
    So a few questions to those who know way more then I:
    1. Is it better to buy then make? I have seen some nice designs that I like such as the v2.0 under quilt at LeighLo's Hammock which is $220. Also it seems finding a good place for bulk down if fairly tough and not real inexpensive either considering how much will be needed.
    is it better to buy or make......this is very complex question

i made mine for a couple of reasons

1. i had the time to do it, if your think of your time as free then you can save a few bucks making it yourself, as long as you buy your materials at a good price

2. i could make what i wanted to fit my specs

3. i really like the satisfaction of making my own stuff, not usually as pretty as the stuff you can buy, but always functional

but if you have put a price on your time and have to re-do things a couple of time, buy expensive material etc. then your probably better off buying your gear and the gear you buy from cottage makers on here is the highest quality out there and the customer service from all of them is top notch

i bought down off of ebay, buying bloomingdales my luxe pillows, they are 800fp and if you watch closely and have patients you can pick some up that make the down very reasonable per ounce, now some people have bought some off of there and been disappointed in the down, i myself was very happy with it, but there are different sellers with different products and some are much better than others i suspect

2. How hard really is it to work with down? From the reading I have done it seems most people hate that part of the making process?
    i can be a bit of a hassle, i work with down inside a tent set up in my house with the vacuum cleaner right outside the door so i can get all the loose down, if you just do it in an open room you can find feathers for weeks, the vacuum method is popular also

http://www.tothewoods.net/StuffingDown.html

3. Besides this forum (which I find invaluable), where is a good place for someone to pick up good quilt sewing guidance. I basically own a sewing machine but have not really used it much.
    you should watch ramblinrevs videos, very informative

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6802

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19006

just jeffs site has some good stuff on it as does thru-hiker

http://www.tothewoods.net/

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/index...ubcat=5&cid=72
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts