Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Claytor diamond tarp--- pleasant surprise!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BillyBob58
    Neo, did you ever get wet with that stock Claytor diamond tarp?

never have not yet other than a little minor wind driven mist the did not really matter neo
    I had asked Neo the above because I had been pleasantly surprised with the camouflage diamond shaped stock tarp that came with the Claytor jungle hammock. It seemed to cover the extra long jungle hammock pretty adequately. But not having yet been able to test it in rain, that's why I decided to ask Neo a little about how it had worked for him. But I had another idea on my mind.

I have always been sort of torn between the stock Hennessy hammock approach and using a big honking tarp, preferably a rectangle shaped tarp, tied to the trees. The reasons for the larger tarps are obvious and well known to everybody at this forum. On the other hand, at least for Hennessy hammock users, there's just something simple and attractive about the stock set up. First of all minimal weight, and also only needing two stakes or tie out points is very attractive and very simple and very light weight. The trouble is feeling confident in wind driven rain, especially if tied to the trees. And I have always also had a theory that the asymmetrically cut tarp contributes to the problem. It seems to me that using various tricks, I can get what seems like adequate coverage with the Hennessy tarp attached to the suspension as is designed, but things are always a little questionable on the (I believe) left head side and right foot side. And of course there is always the problem of the loose tarp after you get in, but that can mostly be dealt with with various tricks, once you know what they are. But the coverage is the problem, especially when tied to the trees, even though many a person has reported getting through a deluge successfully. A few others have reported getting wet. So it can be tricky.

To get to the point, I just took the Claytor diamond tarp (which weighs 6 ounces more than the tarp that came on my ultralight Explorer) and tried it on the Hennessy hammock. This tarp is 13 feet long, compared to 11'5" on the stock Hennessy tarp and 11 feet on my JRB, and it is not light weight Sil-Nylon. But, like I said, another major difference is that this one is a symmetrical cut.

I started out with the tarp tied separately to the support posts. Coverage was much better than I had ever achieved before with a diamond tarp (not surprisingly I suppose considering the length), even after I laid in the hammock and hammock sag occurred. Even then rain coverage was adequate it seemed to me, whereas normally I would feel pretty unprotected with the stock tarp tied to the trees. Then I attached the tarp to the Hennessy hammock suspension. ( I bought this Claytor hammock and tarp from Mule. There are elastics on the lateral tie outs, but I don't know if these were added by Mule or if they come with the stock tarp from Claytor.)

With this tarp attached in a normal Hennessy hammock way (to the suspension) rain protection was obviously equal to or better than with any tarp I have ever used so far. And the elastics between the tarp and the ground stakes did a fine job of compensating for the extra sag in the tarp that occurred once I laid in the hammock. It was fairly breezy out but the tarp seemed at least fairly stable. So the feeling I got from these two trials was that this diamond shaped tarp would provide adequate coverage from windblown rain when tied to the trees, and would provide pretty much bombproof coverage when tied to the suspension. Although, even with the elastics, the pitch of course might not be as tight and stable in the wind as it would be if tied to the trees. I didn't have time to try it with one end tied to the tree and the other in attached to the Hennessy hammock prussic.

I don't know if this tarp is available by itself, but here is yet another option that would probably work quite well with most hammock's. Personally, if I was wanting to use a diamond shaped tarp rather than a rectangular tarp, with my Hennessy hammock Explorer, I would most definitely lug the extra few ounces to carry this tarp. But then it would become a tossup between this 17 ounce tarp and the 18 or 19 ounce Silnylon rectangular tarps, which would obviously have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, compared to the diamond tarp. But I am not certain they would provide any better rain protection even with both tied to the trees, though they would probably provide more living space and better ability to close the ends to block wind. This would have to be weighed by the individual against the advantages of only two stakes or lateral tie outs, and the unbeatable rain protection when tied to the HH suspension. I'll try to get some pics later.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just looked at the web site and it doesn't look like there are any tie out loops on the sides. Just looked again and noticed them on the second and third from last pictures.

With the side tie out, you can hang that tarp in a LOT more ways and it is a lot more versatile. Even better than a rectangular tarp.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hex SilNyl
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ
    Suspension
    All in One
    What about making a light weight Sil-Nylon diamond tarp ???
    Less weight for the same coverage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    What about making a light weight Sil-Nylon diamond tarp ???
    Less weight for the same coverage.
    For sure. I don't know why HH or someone hasn't made a larger diamond tarp available. That is, larger than the already larger one that comes with the Explorer, which is larger than the one that comes with the ULBP. But, that only compensates for the longer Explorer hammock. But the extra plus 2.5 feet of this tarp, plus the non-Asym cut, seems to make a very huge dif. If they ( or you) made one with sil-nyl, the extra weight would be small. It is only 5 oz dif as is.

Images

Check it out

I think you will agree that, even on the longer Explorer hammock, there is plenty of coverage- even without a steep storm pitch- to keep the rain out. Coverage on the ULBP or a Speer 8/8.5 would be even more impressive. I have one end tied to the uprights, and the other tied to the hammock suspension. This seemed to work pretty good also.

The only draw back to the non-asym cut as far as I can tell is that, if you are going to tie the HH sides out, you will need extra stakes or tree/brush/roots/rocks or whatever.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hex SilNyl
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ
    Suspension
    All in One
    I hadn't tried the Claytor diamond with my HH Explorer...but that looks good.

As an aside -

The HH Hex tarp I have weighs in at 802g (28.3oz), including tieouts.
    The Claytor JH diamond weighs in at 438g (15.4oz), excluding tieouts.

The HH website says that the sil-nylon Hex weighs 539g (19oz).

Weight vs coverage, coverage vs weight...

Nice looking tarp...

Can it be had by itself?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    Nice looking tarp...

Can it be had by itself?
    I don't think so, but I don't know if anyone has tried.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    Nice looking tarp...

Can it be had by itself?
    Isn't this the same tarp?

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/rainfly3x4.html

Or is it the camo that doesn't come by itself?
    Last edited by fin; 06-08-2008 at 21:11.

Images
    Tarps with longer ridgelines can't always be pitched as close to the hammock as tarps with shorter ridgelines. Usually, when hammocks are weighted by the occupant the suspension lines have a sag angle. The tarp ridgeline needs to clear the hammock suspension lines.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast