Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    No, sorry, I just meant it rhetorically...

    I've grown too used to defending the "Buy American" concept; maybe that is impossible now. However, avoiding "Made in China," still is possible.


    Rick
    Last edited by daibutsu; 06-06-2008 at 16:42.

  2. #12
    I just checked my HH and it says "made in China" on the stuff sack but not on the Hammock.

    I understand what people are saying about the quality of goods made in China but they are improving rapidly.
    Need I remind you all that we used to say the same thing about Japanese "Jap crap" made goods in the 60's.
    Look at us now!
    America's number one rated car for quality and customer satisfaction is a Toyota Lexus.
    Most of the best electronics and cameras too are made in Japan.
    China is copying Japan as an example to imitate and emulate. As such, their learning curve will be much shorter.
    Korea did the same.
    Once China gets it's quality control measures in place and US importers stop shopping around for the cheapest Chinese goods to import, China will be a manufacturing force to be reckoned with.
    It already is!

    As Neo says "The Matrix has you". Get used to buying Chinese goods, just demand better quality from the importers.
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

  3. #13
    For me my avoidance of things Chinese has little to do with their dubious quality of goods. And, really little to do with Darfur, Nepal, Taiwan, Falun Gong, military build up, veiled threats, computer hacking/espionage, child labor, or inscrutable demeanor. It is about blowing up satellites effectively tainting an arena (orbital space) they'd rather not compete in, poisoning their environment and in turn our environment, exporting tainted and dangerous goods, back handed dealing in regard to currency inflation, and totalitarian communism.

    When distributors of Chinese goods here, or Canada, remotely associate themselves as manufacturers (by not admitting Chinese manufacture) they are unfairly competing against American manufacturers. Within this small community, we can be aware of what is made by whom and factor that into our purchasing decisions.

    What is so ironic about all this is, as necessary (to our hobby) appreciators of the outdoors and pristene nature, aiding China in any way is completely contrary to our cause. Especially vexing are people immediately involved in the sport/industry wanting it both ways, i.e., profiteering at the environmental expense of others: Others today, us tomorow.

    As an aside to Bugzee; I notice you live in Kobe, I lived in Japan for two years. Can you imagine places like Kita Kamakura (where the real daibutsu is) ever in China open to the regular people? Japan was never Communist. And Japan is a manufacturing force to be reckoned with; what can we ever "reckon" with China?

    Rick
    Last edited by daibutsu; 06-07-2008 at 05:56.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Ks
    Posts
    657
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    This is not a political or ideological issue, it is a disclosure issue. There are many excellent hammock manufacturers out there competing on many levels; all factors should be disclosed and allowed to be taken into account.
    Are you sure this isn't a political issue for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    For me my avoidance of things Chinese has little to do with their dubious quality of goods. And, really little to do with Darfur, Nepal, Taiwan, Falun Gong, military build up, veiled threats, computer hacking/espionage, child labor, or inscrutable demeanor. It is about blowing up satellites effectively tainting an arena (orbital space) they'd rather not compete in, poisoning their environment and in turn our environment, exporting tainted and dangerous goods, back handed dealing in regard to currency inflation, and totalitarian communism.
    I don't disagree with you at all! I just think that this is most definately a political issue for you! These issues would affect your desire to purchase, though, and I think most manufacturers are aware that "Made in China" (for various reasons) is a blackmark on their product. Thus, they don't want to display that.

    Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    What is so ironic about all this is, as necessary (to our hobby) appreciators of the outdoors and pristene nature, aiding China in any way is completely contrary to our cause. Especially vexing are people immediately involved in the sport/industry wanting it both ways, i.e., profiteering at the environmental expense of others: Others today, us tomorow.
    Rick
    Hey! Stop pointing this out! How can I wear all my cool gear around now without feeling all guilty and stuff? I bought this to be cool, and so I would look like those dudes in Backpacker?!
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 06-07-2008 at 08:21.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Ks
    Posts
    657
    Images
    14

    Manufacutrers list

    Truely, the issue of buying gear that is slave manufactured is abhorent, and we should all pledge to stop supporting this crap! How about we try to compile a list of major hammock companies, and where their goods are manufacutured? Obviously we already have the Hennessey, and can include The Travel Hammock. Can anyone with other hammocks chime in to the country of manufacture?

    Hennessey Hammocks (HH)--China

    The Travel Hammock--China

    Claytor--

    Speer--USA quote from the website
    All of our Hammocks and Accessories are
    Proudly Hand Made in the Southern Appalachians
    (We make them in our house!)
    Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO)--Bali

    TrekLight--Bali

    Ticket to the Moon--Bali

    Jacks R' Better (JRB)--USA

    Clark--USA Quote from website:
    Every Jungle Hammock is still produced in our Salt Lake City facility where we ensure perfection in each shipment. This is why we can absolutely guarantee your satisfaction.
    Byer--

    Crazy Creek--

    Lawson-- China

    Warbonnet-- USA

    Any other companies I have forgotten?

    Thanks, Angrysparrow! I have looked up all the companies above, and have added what they have listed on the website. I will call the different companies that I cannot find info for on Monday to fill in the gaps unless someone who knows will chime in...
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 06-09-2008 at 19:34.

  6. #16
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    All of the HAAB hammocks seem to be made by the same manufacturer in Bali -

    EaglesNestOutfitters - Bali
    TrekLight - Bali
    Ticket To The Moon - Bali
    Perhaps others..

    Not on your list -
    Clark
    Byer
    Crazy Creek
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  7. #17
    The concern for inferior Chinese manufacturing can be over blown, depending upon what item you're talking about and the quality you paid for. If you look for cheap goods, you'll most likely get cheap production values.

    On the other hand, there are high quality products coming out of China. iPods and semi-conductor chips are two examples.

    The politics of the issue is, for me, a more difficult issue. Still, even there China is not as bad as others, IMO. Consider, for example, certain Middle East countries and our favorite imported product, oil.

    In the end, we each apply our individual judgements to individual countries. But from an economic viewpoint, imports exist because the producing country can provide them cheaper than we can domestically (comparative advantage). It's through trade that a nation obtains more goods than if it were to produce all goods at home. Of course, that's what I was taught in my International Trade and Investment course...a less capitalistic viewpoint might share different opinions.

    FB

  8. #18
    Bali, Thailand, Philippines, Japan, Brasil, Mexico, anywhere but China is ok by me... Hell, Thailand practically invented the fist sized $1.00 portable hammock and Brasil revolutionized conjugal hammocking!!!

    I asked HH, a few days ago, why they don't readily disclose country of manufacture, no response yet. Someone pointed out that HH does print "Made in China" on the stuff sack, I discarded mine upon getting my hammock. It looked more like an advertisement vs. a stealthy stuff sack.

    There also is Lawson Hammock, rumor has it that they are a big BSA supplier. After two requests originally citing 'overseas,' they admitted to Chinese manufacture.
    Last edited by daibutsu; 06-07-2008 at 10:55.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wichita, Ks
    Posts
    657
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    The concern for inferior Chinese manufacturing can be over blown, depending upon what item you're talking about and the quality you paid for. If you look for cheap goods, you'll most likely get cheap production values.
    That is true, but we are talking about things here that we hang from, so manufacturing quality becomes very important. I would sure hate to have equipment failure that results in my injury in the middle of nowhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post

    In the end, we each apply our individual judgements to individual countries. But from an economic viewpoint, imports exist because the producing country can provide them cheaper than we can domestically (comparative advantage). It's through trade that a nation obtains more goods than if it were to produce all goods at home. Of course, that's what I was taught in my International Trade and Investment course...a less capitalistic viewpoint might share different opinions.

    FB
    Gee, what a surprise! Your International Trade and Investment course justified globalism for you. Knock me over with a feather!

    Two issues have come up in this thread regarding country of manufacturer. One involves craftsmanship, and the other is morality. I can see these issues being important to uninformed consumers, and I think it is nice that we will have a thread that asseses this.
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 06-07-2008 at 11:16.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    That is true, but we are talking about things here that we hang from, so manufacturing quality becomes very important. I would sure hate to have equipment failure that results in my injury in the middle of nowhere.



    Gee, what a surprise! Your International Trade and Investment course justified globalism for you. Knock me over with a feather!

    Two issues have come up in this thread regarding country of manufacturer. One involves craftsmanship, and the other is morality. I can see these issues being important to uninformed consumers, and I think it is nice that we will have a thread that asseses this.

    It's a selective morality. As I pointed out, "we" don't see much concern about the goodness of those who provide our oil.

    FB

Similar Threads

  1. Country of manufacture
    By SimonMc in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 00:52
  2. Greetings from Big Sky Country
    By Montalaskan in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 17:40
  3. In country
    By HangingKayaker in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 16:01
  4. x country ski
    By kayaknut01 in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 22:29
  5. x country ski
    By kayaknut01 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 22:29

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •