Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Question Fighting the dreaded leg ridge

So in my time here and my time in the hammock I've learned a few things about how to decrease the discomfort of the ridge which seems to always run across my calves when laying in a gathered end hammock.

1. Don't string the hammock too tight. A properly set structural ridgeline can help to reduce the chance of this, but remember you don't want to be able to use your ridgeline as a musical instrument.
    2. Hang the foot end of the hammock slightly higher than the head. This also helps with the sliding down problem that alot of new hangers experience where you go to sleep all comfortable but awaken in the middle of the night with your feet and TQ hanging over the edge of the hammock. As little as four inches seems to help, but I've found 6 inches to be the magic number on my particular hammock, just one more bit of fiddle factor many of us seem to love about hammocks.
    3. 3. For side sleepers: If you sleep on your right side sleep Head left, feet right. If left side sleeper sleep head right, feet left. I've found that this moves my calves beyond the ridge of fabric and decreases the amount of wiggling I need to do to get comfortable.
    4. 4. Use a small pillow or stuff sack of clothing under your legs. You want something that is soft enough to absorb the ridge but still provide plenty of support to your legs.

What have you come up with to defeat the ridge?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The size and location of the ridge is directly proportional to the size and location of your butt. A small shift toward the footbox side of the hammock works wonders.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    5. The ballerina or "Jethro Tull" pose; one knee pulled up relieves calf squeeze.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Haha! Jethro Tull. I'm going to use that! One of my favourite bands, my favourite sleep position in the hammock.

Sure beats telling your mates at the pub that you sleep like a ballerina (which I have done, by the way ).
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    When I feel a hard ridge under my calves, I INCREASE my diagonal angle. That eliminates the ridge instantly for me.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    This thread should help me alot, because this calf pressure is a deal breaker for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    What have you come up with to defeat the ridge?
    I returned my first hammock to REI (thinking it's the hammocks fault) and ordered a new one. Looks like I really need to get this set up in the basement so I will have more than weekends to allow me all the time I need to dial in/tweak the adjustable ridge line length, my body's positioning, etc.

I'll be looking forward to reading & testing more ideas.
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The size and location of the ridge is directly proportional to the size and location of your butt. A small shift toward the footbox side of the hammock works wonders.
    This may help my situation. I was honestly thinking I was just too short and fat to be 100% comfy in a hammock. (5'10" / 260) I started to think about what I saw in alot of the videos people post ... and the size of clothing that would be placed for sale ... and thought I was alot heavier than these folks. I have been working on this, and really think that as my butt shrinks I will be more comfortable with everything I do!
    -Turtle Creek

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    This thread should help me alot, because this calf pressure is a deal breaker for me!

I returned my first hammock to REI (thinking it's the hammocks fault) and ordered a new one. Looks like I really need to get this set up in the basement so I will have more than weekends to allow me all the time I need to dial in/tweak the adjustable ridge line length, my body's positioning, etc.

I'll be looking forward to reading & testing more ideas.
    Do you have a WL hammock yet? If so, do you still have the pressure? If so, you shouldn't have it. But you might still have to do things just right to be 100% free of it ( see Old Gringo's post as well as the others). I find it pretty easy(with WL LO dbl) to keep the pressure to a minimum and good enough not to bother me. Other times I have zero pressure. Mind you this is with minimal experimentation for correct amount of slack for me, no ridgeline added yet. I'm just throwing it up there, with not all that much slack so far, and this problem has been minimal to zero. But so far, more likely to be zero if I have my butt centered a bit more towards the foot side, just like with all my other non-bridge hammocks.

And as always, despite any other cons it might have, the 100% cure 100% of the time for any issues related to legs or side "torque" is a bridge hammock. For me anyway.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do you have a WL hammock yet? If so, do you still have the pressure? If so, you shouldn't have it. But you might still have to do things just right to be 100% free of it ( see Old Gringo's post as well as the others). I find it pretty easy(with WL LO dbl) to keep the pressure to a minimum and good enough not to bother me. Other times I have zero pressure. Mind you this is with minimal experimentation for correct amount of slack for me, no ridgeline added yet. I'm just throwing it up there, with not all that much slack so far, and this problem has been minimal to zero. But so far, more likely to be zero if I have my butt centered a bit more towards the foot side, just like with all my other non-bridge hammocks.

And as always, despite any other cons it might have, the 100% cure 100% of the time for any issues related to legs or side "torque" is a bridge hammock. For me anyway.
    I ordered a WL Night Owl late last week, it should be coming soon. I did have a long conversation with myself when deciding WL Owl or a Bridge style. With these good tips, hopefully I can dial this in, and hit the trail for a three nighter!
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I have both the Warbonnet BlackBird and Traveler. Never had a "dreaded leg ridge" problem in either one.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast