Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I was also about to say check the box. I once had a box turn up that had books in it. I noticed on closer inspection they had been repackaged. The books looked like they had been out in the rain and the whole thing smelled like air freshener.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used to work at UPS and I have seen some things. I once drop-kicked a box onto a conveyor belt and the contents shattered. Inside the box: bottles of animal gland extract. Skunk, red fox, opossum - you name it. Every foul-smelling animal you could name. It got all over a lot of people's boxes - they had to shut the UPS facility 'cause the stench was so nauseating.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    My TQ and UQ that I bought from Hammock Gear both smelled like a perfume of sorts when I received them in the mail. Could it be the down? After using the method DemostiX recommended (although I hadn't brought any of this up at the time), I no longer smelled it. Thankfully they both now smell like campfire and a bit like me.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

The box was in great shape when i got it-- and the reason i dont think it was from a outside source was the uq in the box smelled fine--- the box didnt smell-- it wasnt till i took the tq out--- perfume city..

Fireinmybones--- good to know that you were able to get the scent out.. Ill keep working on it...

Does anyone know if--- or the best way --- to wash a down quilt like this? Im thinking i might try that..

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBB View Post
    The box was in great shape when i got it-- and the reason i dont think it was from a outside source was the uq in the box smelled fine--- the box didnt smell-- it wasnt till i took the tq out--- perfume city..

Fireinmybones--- good to know that you were able to get the scent out.. Ill keep working on it...

Does anyone know if--- or the best way --- to wash a down quilt like this? Im thinking i might try that..
    to wash down quilts you need special soap first... JRB sells stuff or look around
    next you need a Front Load washer and Drier ... you CAN NOT use a reg washer or you will do damage to the quilts Front Load ONLY
    wash the quilts on the gentle cycle with down soap ... make sure it's rung out good before you put it in the drier...
    next put it in the drier on the lowest setting you have DO NOT dry it on Med heat or higher... add some tennis balls in with it to break up the down clumps
    pull it out every so often and check it and shake it out ... repeat till dry
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Yes, you can hand-wash down garments very nicely in a top-loaded washer. The centrifuge action of the rinse cyle is great for water extraction, so that fewer rinses are needed than without them, and your garment will dry hours sooner in the dryer.

[I]You just never agitate in a top-loader.[/I]

If water won't feed with the top up, just find the safety switch and temporarily defeat it, often with a pen.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I hope I never have to wash my down (though I know I'll need to one day). Airing it out, compressing the quilts, letting them fluff up, compressing them and letting them fluff up worked great for me. I also let my wife use them around the house to make me feel more at home in the woods along with using a campfire for warmth their (the quilts) first time out not only removed the old smell but made me feel more comfortable in them.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    You can look around on EBay for an inexpensive ozone generator. One of the ones with the plastic tube attachment to ozonate water. Putting stinky items in a plastic bag with the ozone tube running into the bag and loosely seal it up should work.

I've also done it with hanging stuff up in a closet with the machine running in there as well.
    I've read that ozone acts like anesthetic for your taste buds - it doesn't do anything to the odor, just keeps you from smelling it. Also, it may not be good for you.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Silvrsurfr: You say you used to work at UPS. After that experience, I understand why you no longer work there. LOL.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Avoid Washing Your Down

Before washing your down, I would make every effort to let the quilt air naturally. Washing a down garment, sleeping bag, quilt, etc. is a major undertaking. I have washed two down sleeping bags and after the experience, I would avoid it at all costs, if possible. I'd send the quilt back before I'd go that route. Also, it is easy to ruin down if you aren't careful washing it, and washing it too much will shorten the life.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast