Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    Took a look at the Claytor online and it looks/seems nice. I like to do winter camping as well and the 4-season Clark is appealing. I also like the zip-up weathershield feature. At least 1/3 of the camping I do is taking the boyscouts out and having a place you can zip up to change is probably an important issue. I would be looking at Clark NX-200 as I think it would suit my size better but still $400 for a hammock is something that doesnt sit well with the wife if you know what I mean!

  2. #12
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Took a look at the Claytor online and it looks/seems nice. I like to do winter camping as well and the 4-season Clark is appealing. I also like the zip-up weathershield feature. At least 1/3 of the camping I do is taking the boyscouts out and having a place you can zip up to change is probably an important issue. I would be looking at Clark NX-200 as I think it would suit my size better but still $400 for a hammock is something that doesnt sit well with the wife if you know what I mean!
    Something to keep in mind is a top cover/weathershield for a hammock such as a Claytor Jungle hammock is really simple to make. Also it's much easier to dress/undress outside the hammock behind your tarp than trying it inside the hammock. You would have a lot of options as to what hammock, tarp and accessories to buy for $400. Not knocking the Clark cause I've never tried one but no way I'm throwing down that kind of bling for a hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  3. #13
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Took a look at the Claytor online and it looks/seems nice. I like to do winter camping as well and the 4-season Clark is appealing. I also like the zip-up weathershield feature. At least 1/3 of the camping I do is taking the boyscouts out and having a place you can zip up to change is probably an important issue. I would be looking at Clark NX-200 as I think it would suit my size better but still $400 for a hammock is something that doesnt sit well with the wife if you know what I mean!
    If you want to zip up and change inside your hammock on a regular basis, you must be a contortionist. Even though I am a HUGE Clark fan, and love my NA, I agree with FF. Save the $$, sew a weathershield yourself or make a sock (really easy) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3369&catid=searchresults&searchid= 5587, and buy or make a large tarp, like the 11 x 14 tarp shown here http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3368&c=searchresults&searchid=5587 . Add some doors on the end, or get a speer winter tarp, and it's STILL cheaper than buying the Clark. I AM NOT RIPPING THE CLARK AT ALL, but having spent the coin on one myself, I can understand your reservations. Clark makes a great hammock, but it is certainly not the cheapest option to go with, or necessarily the best for you and the way you sleep. Someone needs to open a hammock store where you can go and try out all the different options before purchasing.

    Heck, if you aren't all that concerned about weight, and if you use a sock (maybe $10 if you can find the fabric at Walmart) and buy an aftermarket bugnet from somewhere like ENO ($54.95,) you can get away with buying an Ultralight Travel Hammock for $22.00. I bought my 11 x 14 tarp for $70 used, or you could have a custom MacCat Deluxe made for around $120(?) or make a tarp yourself for between $20 - $60. You would have your whole system for under $200.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Hector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Posts
    285
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I plan on over comming this "slipping off your pad" problem by using either an big agnes sleeping bag (instead of padding on the bottom of the bag there is a pocket to slide your pad in making it impossible to roll off your bag)...
    I would highly recommend that as a satisfied user of BA bags in hammocks. The BA bags work well in all hammocks as well as on the ground.

    As for the choice of hammock, I believe you can get "good and flat" on the diagonal in either a double HAAB (Hammock And Attached Bag) like the ENO (or Treklite or Tree Hugger, etc.) or an HH. The deciding factor between the two, for me, would be whether you needed bug netting. If so, then the HH would be the hands-down choice as, in my opinion, the most bomb-proof bug-proof solution. If not, the lighter weight and cheaper price of the HAAB would win out.

    No matter what you get, try to get it without the "stock tarp" and get a good tarp that suits your style.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Something to keep in mind is a top cover/weathershield for a hammock such as a Claytor Jungle hammock is really simple to make. Also it's much easier to dress/undress outside the hammock behind your tarp than trying it inside the hammock. You would have a lot of options as to what hammock, tarp and accessories to buy for $400. Not knocking the Clark cause I've never tried one but no way I'm throwing down that kind of bling for a hammock.
    I agree it is hard to "throw down" that type of money on a hammock but I have considered three things
    1. The Clark will serve as my hammock (when trees are around) and tent (when no possible way to hang) and if you split the difference of the cost by thinking your getting a great hammock and a good tent it helps
    2. I don't have a sewing machine (a few hundred bucks for a good one) nor do I know of anyone I could bug to do the work for me. So to buy fabric and a sewing machine would about equal the cost of a clark
    3. The last thing I need is to pick up another time consuming hobby like sewing hammocks. I would rather pay the price for a hammock I wont need to fiddle with that will suit my needs for years to come and will leave me time to do my other hobbies

    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    If you want to zip up and change inside your hammock on a regular basis, you must be a contortionist. Even though I am a HUGE Clark fan, and love my NA, I agree with FF. Save the $$, sew a weathershield yourself or make a sock (really easy) http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3369&catid=searchresults&searchid= 5587, and buy or make a large tarp, like the 11 x 14 tarp shown here http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3368&c=searchresults&searchid=5587 . Add some doors on the end, or get a speer winter tarp, and it's STILL cheaper than buying the Clark. I AM NOT RIPPING THE CLARK AT ALL, but having spent the coin on one myself, I can understand your reservations. Clark makes a great hammock, but it is certainly not the cheapest option to go with, or necessarily the best for you and the way you sleep. Someone needs to open a hammock store where you can go and try out all the different options before purchasing.

    Heck, if you aren't all that concerned about weight, and if you use a sock (maybe $10 if you can find the fabric at Walmart) and buy an aftermarket bugnet from somewhere like ENO ($54.95,) you can get away with buying an Ultralight Travel Hammock for $22.00. I bought my 11 x 14 tarp for $70 used, or you could have a custom MacCat Deluxe made for around $120(?) or make a tarp yourself for between $20 - $60. You would have your whole system for under $200.
    Well when I am with scouts I would need to change in the hammock as to avoid problems. Because I am so tall, when tent camping I lay down on my bag and wiggle in and out of cloths. Not as easy as standing up but not bad. I figure the only difference in a hammock would be possibly swinging while laying down so I cant imagine it being that hard...is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    I would highly recommend that as a satisfied user of BA bags in hammocks. The BA bags work well in all hammocks as well as on the ground .
    Glad to hear about the BA bags. Heard a lot of good things about these. I'm looking into the summit park which is bigger than a traditional mummy bag but lite enough to backpack with.


    Thanks for all the comments, keep um comming

  6. #16
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Well when I am with scouts I would need to change in the hammock as to avoid problems. Because I am so tall, when tent camping I lay down on my bag and wiggle in and out of cloths. Not as easy as standing up but not bad. I figure the only difference in a hammock would be possibly swinging while laying down so I cant imagine it being that hard...is it?
    Oh boy, you're opening up a can here!

    I could probably do it with a lot of swinging and groaning on the ropes. As you are contortioning around, you will be putting a lot of stress on the stitches, the ropes, the netting, the hardware you are hanging with.... just make sure you have EXCELLENT rope and fasteners, and your knots don't slip, and there isn't a failure of your biner or the hem of your hammock. I understand that you need to change out of sight, but........

    IMO, I wouldn't do a lot of it. Sure, you can - but why put the added stress on a piece of equipment that expensive? Try it when you get the Clark, and let us know. Also, don't mess around with getting the stock tarp - get their new XXXL tarp for the nx-200, even if you get the NA. If you can't get that, get the XL tarp.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Roadtorque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,117
    Hope I dont sound like I'm trying to argue, after all I dont even have a hammock. These are just things I need to deal with if I get one and are in part determining factors in getting one. I didnt even think about the increased weight/tension/forces placed on the hammock parts while bouncing around trying to change. I looked at the specs for the Clark NA. The max load is700lbs load with 1710lbs rope strength do you think this would be enough to compensate for a 210lbs guy trying to change? I guess if not I really need to look into a very large tarp that I could almost make a tent around me and use this to change. What do you all do when you need to change and dont want people to see you?
    Last edited by Roadtorque; 06-11-2008 at 19:03.

  8. #18
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,147
    Images
    57
    Take a look at the Skeeter Beeter Pro from Travel Hammock. Here's the link http://www.thetravelhammock.com/prod...keeter_pro.htm.
    Chris

  9. #19
    Senior Member cavediver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Posts
    826
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Hope I dont sound like I'm trying to argue, after all I dont even have a hammock. These are just things I need to deal with if I get and are in part determining factors in getting one. I didnt even think about the increased weight/tension/forces placed on the hammock parts while bouncing around trying to change. I looked at the specs for the Clark NA. The max load is700lbs load with 1710lbs rope strength do you think this would be enough to compensate for a 210lbs guy trying to change? I guess if not I really need to look into a very large tarp that I could almost make a tent around me and use this to change. What do you all do when you need to change and dont want people to see you?

    It will hold you trying to change with nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo problem I way somewhere between 240 and 250ish and I flop and bounce in mine sleeping and changing or reaching for something and have never had any problems at all.

    although there are allot of hammocks out there be sure to get one that suites you needs some on this forum have bought and sold so many hammock's trying to find the right one.

    Now I am not pushing any one hammock but that is why I went with what I have now because I didn't want to have to buy all the other stuff to make it work. and for what is worth out of all the hammocks I have looked at the Clark and Claytor are the ones that I was eyeing a year ago when I was looking. There strength's of material and ropes seemed to be where I needed them to be because of my size and being fairly tall. and they where the closest thing to a three or even 4 season hammock out there that you did'nt have to buy a bunch of other crap to make it work. There are those out there that like an open hammock and just a tarp and it works real well for them but not for what I wanted. Being able to set up on ground was another big thing for me I like to have options.

    Good luck on finding what will work for you and please dont go out and buy one just cause it looks good make sure it works for what you going to put it through.

  10. #20
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    It will hold you trying to change with nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo problem I way somewhere between 240 and 250ish and I flop and bounce in mine sleeping and changing or reaching for something and have never had any problems at all.

    although there are allot of hammocks out there be sure to get one that suites you needs some on this forum have bought and sold so many hammock's trying to find the right one.

    Now I am not pushing any one hammock but that is why I went with what I have now because I didn't want to have to buy all the other stuff to make it work. and for what is worth out of all the hammocks I have looked at the Clark and Claytor are the ones that I was eyeing a year ago when I was looking. There strength's of material and ropes seemed to be where I needed them to be because of my size and being fairly tall. and they where the closest thing to a three or even 4 season hammock out there that you did'nt have to buy a bunch of other crap to make it work. There are those out there that like an open hammock and just a tarp and it works real well for them but not for what I wanted. Being able to set up on ground was another big thing for me I like to have options.

    Good luck on finding what will work for you and please dont go out and buy one just cause it looks good make sure it works for what you going to put it through.
    I was waiting on you to chime in, CaveDiver!

    I picked the Clark for the same reasons, but I like having the options some of the other hammocks provide as well. My Clark is the easiest and quickest system I have, and I love the weathershield and storage pockets. I believe that the Clark is probably one of the best made if not the best made hammocks out there, having compared a bunch now, and probably wouldn't be a problem constantly bouncing around in it changing, but I don't like putting the extra torque on all the "fittings", so to speak. I know I wouldn't trust it at all in some of my other hammocks and especially in my DIY - I know my own sewing.

Similar Threads

  1. New HH Explorer Deluxe + SS :D
    By Leebums in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 19:14
  2. WTB HH Explorer Deluxe
    By peggy29forever in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 23:08
  3. Explorer Deluxe vs Explorer Ultralite
    By bcaron in forum Hennessy Hammocks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 14:03
  4. HH Explorer Deluxe w/ 2Q-ZQ Mod 4
    By jtbradyl in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 18:30
  5. HH explorer deluxe or UL
    By hasselhoff in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 16:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •