Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY

Is it possible to wash the "new" smell out?

I purchased an Explorer last October in the sale, and the fabric has a smell that irritates me and I'm wondering if anyone has washed their HH in any way shape or form?

I may just use the laundry tub and some warm water and soak it a while and let it air dry. A dash of baking soda might be mild enough and may help remove the odors.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been bothered and what you may have done about it. I have not contacted the folks at Hennessy yet but will if no one has advise here.

Thanks in advance!

Steve J

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    ZQ here....I have washed Tim's hammocks in a front loader with a mild detergent on a gentle cycle several times. I hang the hammock to dry. They come out clean and smelling good.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

After one particulary sweaty backpacking trip in southern VA in July, this lady who has hot flashes washed pretty much ALL of her gear once home. The hammock and my stripped Gossamer Gear Mairposa went into my front-loading washer and emerged in great shape. I used the gentle cycle, as the poster before me, and Atsko Sport-Wash. Sometimes this product can be found in sporting goods stores/sections. I tested it for BGT several years ago and continue to recommend it. Once or twice a year, I order a couple of half-gallons of Sport-Wash along with Water-Guard and some others of their products.

A tub and baking soda should also take care of any odor. Another trick might be to sprinkle the hammock with carpet deodorizer and seal into a plastic bag before washing the hammock. I had a lovely sequined top years ago that picked up a musty odor as it was shipped from China. The sequins were on a thin silk base and the garment was not supposed to be washed or dry-cleaned. I couldn't get rid of the smell until I tried "Carpet Fresh" and a good airing out. (This was before Febreeze, etc.)

Most of the "new smell" is likely to go away with some use, but if it bothers you, one of the methods mentioned should work.

Regards,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I hang full time in my BB and wash it once or twice a week as needed just like I would wash my bedding. I use liquid tide with bleach alternative. Been doing this for the last 10 months and my hammock is still like new.
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I, like many others, have different ways to get that new smell out.

To get THOSE smells out I use my front loader and just the normal, no scent, HE detergent. I like some of the scents in the fabric softners though.

Reminds me, my grand-daughter jumped in mine this weekend and had some syrup on her somewhere. I need to wash mine when I get home tonight. You can just turn it inside out like I have, but then the dogs found that spot and 'cleaned' it for me. While I was sleeping last night, which gave me a nice wet spot on my leg. Yummmy, maple flavored Dog Spit.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    This hammock hobby just keeps getting more expensive! Now I'm contemplating a front loader!

My top loader has ground up any number of towels and tshirts so nothing like a quilt or hammock would be trusted in it.

I thought I was saving up for TQ/UQ. Sigh

I think the arm n hammer tub soak will have to do for now.

Thanks all for the advise, much appreciated.

Steve

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Top loader? Use if for hand wash and centrifuge.

Nice place for lots of water to do a hand wash.

Just be sure that when the top goes down, the selector is set on the last rinse cycle, which will only centrifuge the contents (and maybe spritz some water, for a further rinse.)

That centrifuging is worth lots in making shorter work of getting rid of soap for cleaner rinses and drying quilts (and woolens, for that matter.)

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Now I'm contemplating a front loader!
    Recently upgraded my ancient top-loader to a high-efficiency front loader and my wife and I are very happy with it- You can really pack it full and it is very gentle with clothes, since it's just a tumbling action. I haven't (and probably won't) try to wash big things (like a sleeping bag) in it, but for everyday washing, it is great.

I had my top-loader for almost 30 years, so I don't expect the new one to last like the old one did
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Hennessey Exp Zippereed Dlx A-Sim
    Tarp
    Hennessey 70D "HEX
    Insulation
    BA+Mtn,Hinman pad
    Suspension
    straps & carabiner
    Images
    For what I wear when kayaking, (wet suit, booties, gloves, dry top, etc) I fill a large tub with plain water and add 1 cup regular vinegar (about 10 gallons of water.) I agitate the mixture up and make sure everything is soaking in it for about 5 minutes. I then dump that water out and do a clean water rinse on everything. After drying all that funky smell is gone. Works great!
    Greg Dunlap
    Santa Rosa, CA
    38.478156 N
    122.754598 W
    157 feet above sea level

[email protected]

Vietnam Security Police Life Member 361
    366th SPS K-9 Association Webmaster
    Da Nang, RVN TET 1968 - TET 1969
    Blackie 129X

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dunlap View Post
    For what I wear when kayaking, (wet suit, booties, gloves, dry top, etc) I fill a large tub with plain water and add 1 cup regular vinegar (about 10 gallons of water.) I agitate the mixture up and make sure everything is soaking in it for about 5 minutes. I then dump that water out and do a clean water rinse on everything. After drying all that funky smell is gone. Works great!
    And it kills all the biologicals causing the odor!

Vinegar is commonly used at aquariums for just this purpose, give it a shot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast