Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle

Lightbulb Triangle hammock design

So I've got some extra material laying around and I'm tossing some ideas around and I'm liking the idea of a triangle hammock. I'm thinking pretty much like a regular channel end hammock and gather it at one end to form the head end and then having some webbing run the length of the sides and forming loops at the foot ends. You would have three sets of straps and three whoopie slings... But keeping this a channel end hammock also allows you to take off a whoopie sling and run it through the channel to create a gathered end hammock if you only have two trees. I would also have a cord run from one side to the other on the foot end with a loop in the middle. This would allow for simple use with traditional underquilts as well as give an attachment point for a bug net system. Anyways I'm liking the idea... I've only got about 20mins invested on the idea at this point but I'd love to hear some of your opinions before I order the webbing
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    That's a neat idea. What are your reasons for wanting to try this? Are you wanting a hammock that doesn't swing? I would think you would have the gathered end for your feet, leaving the wider end of the hammock for your head and shoulders. It seems that trying to adjust three hitch points so that your hammock lay "evenly" might prove tedious. Plus, you've already stated the potential for having to adjust your setup for two trees, should three workable trees not be available. I suspect that you might find yourself using a two-tree hitch more often than not. What about the idea of setting up the wide end as a bridge hammock, using a pole to keep the end pulled wide? That would let you have your triangle hammock, but only need two hitch points.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I'm not having a lot of luck visualizing the advantages of this but would be curious to see one in use.
    How would a tarp work with this?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    How about a bridge end on the head end and a gathered end at the foot end. I think that it would be less complicated then trying three trees.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I'm kind of going between trying this design and just making a bridge hammock. The reasoning for me to have the open end be the foot end is because I really don't mind a gathered end for my head, but my feet dislike the gathered end just a tad. I also don't like the idea of spreader bars. Three trees isn't that hard to find where I I camp mostly, so I'm not overly concerned about that.... On the flip side, the bridge hammock design is proven, and it works.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

• + New Posts