Thread: SuperShelter?

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

SuperShelter?

Hi Everyone!

Thinking of uppgrading my HH UL with the SS, yet I'm not sure about it. It seems that alot of people are having difficulties with the underpad, it rips, doesn't stay in place and above all it doesn't provide the added warmth of which it claims to give. This is what I've read from BGT reviews, allthough they where written when there was both a torso pad and a kidney pad, which has let me believe that the whole system has changed since then.

What are your experiances whith this system, and would you recommend it for use at temperatures around 30 degrees? Or should I just abandon the idea and get the lime green JRB nest?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    Hi Everyone!

Thinking of uppgrading my HH UL with the SS, yet I'm not sure about it. It seems that alot of people are having difficulties with the underpad, it rips, doesn't stay in place and above all it doesn't provide the added warmth of which it claims to give. This is what I've read from BGT reviews, allthough they where written when there was both a torso pad and a kidney pad, which has let me believe that the whole system has changed since then.

What are your experiances whith this system, and would you recommend it for use at temperatures around 30 degrees? Or should I just abandon the idea and get the lime green JRB nest?
    I'd go with the Nest myself. BillyBob58 should be responding shortly as he has a lot of experience with the supershelter.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hi Everyone!

See my recent trip report where I used the SS down to 23 degrees in the field:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4648

I haven't had any problems with rips in my SS, but I do have a puncture in the OCF pad caused by a tree branch (my own fault). A small hole doesn't seem to impact the insulation characteristics.

My experience so far with the SS is that they MUST be used with a space blanket at temperatures below 40F, which does increase the hassle factor a bit. I have had no problems with the underpad moving around, and frankly with the way it is attached to the hammock I'm a little puzzled how that could happen.

I haven't tried the underquilts yet, the only other alternative I can comment on is an inflatable pad which I tried a few times before I bought my SS. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, and I didn't like the nuisance of a pad inside the hammock - every time I rolled over it moved on me.

Your profile doesn't say where you're from. I think if I had to sum up what I've taken away so far from my own experience and reading this forum is that the down underquilts seem optimal for dry conditions/climates or when used with a larger tarp, but the SS might have an edge if you hike a lot where rain and moisture is more of an issue, you use the stock diamond HH tarp, and cost is a consideration for you.

The SS does make getting in/out of your HH a bit more challenging, but so do most of the other alternatives.

Hope this helps,

--Kurt
    Last edited by kwpapke; 06-08-2008 at 06:58. Reason: grammatical correction

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Might also consider the JRB No Sniveler. I have both the Nest and No Sniveler and like the NS better due to the head hole in the middle. Although both work well worn as insulation. It is easier IMO as well as others to just push the Nest/No Sniveler aside when entering/exiting a Hennessy hammock.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Your profile doesn't say where you're from. I think if I had to sum up what I've taken away so far from my own experience and reading this forum is that the down underquilts seem optimal for dry conditions/climates or when used with a larger tarp, but the SS might have an edge if you hike a lot where rain and moisture is more of an issue, you use the stock diamond HH tarp, and cost is a consideration for you.
    I live in Sweden so temperatures do drop quite a bit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I'd go with the Nest myself. BillyBob58 should be responding shortly as he has a lot of experience with the supershelter.
    No time now, but maybe later today.

Images
    Hi Everyone!

If you do a search here you will find a ton of pros and cons on the old SS. It has always kept me warm enough once I learned to use it. I have certainly done fine at about 30* or even below, although I ALWAYS use the Space blanket and often add ( if it is going to be well below freezing ) either the HH kidney/torso pads, and/or clothing, and or a Garlington insulator, for temps into the high teens. In my experience, it more or less does what HH says it will.

I have poked two diferent large whole in the pad. No big deal, add a bit of seam sealer and sew or tape together, goood as new. My pad always stays in place, no problem.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Hi Chris,

I have gone the whole way with HH, using an Exlorer Ultralight with Super Shelter and underpad. I have also incorporated an inexpensive emergency blanket into the mix, and have had 2Q perform his bug net zipper mod to make the HH a top loader. I use the large HH silnylon hex fly, and have modified the tieouts with shock cord per a couple of threads here to keep tension on the fly.

I have successfully slept in this set up over a dozen times, and have not had any cold issues down to about 36* F EXCEPT when I used an inexpensive sleeping bag. I now use a Sierra Designs 800 fill down bag rated to 15*F and sleep comfortably over a wide range of temperatures from the mid 30's to the mid to high 60's.

The underpad can be a bit bulky, but I have taken to rolling it up tight in an aftermarket silnylon bag for protection and strapping on the outside of my pack for transport. This has proven to not be a problem. It is remarkably resiliant. Once deployed between my hammock and SS it stays in place and provides more than adequate coverage. The current HH system does not incorporate additional pads unless you make or use some of your own design or making ( like a Garlington Insulator or Sgt. Rock pocket pad").

It is quite difficult to enter and exit the HH from the bottom entry with my setup fully in place. The same may be said for an underquilt but I have no experience with those. As I mentioned, I had 2Questions modify my HH to include a full zipper down the left side and a 1/2 zipper down the right side. This gives me full access to the hammock as a top loader and eliminates any bottom access issues. The hammock is quit simple to use with this modification.

I have experienced some condensation after using the emergency blanket, but this has proven to be minor and limited to droplets on the emergency blanket itself. I have never had any condensation inside the hammock or on my sleeping bag.

Speaking from my own experience, this setup works well across a wide range of temperatures and is quite fun to sleep in. I do make a point of sleeping in some kind of polypropylene long underwear (tops and bottoms), and I'm sure this helps somewhat. I've only had to wear a hat a couple of times.

Good luck and please feel free to revert with any specific question.

Javaman

QUOTE=Chris.Biomed;65695]Hi Everyone!

What are your experiances whith this system, and would you recommend it for use at temperatures around 30 degrees? Or should I just abandon the idea and get the lime green JRB nest?[/QUOTE]

I use the SS and have found it to have a limited temperature range without adding additional bulky OCF insulation. I haven't use a space blanket with it though. My main issue is that when you spread out in the hammock your arms, knees, shoulders come off of the insulatated area onto cold spots.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    I use the SS and have found it to have a limited temperature range without adding additional bulky OCF insulation. I haven't use a space blanket with it though. My main issue is that when you spread out in the hammock your arms, knees, shoulders come off of the insulatated area onto cold spots.
    For some reason, people seem really resistant to using the space blanket as per the directions of HH. But it is an integral part of the system as designed, and contributes far more warmth compared to any minor negatives, IMO and in my experience. Probably a Heatsheet would work even better than the Walmart $2/2oz blanket. It just ain't going to work as advertised without that SB, IMO.

I have access to both a PeaPod ( no experience with regular UQs) as well as what I consider the most comfortable/convenient pad approach: My Claytor No Net ( which in addition also works best with my PeaPod). I think these other two approaches both have strong reasons to use them, but I still have not 100% made up my mind to dump my HHUL Exp with SS for my next long hike into deep wilderness this fall. And that is because I have two trips worth of success and comfort with that approach, it does not detract from bottom comfort or side shoulder room at all, and I think it would handle any water related mishaps well, though not as well as a ccf pad in the Claytor. If it was going to be super cold I would go with the pod and/or pads, but with extreme lows no lower than 15* and probably usually 25 - 35*F, any of these systems are OK for me. Though it will require more experience to be comfy in the SS below 30* for sure. ( avoid the deadly GAP!) With the PeaPod and a space blanket, I was ok at 10*F. But of course it is very expensive and you have to obsess with keeping it dry, a constant worry if you are days from the nearest trailhead. Not that it can't be done, however, stuff happens. I guess also, it depends on where you are going, how wet it will be, and how difficult is a bailout if everything goes wrong. ( leaking tarps/stuff sacks etc)

Javaman:The current HH system does not incorporate additional pads unless you make or use some of your own design or making ( like a Garlington Insulator or Sgt. Rock pocket pad").
    There are the torso/kidney pads, a great help for 3 to 5 ozs. ( are these still available?) And of course, just like with a CCF pad, there is no reason why you couldn't do two full length HH pads, plus clothing and/or the kidney/torso pads. But I guess that would be pretty bulky.

Garlington insulator is cheap, low weight, big warmth boost, and almost no bulk.

Though I love my PeaPod more than the rest, and a pad in my Claytor is super simple, effective, ultralight and dirt cheap, there is still something appealing to me about the SS under some conditions, at least to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast