Looking for sewing machine advice...

I showed my wife this diy forum and she is very much amicable to the idea of making a lot of our own gear and doing some experimenting. She's the one who sews, but her machine is an old bottom of the line plastic Viking that is clunky and jams up a lot. I decided to get her a new machine (one that I can also learn on) and I'm set on getting a Janome. Would this one be enough to make/repair some gear (stuff sacks, utility bags, quilts, maybe even make a hammock)? Janome Magnolia 7318

Or, is it worth the extra c-note to spring for this one? It seems to me (but I am a dunce with this stuff) to be the same machine, but with an aluminum body. Janome HD1000

Any opinions on these two will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO if one is going to make gear the bells and whistles on more modern sewing machines are wasted space. That having been said... in the hands of a seamstress(ter) the bells and whistles can make a tremendous world of difference. My advice... take the viking to a good repair shop and have it serviced properly. Viking is not a bottom of the line machine in any era and the casing may be plastic but I'll lay you dollars to donuts the innards are just gummed up and need adjustments. That becomes your machine for gear making. Then take your wife to the sewing center and let her pick out the machine _she_ wants to do the sewing _she_ wants to do. I can assure you she will surpass gear making in jig time. She has her good machine which you touch only with kid gloves. you have an excellent gear making machine that you can run any thing through and she can smile while you do it.

Is Janome worth the money? Absolutely. My wife has one and wouldn't part with it for anything. I have a "low end" Vikig that will sew rings around anything "lowend" now days. Get the best of both worlds. and while you are spending money... buy your wife a serger. She will love you for it. 4 thread is the way to go. Even if you don't know the difference at this point... she will and then you will and you will all live happily ever after.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Janome makes a fine machine. I have the Janome DC2010 with Quilting table and love it. But like stated above, I would let her choose the one she wants.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO if one is going to make gear the bells and whistles on more modern sewing machines are wasted space. That having been said... in the hands of a seamstress(ter) the bells and whistles can make a tremendous world of difference. My advice... take the viking to a good repair shop and have it serviced properly. Viking is not a bottom of the line machine in any era and the casing may be plastic but I'll lay you dollars to donuts the innards are just gummed up and need adjustments. That becomes your machine for gear making. Then take your wife to the sewing center and let her pick out the machine _she_ wants to do the sewing _she_ wants to do. I can assure you she will surpass gear making in jig time. She has her good machine which you touch only with kid gloves. you have an excellent gear making machine that you can run any thing through and she can smile while you do it.

Is Janome worth the money? Absolutely. My wife has one and wouldn't part with it for anything. I have a "low end" Vikig that will sew rings around anything "lowend" now days. Get the best of both worlds. and while you are spending money... buy your wife a serger. She will love you for it. 4 thread is the way to go. Even if you don't know the difference at this point... she will and then you will and you will all live happily ever after.
    Great response

We have decided to take the machine to a local shop to get it serviced/tuned-up since it has never had this done. By the way, it is the same machine I found in the following blog post (Husqvarna Viking Classica 100).

http://www.sewinspiredblog.com/2007/...-tutorial.html

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    I have an old clunky Viking and it works great for what I do. I wouldn't trade it for anything fancier because I do not know how to use any of it anyway. Seamstress, I'm not.

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    harbor frieght
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    eno crap straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Great response
    I 3rd that. Also keep in mind use the correct weight needle for the material you are sewing.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm not familiar with the Janome brand. I use an old refurb 503 Singer and love it. Like others have said, the bells and whistles don't mean a lot to me, but if she does other projects, KEEP HER HAPPY!
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

• + New Posts