Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images

Total replacement of quilt suspension with hooks?

I remember someone mentioning trying this or doing this. It has been on my list of things to experiment with, but I am finding I've got more things to do, than time to do them in this week. So instead of starting from scratch when I do get the time I was hoping someone has already explored this path and can share some lessons learned.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Well, no lesson learned. What I did was sew on some 1/4 inch wide white elastic, about 8 inches of it, up by my head at the zipper. I sewed every 1/2 inch along it, so I had about 15 places where I could attach the hook to. I sewed the Dutch UQ hook, to the "left head corner" of my WB UQ. I sewed a hook on all four corners of the UQ, but so far, only using two of them. I then set it all up and decided where I wanted the right foot 8 inches of elastic sewed. Took it all down and inside and sewed that the same way.
    Funny/spooking thing setting it up again. I hung the WBBB, used the UQ shock cord to attach to the gathered head and foot end, regular set up. I got into the hammock and adjusted/fiddled with the head end. Hooking it at the mid-point. I tossed around a bit, adjusted the UQ. Laid there. then I got up and (queue Twilight-Zone theme) the FOOT end was already hooked! I then disconnected the shock cord from the gathered ends. The UQ has been "hanging" like that about two weeks now. No issues. I'm not sure if I'll bother to sew the "right shoulder" and "left foot" elastic on. If I was only going to use the Dutch UQ Clips, then I think I would sew it on. that would give four places where the UQ is held to the underside of the hammock.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Well, no lesson learned. What I did was sew on some 1/4 inch wide white elastic, about 8 inches of it, up by my head at the zipper. I sewed every 1/2 inch along it, so I had about 15 places where I could attach the hook to. I sewed the Dutch UQ hook, to the "left head corner" of my WB UQ. I sewed a hook on all four corners of the UQ, but so far, only using two of them. I then set it all up and decided where I wanted the right foot 8 inches of elastic sewed. Took it all down and inside and sewed that the same way.
    Funny/spooking thing setting it up again. I hung the WBBB, used the UQ shock cord to attach to the gathered head and foot end, regular set up. I got into the hammock and adjusted/fiddled with the head end. Hooking it at the mid-point. I tossed around a bit, adjusted the UQ. Laid there. then I got up and (queue Twilight-Zone theme) the FOOT end was already hooked! I then disconnected the shock cord from the gathered ends. The UQ has been "hanging" like that about two weeks now. No issues. I'm not sure if I'll bother to sew the "right shoulder" and "left foot" elastic on. If I was only going to use the Dutch UQ Clips, then I think I would sew it on. that would give four places where the UQ is held to the underside of the hammock.
    That sounds like what I was thinking of. I was thinking that I've already got the head and foot hook where I want them using them to guide in the quilt while the suspension held it up. I got some of the plastic hooks that clip onto the hem:

and had a thought that I could put these with some short shock cord leads onto the other corners. That way the two ladders I already have will get those corners and hold it where I want it, and the two plastic clip hooks can get the other two corners to the hem. I don't know how well that will work though.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    might work. Might pop right off the hem also. Test it would be the only way. You'd attach that clip to the other two ends of the UQ then?

Where did you get that clip?
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    might work. Might pop right off the hem also. Test it would be the only way. You'd attach that clip to the other two ends of the UQ then?

Where did you get that clip?
    Dutch, check out the site for his new plastic hooks.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Dutch, check out the site for his new plastic hooks.
    Now you did it! My wallet is running down the hall away from me, the credit cards are screaming something about their numbers are wearing off.....

I saw those plastic hooks on Dutch, but they are gone now. He showed about 5 different one's all in one photo and I couldn't tell which was for what. Maybe he is out now, as I don't find them now.
    Call me Junior

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm not up to speed on the DQHs (dutch quilt hooks)...so they are available in metal and plastic-which is better and why?
    I think I see as your goal to be able to clip the UQ onto elastic ladders,ladders sewn onto the four 'corners' of the hammock-right? and this will eliminate the need for the classic long shock cords that run and connect to the gathered end (or in some cases up to triangle thingies)....
    Kinda cool if I've got it right in my mind.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I'm not up to speed on the DQHs (dutch quilt hooks)...so they are available in metal and plastic-which is better and why?
    At this point I cannot answer that question. The only idea I do have is that the plastic ones do have a greater variety of applications at this point, and should also be lighter. But at this scale I think it is a moot point to discuss weight.
    I think I see as your goal to be able to clip the UQ onto elastic ladders,ladders sewn onto the four 'corners' of the hammock-right? and this will eliminate the need for the classic long shock cords that run and connect to the gathered end (or in some cases up to triangle thingies)....
    Kinda cool if I've got it right in my mind.
    That is what I want to find out. Personally I hate a bunch of cord running all over to get tangled up. The less the better IMO. So with these new do-dads I want to see if it is feasible to replace all the elastic cord with a few hooks and maybe some shorter cords.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Rock, I'm with you on avoiding cord spaghetti in the pack/stuff sacs-that's one reason I love the pole mod over the side pull outs.
    Just sitting here I can see no reason why clipping onto the four corners would not work.
    I stuff the whole rig=UQ/TQ/Hammock into one stuff sack so I'd want to feel assured that the quilt hooks wont poke a hole into a quilt while cramming into the stuff sack.
    Also seems like the ladders must be elastic and not 'solid' grosgraine (sp?)....that somewhere in the system there has to be some give and take.

Now when you put on your first round of ladders you gave it what, a 5-6 inch range of clipping in? This to accomodate different thicknesses of quilts right?

I can see a day in near future when UQs are provided with hooks already on them and gathered end hammocks with ladders already in place.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Rock, I'm with you on avoiding cord spaghetti in the pack/stuff sacs-that's one reason I love the pole mod over the side pull outs.
    Just sitting here I can see no reason why clipping onto the four corners would not work.
    I stuff the whole rig=UQ/TQ/Hammock into one stuff sack so I'd want to feel assured that the quilt hooks wont poke a hole into a quilt while cramming into the stuff sack.
    Also seems like the ladders must be elastic and not 'solid' grosgraine (sp?)....that somewhere in the system there has to be some give and take.
    I agree with you, though mine doesn't have an give at this point since I just used paracord.
    Now when you put on your first round of ladders you gave it what, a 5-6 inch range of clipping in? This to accomodate different thicknesses of quilts right?
    Pretty much on the money there. That and In summer I tend to want my quilt more towards my feet and in the winter more towards my head.
    I can see a day in near future when UQs are provided with hooks already on them and gathered end hammocks with ladders already in place.
    That could very well happen. Especially for companies like Warbonnet who make both the quilts and the hammocks.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast